By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - I just watched the Man of Steel. I have no idea why reviews are so mediocre.

At least they removed the y front slip from this suit. Zat mayke eet look layss domb.

Around the Network

What was so great about the action scenes? They were very generic to me.

I thought it was a good film, really enjoyable experience. Not amazing but well worth it.

Someone answer me - why did Zod ask that Lois Lane be on the spaceship?

I thought it was OK but the character development was on the weak side, too much CGI, too much throwing through buildings. It lacked the magic of the original and the realism I was hoping for. It was OK, not great.

Around the Network

I give the move a 6.5/10

Following things I did not like:
1. The Kryptonians looked like warhammer characters.
2. Superman was a loner and worked odd jobs away from home.
3. His father was meant to teach him.
4. Jonathan Kent went to rescue the dog from the tornado and as it approached he lifted that hand like stop its hammer time. She be right let me stand there and die.
5. Superman said "You think you can threaten my mother", how corny is this crap?
6. Destroyed a city, superman wouldn't allow that.
7. Too much CGI and little character building.

pezus said:
Soleron said:
I didn't watch it, because I feel like we're in superhero film overload at the moment? I don't see films for explosions and witty one liners, I want them to be deep and intelligent. Recently all these Iron Mans, Avengers, Supermans and Batmans come off as passive entertainment only.

MoS doesn't have many witty one-liners. It's a pretty serious film, with epic action. You can't expect every film to be deep and intelligent

I can expect every film I watch to be those things or I'm not paying for a ticket.

(or my family made me watch Avengers because "they spent a lot of money on it" ugh)

When it quieted down and focused on actually developing its characters, Man of Steel was one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. Henry Cavil pulled off a low-key, reclusive Superman as well as anyone could, and his occasional goofy grin didn't feel out of place. It tackles questions about Superman's background that most takes on Superman are simply too chicken to ask, like how he managed to cope with his powers at a young age, or how he could save people without the world finding out about him. That church scene was fine (love how the guy gulped when Superman said "I'm the one they're looking for"). What's the problem with it? Superman grew up in the Bible Belt. And even if he isn't a believer, he wouldn't be the first to turn to a "higher power" when the going gets tough. Which is interesting, since Superman already is a god among men. But perhaps anything suggesting a Christian/Conservative message in a film must immediately receive hate. Even though as a whole, the movie doesn't go beyond "America > Krypton", which is pretty much the same in the comics.

Point being, the movie gets so many points from me for showing how Superman became a boy scout, that I can forgive several of its flaws (like some of the action sequences going much longer than they should, and the whole intro seeming like a very different movie from the rest of the film, and Lois needing to be saved more than once for no real plot reason). And how it was resolved couldn't have been better - Superman had to do something he would never do otherwise. In a movie about several dilemmas facing its protagonist, the final one is the most powerful of them all.

Now to address some plot points:
Superman doesn't control where he fights Zod and his cronies. Zod and company could simply smash up a city even more while Superman fails to lure them to the Sahara Desert. And that would be an even worse scenario, wouldn't it? At least he helps some of the soldiers not die. That's the point.
The gravity pulse exists to essentially pound Earth into Krypton. Basically, the atmosphere being created around the machine is what would cause Superman some problems, not the gravity pulse being emitted. It's quite possible for him to have flown inside of it - just very difficult and painful. That's the point.
Superman's father would give anything for his son to remain undiscovered. Does that go against how he was in the comics? Perhaps. Is his portrayal effective in the movie? I believe so, even if it harms his likability at times. The point being his views are opposite of Superman's biological father.

As someone well-versed in Superman fiction, the movie has my seal of approval. It's better than most of the Superman-branded crap that's been shoved down our throats (especially in recent times), and it's faithful where it counts. The portrayal of Zod in particular really got to the heart and motivation of the villain, and Krypton was pretty faithful to the source material. If a sequel is done, maybe there will be an equally good Lex Luthor as the villain, more faithful to the comics than his movie portrayals have been. Of course, that means he'd be doing something to fool the entire world into thinking that he's awesome, earning Superman's trust and completely betraying him.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Sorry, but I agree with the critics. It was average at best.

1.Superman is supposed to be a very positive superhero. This one was all sorts of depressed and lacked personality. He is nothing like the Superman I've known through other superman movies and tv series. The scene where he messes up a guy's car is completely out of character for Superman and also insanely suspicious for modern age (it would have attracted tons of attention from the media).
2. Amy Adams (or whatever her name is) is an awesome actress, but not convinving at all as Lois Lane. No chemistry between them whatsover.
3. The whole tornado scene, was one of the worst scenes I've seen in my life. Jonathan: "I know you have super powers, so let me jut go there and die trying to save our freaking dog". Clark: "hm, doesn't sound like a great plan, but sure, go ahead. I can't see any alternative anyway".
4. The bad guys figured out how their powers worked in no time. Took Clark years to figure out the most basic things.
5. His biological mother was worse than Lois. Couldn't feel bad for her at all. The actress would be better suited to play an evil witch rather one of the good guys.
6. Terrible, generic script.
7. In your face, embarassing product placement.

Still a 6 for me, as there were quite a few great things about it, the main actor being one of them. The action was good, though generic.

I had (very) low expectations coming into it, so maybe I liked it more than most people. The action sequences were incredible. It was like watching a live action Dragonball Z.

The pacing was bad in my opinion though, and a couple parts weren't that thought out. There were also too many "Superman saves at the last second" scenes.

And Lois Lane sucked.

I am the Playstation Avenger.