By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Ubisoft lying about ZombiU?

CarcharodonKraz said:
if i remember correctly, the average cut for a publisher for a 50$ game is bout 20$. 20$x500,000= 10million. The question is "what is a small budget?". When considering, if i remember correctly, gtaIV coxt 50mill to make; 20 million is a pretty small budget. These are just approximate numbers, but, if they are even close to correct, that's about a 50% loss.

GTA4 cost $100 million to develop and produce.

But to be fair, they had to pay for a lot of music royalties.

Around the Network

As much as I love this vgchartz, I think a lot of people are overestimating the accuracy of the game sales provided.

However, I don't think ZombiU needed much sales to be profitable.

Resident_Hazard said:
oniyide said:
Viper1 said:
Lusche said:
Resident_Hazard said:

You must not actually leave the house much--I have yet to see Zombi U for anything but full price, and it's never in a bargain bin.  You're saying things you want to be true which are based on nothing.

idk where you live, but here in eu/germany the game is permanently reduced to 30€, it says that even in the nintendo eshop ...

if you search online and dont go into a store you can get it even for 25€ or less ...

It's still full price for the US.

no it isnt, Amazon has it for 32.40

It's full price at retail.  Amazon does whatever they want.

so Amazon is not a retailer now? why is it so hard for some people to just admit they were wrong? Man said it was full priced in the US, he was wrong. several outlets have it discounted. He didnt say some

superchunk said:
I don't think they are lying.

That video had these points:

1) The 5 ports cost around $1.2m to make each. Which Ubi said was VERY low for a port and which ZombiU was not included in.
2) ZombiU was a different game at first, however, he incorrectly stated it was intended for PS360. It was ALWAYS a Wii U exclusive game even as Killer Freaks from Outer Space.

So this has always been a Wii U game built ground up on Wii U hardware. Hardware that was likely routinely changing and from all rumors known, it changed quite a bit as Nintendo went from all newer parts to focus on items that were essentially along the same architecture family as Wii so it could continue backwards compatibility.

If a true port like AC3 cost Ubi about $1.2m, then a ground up new game that definitely had a lot of R&D work along with actual game finalization due to it taking big changes in game direction... it had to have cost quite a bit more to make.

I'd wager heavily that ZombiU had a cost of $10m, give or take a small %. This would still be considered "lower" than the average HD game for PS360 which wikipedia has sources showing the average is $18m to $20m. So I don't think saying an exclusive game like ZombiU cost Ubi $10m+ to create is too far fetched.

Now, this is a game that Nintendo had a hand in an potentially paid a portion of it. However, we have no sources saying anything about Nintendo's investment in this game beyond the obvious of marketing and bundling with hardware where they likely paid Ubi for these copies of the game.

For the sake of argument let's take THIS IMAGE as fact since it seems pretty legit. That means Ubi would make $18 per full priced copy.

We know they sold over 500,000 to retail and some unknown amount digitally. But since some of those 500,000 are definitely not at the full price we'll make an assumption and say that only 500,000 total sold and they gave Ubi $18 each back.

$18 * 500,000 = $9,000,000 So that's $9m of GROSS REVENUE to Ubi.

But, that doesn't include packaging, shipping, non-developer salary costs, etc.

So yes, its VERY likely that Ubi, a company that doesn't have the history of attacking Nintendo like EA and others do, is telling 100% truth that ZombiU has NOT come close to breaking even yet, let along being profitable.

Now, this doesn't mean the game was a failure in its own right either. It does have a 14% attachment rate which is VERY high. Had WiiU sold 2m more consoles and thus reached their original goal, ZombiU should be around 800,000 units sold thus, making it profitable in the first 6mos on the market. As it is now, it will take two years or so to reach profitability on a console that will grow but will also have far more competition.

Granted, that's assuming word of mouth for the game as well as budget pricing and decent placement in eShop allows it to continue to sell a few hundred thousand more copies. Something not really heard of from any publishers that is not named Nintendo. Thus, its not likely to get a sequel.

That sounds reasonable. I'm not sure they got the full price on the bundles though. I think Nintendo and Ubisoft made a deal that the price is reduced, but the bundling would help Ubisoft to get a better position on the console. So probably the return is even a bit lower than you gave it.

