By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - I just watched the Man of Steel. I have no idea why reviews are so mediocre.

Panama said:
The awkward unnatural dialogue, inconsistent pacing and plot developments that make no logical sense. I say the reviews are higher than it deserves to be honest.

It's 2 hours of declamations and shit blowing up. That does not make for a good comic book movie let alone a good movie in general. Maybe we're just harder to impress over here, because the majority of people in the theatre just walked out grunting about how mediocre it was.

Shit just blows up on the third act of the movie really. And besides, that's a really bizarre thing to complain considering the reception of Superman Returns.

I honestly went to see the movie expecting a bad pacing, but found none of them. Like I said, I thought the way they handled Clark's life story was pretty good.

Around the Network
Panama said:
The awkward unnatural dialogue, inconsistent pacing and plot developments that make no logical sense. I say the reviews are higher than it deserves to be honest.

It's 2 hours of declamations and shit blowing up. That does not make for a good comic book movie let alone a good movie in general. Maybe we're just harder to impress over here, because the majority of people in the theatre just walked out grunting about how mediocre it was.

Lol what 2 hours of shit blowing up? You watched Transformers, not Man of Steel.

Totally agree. I LOVED Man of Steel...and still loved it the 2nd time. I thought the pacing was fine...I loved all the backstory and thought the cast/score/cinematography/etc. were all fantastic. People complained that there wasn't enough "humor" and levity in the movie...but if you lean too far in that direction with a character as "pure" and perfect as Superman, it quickly becomes corny. In general the DC characters aren't as multi-faceted as the Marvel characters...so if you try to make things too funny or silly like they do in those franchises, it just becomes dorky and lame. The other complaint about "too much action and over-the-top destruction" is just dumb and unfair because the only reason they say that is because ALL of the other movies have been over-the-top and people are getting fatigued from it...but Superman and Zod are actually POWERFUL enough to cause that much destruction, unlike a lot of the other heroes in the other movies.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

I don't think the film got the balance it needed for that amount of action to work at the end. I can accept certain things for a movie like the Avengers because it never really took itself seriously and had more than a handful of action sequences. With Man of Steel- the last fight scenes did everything I wanted them to do in an action movie but, for a movie that spent so much time rooting itself in reality and trying to be emotional and never had any action before that part- that level of destruction was over the top - very cartoonish- which again was okay for the Avengers, because it wasn't trying to be dramatic. And in the Avengers not only do they show them saving civilians, they also acknowledged the hundreds of thousands killed by the aliens- whereas in MOS none of that was addressed- in fact Superman caused a lot of the destruction himself.

The film also had a ton of problems with pacing, bad dialogue, forced romance and being too long.

And I still enjoyed it, but if they expect to keep the tone as dark as it was for this film- they better address the hundreds of thousands - possibly millions killed by Zod and superman's recklessness. It would make zero sense for Metropolis to accept him after all that.

it's not a dumb down movie ala transformers of course people will hate it, there's actually some good acting involved in the movie

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

Man of Steel was incredible. I watched it 3 times

I don't get what's up with the reviews either. Iron Man 3 got better reviews and I thought Man of Steel was a lot better than Iron Man 3. I don't even hate Iron Man 3, I liked it but I thought Man of Steel was far better. As for the action, there wasn't too much of it. There wasn't too little of it. It felt just right. When I imagine Superman fighting against people who are just as powerful as him, I would expect all that shit to happen. Christ, in the last Superman movie people were complaining about the lack of action. Now there's too much of it? What the hell do you people want?

I'll agree the movie wasn't perfect. It had some pacing issues but it sure as hell didn't ruin the movie. Tbh, this is probably the best modern Superman movie that could have been done. You can't do the Richard Donner Superman again. It's already been done. Superman is a hard character to make good stories and movies for. I think no matter what direction the movie would have taken, critics still would have been equally critical.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

It is weird. I thought superman returns was pretty ok to bad. But reviews seemed to like that one. But I thought this one was pretty dang good.

I know!

So far I've watched Man Of Steel, Despicable Me 2, Monsters U, and World War Z.

DM2 was 1/2 the move the first one was, yet it gets decent reviews.
MU.. well its Pixar. It was a great movie.
MoS was really good. I liked it in total and its a great reboot of Superman.
WWZ was pretty awesome with the exception that the ending was a bit of a let down though makes sense.

MOS was damn good and I don't get the whiners honestly.

yeah i thought it was amazing too, after i watched it i straight away looked up reviews / rotten tomatoes and was like WTF????

the superman fight scenes is the type of fights we have been waiting for! most epic sht ever, i just dont get it it

i thought the pacing was good, but not great and there were some silly plot points but overall it was amazing