By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Godzilla 2014: Sequel to Destroy All Monsters possible says Gareth Edwards!

Would you like to see an American Destroy All Monsters Sequel?

Yes 2 66.67%

Depends if this movie is good 1 33.33%

Hell No 0 0%

Total:3

As a diehard kaiju fan who owns all 28 Japanese Godzilla movies, I am massively hyped for this!

I am a little nervous though, given how atrocious the 1998 Tristar version was.

Around the Network

I am cautiously optimistic!

If it doesn't have a man inside a godzilla suit, i'm not interested

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Porcupine_I said:

I would say in priciple I agree with you. Even watching Pacific Rim, I couldn't help thinking that everything they did could have been done with "Suitmation", suplemented with some CGI for effects. Actors in suits just look a lot more organic and real.

I'm not NOT interested because this new American "Godzilla" is CGI. I'm just afraid it's going to suck, even IF they claim that they're big Godzilla fans and want to "Do it right". I STILL want a real new Toho film though.

I'm happy for a mindless popcorn flick, provided it's not another movie that is yet again, set in New York.
It almost feels like the Americans don't have any other cities.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
DevilRising said:
Porcupine_I said:

I would say in priciple I agree with you. Even watching Pacific Rim, I couldn't help thinking that everything they did could have been done with "Suitmation", suplemented with some CGI for effects. 

For the monsters in Pacific Rim, although they were CGI, they were designed so that they could have been a guy in a suit, shape-wise, in order to pay homage to kaiju classics. One of the making of vids said so.

If it's going to be anything like the last one that came out in the 90s then I'm jumping shit. Plus, if it doesn't have some random person screaming and pointing "It's Godzirra!" then it won't feel official . I am a fan though. I even bought the Gamecube games, so I hope it goes well.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

curl-6 said:

For the monsters in Pacific Rim, although they were CGI, they were designed so that they could have been a guy in a suit, shape-wise, in order to pay homage to kaiju classics. One of the making of vids said so.

Well that's fine, and I apprecaite Del Toro's efforts to try and be an homage to the genre. But as a lony time Kaiju film fan, I just feel that actual "guys in suits" effects, supplemented/enhanced with CGI, as has been done in the more modern Godzilla and Gamera films, just looks a lot more "real", the fights look a lot better, etc. It just looks "right" to me. Hell, even the more modern Power Ranger shows do that as well, and it looks really good.

I don't have any major proglems with Pacific Rim, outside of camerawork issues that seem to be endemic of all of Hollywood. They have this unhealthy obsession with tight, up-close shots, and rapidly switching camera angles, during all action/fight scenes. It can get rather nauseating, and it's hard to actually follow the action. It straight up ruined the Batman movie action scenes. It's not AS bad in Pacific Rim, but one of the great things about Hong Kong and Japanese cinema, in these instances, is that they know the value of STEADY CAM, and using long, wide shots, to show a constant flow of action, and to be able to see EVERYTHING that's happening. That is how action scenes should be done, to me. Or at the very least, fight scenes. The point of a fight scene, is seeing the fight unfold. You can't do that if it's just a messy jumble of images. And what I really don't get, is Del Toro didn't use that type of camerawork nearly as much in his Hellboy movies, those action and fight scenes were rather good, because they used steadier, wider long shots.

Pacific Rim was solid overall. But I would really like to hope that MAYBE the filmmakers behind this new American "Godzilla" movie, will steer away from these negative cinematography habits that I mentioned.

Ok, I'll just say it. I loved the 1998 Godzilla movie. It was really well made for the time and it was the touching story of a creature that was desperatly looking for a place to survive on this world. I thought it was great!

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Holy shit, the new design looks INCREDIBLE!
I love that it looks suit-like without appearing fake.