By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would You Like It If The Wii U Was A Normal Next Gen Console?

Would you like it if the Wii U was a normal next gen console?

Yes 130 37.79%

No 148 43.02%

See results 65 18.90%

Total:343

I was convinced that Nintendo was going to invest a lot of that gaudy profit of Wii, and put it back in horsepower, just to take away an advantage from competition. I think near-ish Xb1 specs, selling for $399, (with the gamepad) would have done a lot better, as the sole next gen option for a yr. The best of both worlds, a truly well rounded console. There would be no doubt about the upgrade from PS360, superior ports on grunt a lone, etc...& I think many who were eager to make the jump to next gen, would have, instead of "waiting" for PS4xb1.

Now for Nintendo games, it may not need such high specs for now (future 1st party games reported 1080p native), so it makes you wonder, why cripple yourself again? Is it to remain cheapest option...or...maybe they simply do not care about 3rd party. I believe its more the latter, b/c with 2 companies already doing the same thing , Nintendo doesn't want to fight for (more or less) 33% of the pie. if we want to see Nintendo "Power" again, one of MS or Sony would have to exit the market. I believe even if Wii U 'fails", they will continue their conservative route, using the cheapest/unique combo strategy for home consoles. The results of the gamecube gen. left Ninty scarred for life.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Im glad they dont make a "normal" console, that would mean we have 3 nearly identical consoles which to me is just boring. I buy Nintendo consoles for exclusives whether that be 1st, 2nd or 3rd party. Zelda, Metroid, 3D Mario, Smadh Bros and Mario Kart are enough for me to buy there console, then adding games like Pikmin, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Advance/Battalion Wars, Custom Robo and a few excellent 3rd party exclusives makes it a must have.

Playstation/Xbox have 90% of the same games so choosing one also comes down to exclusive games/features. I personally dont play much online games so paying for online is out of the question for me, especially since its a paywall for things like Netfix as well, so thats onr reason I prefer Sony to Microsoft also they have more variety in 1st party titles.

For me the perfect combo is Nintendo+Sony, its been that way for the past 2 gens and it seems like it will be that way this gen as well. That way I get all the classic Nintendo franchises, some great 3rd party exclusives, Sony's diverse 1st party library and 3rd party mulitplats

100% agree.  Last gen I went Wii/360 for price concerns ($600 for PS3 wasn't happening for me, and I wasnt' going to wait around for price cut to have a second system).  This gen I might go Wii U (already have) and PS4 for same reason.

No.

It'd be more expensive, and it wouldn't have a "retro" feel to it. These are the two main reasons I end up buying Nintendo consoles.

brendude13 said:
No.

It'd be more expensive, and it wouldn't have a "retro" feel to it. These are the two main reasons I end up buying Nintendo consoles.

I don't think it would have to be more expensive.

The Wii U is expensive already, most because of the controller and the custom chipset that Nintendo insisted on having such a low power draw on (pointless for a console IMO, but whatever).

Had they compromised with a larger console casing and let AMD put something in there that consumed a still power efficient 50-60 watts, they'd have something a heckuva lot more powerful.

No, but I wish it didn't have the gamepad and Nintendo used a better software strategy.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

Seems like an odd question, since even without the online DRM requirement, XBone is clearly the most unconventional console of the this generation. It's bundled with a far more radical interface than Nintendo's tablet controller, and places an unprecedented focus on interactive television.

The Wii U is substantially more "normal" than the Xbox One.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Zero999 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

So do you like the Wii U the way it is or would you prefer it if Nintendo went with a regular controller and put those extra recources into the console, putting it on par or really close to the X1/PS4.  Personally I don't know what the hell Nintendo was thinking with this tablet.  That controller costs them so much to make and they have not put out a single game that uses it in a way that makes people think, this is why I have a Wii U.  I'm hoping Nintendo has a game in development that they had in mind when they were making the Wii U, because if they don't come out with a game that uses the tablet to its full potential it will really hurt long term sales of the Wii U.  I would have rathered a normal console that is more powerful, what do you guys think?

The gamepad IS A REGULAR CONTROLLER + extra funcionalities. there's no "extra resources on the gamepad that could be on the console" and wii u is already not far behind the others.

What are you talking about?  That expensive controller cost them $100+ to make, that is a huge portion of their budget for the console, if they went with a regular controller they could have upgraded the CPU or GPU to match or be stronger than the X1/PS4.

just a hint. even if they sold the controller at a profit, the retail price would still be bellow $100. that means it costs about $70 tops to manufacture, only $50 more than a regular controller. and as I said, wii u can run any 8th gen game with it's curent specs, raising them would only mean waste of money, like sony and MS did.

it might have been nice, but i respect that they choose to be different

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

"The consensus was (in Nintendo) that power isn't everything for a console. Too many powerful consoles can't coexist. It's like having only ferocious dinosaurs. They might fight and hasten their own extinction."

-Shigeru Miyamoto

Soundwave said:
Cubedramirez said:
Nintendo defines being different. If it wasn't considered absurd and bizarre it wouldn't feel like a Nintendo product. I am happy the way things are.

I don't really see anything absurd or bizarre about the NES, SNES, N64, or GameCube with the exception of the N64 unfortunately using cartridges only and that alienated Nintendo from the third party community entirely.

The idea of using a controller gimmick or innvoation (depending on which side of the fence you're on) is a relatively recent development, but it's also an unpredictable way to run your business I think. One generation you might have something that people go crazy for (Wiimote) but the next you may have something that people aren't all that interested in, and then you're kinda screwed because you've bet the farm on a controller.

The SNES had a "normal" controller, but I wouldn't say it wasn't distinct from say the Genesis. It's very different.

It all started with the N64, this being different kick. It didn't fit into what we expected or thought of when we considered new consoles. This continued with the GameCube with their heavy focus on making the controller as accessible as possible rather than having a generic button layout which was common for PC and the PlayStation gamepads. Follow that up with the DS and the Wii and of course the Wii U and 3DS, it's about not just buying a new box with more horsepower. It's about buying a new experience, something that means more to the end user than the typical polygon count nonsense which has lead manufactures astray in my opinion.