By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - I just watched the Man of Steel. I have no idea why reviews are so mediocre.

Fei-Hung said:
Hated the film and contemplated walking out of it a few times. I knew this was going to happen due to influences probably from Christopher Nolan - making everything dark, depressing and apocalyptic.

Superman had zero personality. He just seemed to float through the film like a fart with no personality.

Jor-El's uploaded guide presence thing was equally 2 dimensional.

Superman is meant to be super intelligent and his father was supposed to have educated him on earth (being a super scientist himself an all), but here Superman was a bit on the dumb side.

So much stuff made no sense whatsoever, like:

1) Why is Superman such a boring fart? Where did his personality go?
2) Every Tom Dick and Harry from his past knows who Superman is due to his heroics before he got his disguise and him then going on national TV to give himself up etc
3) Superman would never have fought them on earth due to the large number of casualties and damage done to the city. Even in the original Superman film, he took them away from the city. Here, Superman was just as destructive and cavalier as the villain.
4) The end made no sense whatsoever. Superman got stronger as the Kryptonian gravity got stronger. That shit is illogical. When he was at the center of that device, he should have been crippled and completely drained. How the hell he broke all the laws of physics from any given planet is damn right miraculous. They should have just added a flying Unicorn with a rainbow shooting out of its rear end!

Above everything else, there was no depth to the character or characters, the entire film was just one big giant glorified DragonBall Z fight scene, barely any story worth remembering, and the film just lingered on. There was no urgency or climax or build up, it all just felt like a weird state of dream like when you are suffering from sleep depression.

Considering what this film could have been, this was very disappointing. Christopher Nolan's approach worked to an extent for Batman since Batman is set in a dark and depressing world (made colourful by the over the top caricature like villains) and the approach fits it, but Man of Steel has pretty much butchered anything Superman couldh have been. There goes any hope for a decent JLA film -_-

LOL exactly my sentiments... 1> Zod and superman in the end comes down to earth bring down satellite debries with them, louise sees them falling far and in the next scene in the museum she is with them talk about teleportation...2> city is completely totalled but somehow daily planet building survives and one guy has two tickets for some games....and everyone was back in the office working... And the biggest shit was Louis Lane knew clark kent is superman... also Going to a church and asking a priest wht he should do. That is just poor writing..

Around the Network

Here are the problems:

1. The first part was very slow and somewhat boring.

2. The second part was very generic and after seeing a guy get punched through a building a couple of times, it gets boring.

3. Some unneeded elements that bring the experience down - the plight of the Daily Planet people, Russell Crowe overstaying his welcome as an omniscient ghost.

Also, why was Lois Lane called to be on the spaceship as well?

And since when is Superman such a douche and all-around unlikable character?

HikenNoAce said:
The movie was mediocre. There's no two ways about it. The action was very generic as well. It made Brandon Routh and Superman Returns look good.

yup true!!

Unfortunately, the movie wasn't very good at all. The action set-pieces were clunky, uninspired, and surprisingly boring. There was zero chemistry between the two leads, and the flashback sequences, however well-intended, were very sentimental and forced.

The critics got it right this time.

people are used to the same old story with a little twist added that is the problem with superman movies and why people dont like it. for know only batman begins has done a great job with story telling. so there wasnt any room left for something more fresh. I think they should have just made a sequel to superman returns or never even bothered with the origin story.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network

I thought it was God aweful. Very cheesy, very average. I didn't hype it up as I didn't expect much to begin with. I thought it started ok but as the movie moved on it. The plot was bad imo and I disliked the character a lot. Many seem to agree with me and apart from the fighting not many things clicked for me.

Fei-Hung said:
Hated the film and contemplated walking out of it a few times. I knew this was going to happen due to influences probably from Christopher Nolan - making everything dark, depressing and apocalyptic.

Superman had zero personality. He just seemed to float through the film like a fart with no personality.

Jor-El's uploaded guide presence thing was equally 2 dimensional.

Superman is meant to be super intelligent and his father was supposed to have educated him on earth (being a super scientist himself an all), but here Superman was a bit on the dumb side.

So much stuff made no sense whatsoever, like:

1) Why is Superman such a boring fart? Where did his personality go?
2) Every Tom Dick and Harry from his past knows who Superman is due to his heroics before he got his disguise and him then going on national TV to give himself up etc
3) Superman would never have fought them on earth due to the large number of casualties and damage done to the city. Even in the original Superman film, he took them away from the city. Here, Superman was just as destructive and cavalier as the villain.
4) The end made no sense whatsoever. Superman got stronger as the Kryptonian gravity got stronger. That shit is illogical. When he was at the center of that device, he should have been crippled and completely drained. How the hell he broke all the laws of physics from any given planet is damn right miraculous. They should have just added a flying Unicorn with a rainbow shooting out of its rear end!

Above everything else, there was no depth to the character or characters, the entire film was just one big giant glorified DragonBall Z fight scene, barely any story worth remembering, and the film just lingered on. There was no urgency or climax or build up, it all just felt like a weird state of dream like when you are suffering from sleep depression.

Considering what this film could have been, this was very disappointing. Christopher Nolan's approach worked to an extent for Batman since Batman is set in a dark and depressing world (made colourful by the over the top caricature like villains) and the approach fits it, but Man of Steel has pretty much butchered anything Superman couldh have been. There goes any hope for a decent JLA film -_-

I totally agree. Some of the plot holes in the movie were laughable. Especially towards the end, it just had that generic sci fi feel which I really really don't like.

Also never got how Kal El started flying around having been on Earth for a couple of days. Took Superman years before he could achieve that. I honestly tried to enjoy it but some of it was utterly ridiculous :/

taus90 said:
HikenNoAce said:
The movie was mediocre. There's no two ways about it. The action was very generic as well. It made Brandon Routh and Superman Returns look good.

yup true!!

I didn't dislike Superman Returns as much as everyone else, but everyone suddenly revisioning of how great is was now is a joke.

Yep, I agree with the review. To me, it's way behind the dark knight, Iron man or The amazing spiderman. WAY behind them.

The man of steel second trailer was fantastic : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVu3gS7iJu4. But that's about it. I wish the movie was as inspiring as the trailer.

Darc Requiem said:
taus90 said:
HikenNoAce said:

yup true!!

I didn't dislike Superman Returns as much as everyone else, but everyone suddenly revisioning of how great is was now is a joke.

That's how bad Man of Steel was.