I can't believe Ubisoft calculated with multiple millions to break even, but I think they were content to make some loss, as the first true exclusive for a platform offers different advantages: they now have a working engine, learned how to use the special features of the gamepad and have sales data for a new exclusive with supporting advertising from Nintendo. So I think they were in before accepting that the game might produce some loss.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

oniyide said:

so Amazon is not a retailer now? why is it so hard for some people to just admit they were wrong? Man said it was full priced in the US, he was wrong. several outlets have it discounted. He didnt say some

Most Nintendo console games ae bought at physical retail.  That's why I left out online retailers.

For the majority of people buying the game, it's still full price here.

Sure, savvy shoppers can find better deals but most are pretty set on buying them at one of the big box retailers still.  So until those have a consistant price drop, it's still largely full price.   Perhaps I should have explained that from the beginning.   I guess I'm used to most people here in the US already knowing that.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

Sub 500k sales aren't much anymore, even for a game like Zombie U. In the PS2 era that was profitable, but not any longer. The conspiracy theories are  starting to get crazy.Sure, from 2005-2009 it probably would've passed, but with whats going into these games today sub 500k is crazy low. Thats second rate JRPG sales which is why these JRPG companies are falling one by one. Lost Odyssey cut it close selling 800k on the 360. I really hope someone good buys Altus by the way and invests more into their games so they can up the quality. In the end Ubisoft out of all the third party devs actually cared to take risk on Nintendo. If you're going to go all conspiracy theory on even them, the argument is starting to get a little crazy, because they believed in Nintendo from the start. 

STAGE, it's only gained a conspiracy because of things that Ubisoft have said in the past and the figures we have available to us and the historical cut publishers receive from game sales. If the contradictory data were not present, there would not be an ongoing debate.

While I think the title if a it of hyperbole, the actual content of the Ubisoft statement does raise an eyebrow when put into the context of what we know (provided all data is accurate, of course).

The only way I can believe that the game was not profitable is if you take into consideration the length of development time the game underwent which would make the game far more expensive than its production values suggest. That being the case, the game probably never would have been successful in the long run anyway. It's understood by publishers that launch titles almost never make a profit. They are used to build the fan base that will allow future titles to become profitable. Very few launch titles make a ROI.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
oniyide said:

Most Nintendo console games ae bought at physical retail.  That's why I left out online retailers.

For the majority of people buying the game, it's still full price here.

Sure, savvy shoppers can find better deals but most are pretty set on buying them at one of the big box retailers still.  So until those have a consistant price drop, it's still largely full price.   Perhaps I should have explained that from the beginning.   I guess I'm used to most people here in the US already knowing that.

that doesnt make any sense, since Amazon sells physical copies, unless you dont think people buy phyiscal games of Amazon. How do you know most are bought at actual stores? Got a source? I would argue against that since you CAN get it cheaper on Amazon. Why would you go to the store? You wouldnt unless you like wasting money. 

Yeah you should have, it would have been easier to say MOST places in the US have it at full price, which is more believable than just saying US, this isnt just a site for US people

oniyide said:
Resident_Hazard said:
oniyide said:
Viper1 said:
Lusche said:
Resident_Hazard said:

You must not actually leave the house much--I have yet to see Zombi U for anything but full price, and it's never in a bargain bin.  You're saying things you want to be true which are based on nothing.

idk where you live, but here in eu/germany the game is permanently reduced to 30€, it says that even in the nintendo eshop ...

if you search online and dont go into a store you can get it even for 25€ or less ...

That's because I'm not wong.  If you were paying any attention at all.  Amazon is not the norm. At most any standard brick-and-mortar location, it is STILL FULL PRICE.  Amazon selling at a sale price does not magically mean EVERYONE IS DOING THE SAME.

Pay attention.

Resident_Hazard said:
oniyide said:
Resident_Hazard said:
oniyide said:
Viper1 said:
Lusche said:
Resident_Hazard said:

That's because I'm not wong.  If you were paying any attention at all.  Amazon is not the norm. At most any standard brick-and-mortar location, it is STILL FULL PRICE.  Amazon selling at a sale price does not magically mean EVERYONE IS DOING THE SAME.

Pay attention.

you said you have never seen it for anything but full price you didnt say anything about a brick and mortar store.  I showed you that Amazon does in fact have it for less than full price. But you would now that if you actually were paying attention. THe fact that Amazon does NOT sell it at full price and I quote "I have yet to see Zombi U for anything but full price", but what the hell you said you didnt see it for anything but full price doesnt mean you can ONLY get it for full price