By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - There Was A 'Severe Culture Clash' Between Microsoft And Rare

the rumor was that Stamper brothers wanted to sell the entire company to Nintendo at once but they declined the offer instead they (Nintendo) bought minor shares irregularly so they contacted Activision and Microsoft, i remember the ominous Christmas card around year 2001, with Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube.

Sad because Rare was great developer

Around the Network
pokoko said:
KungKras said:
pokoko said:
You know, I'm still not quite sure why people always blame the parent company for buying and "ruining" a game development studio but never criticize the people responsible for selling, who usually then leave and form another studio. In most cases, it's not like that had to sell. They just saw dollar signs and lots of them. They picked money over controlling the future of their company. Do I blame them? No, not really, but I certainly think they bear as much responsibility for a studio's decline as anyone else. When you sell to an EA or an Activision, you know what might happen eventually.

Anyway, development studios rise and fall naturally as staff comes and goes. Many of the studios that have been around for a long time are no longer the same as they once were. It's not something I really stress about. The only real shame is when well-loved IP get mishandled or forgotten.

There is thins thing called hostile takeover.

Which does not apply to the vast majority of privately owned development studios.

It's how they took out Westwood and Bullfrog.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Yeah... Rare is done. As soon as they release a couple of commercial failures they will be closed. Too bad, the things they did in the 90's where amazing

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

The amount of hate from the OP is palpable.

F0X said:
demonfox13 said:
Rare ruined comfirmed lol. Oh well, I hope KI is not as horrible as what's being said.

Don't worry. Double Helix is developing Killer Instinct, not Rare.

Bloody Hell! No wonder!

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
pokoko said:
You know, I'm still not quite sure why people always blame the parent company for buying and "ruining" a game development studio but never criticize the people responsible for selling, who usually then leave and form another studio. In most cases, it's not like that had to sell. They just saw dollar signs and lots of them. They picked money over controlling the future of their company. Do I blame them? No, not really, but I certainly think they bear as much responsibility for a studio's decline as anyone else. When you sell to an EA or an Activision, you know what might happen eventually.

Anyway, development studios rise and fall naturally as staff comes and goes. Many of the studios that have been around for a long time are no longer the same as they once were. It's not something I really stress about. The only real shame is when well-loved IP get mishandled or forgotten.

I love how everything is an oportunity for you to try and diminish nintendo, i guess haters gonna hate forever. M$ is the one who f#cked up rare in every sense of the word, period.

He's actually not talking about Nintendo but the Stamper Brothers.   Nintendo didn't sell Rare directly to MS like many people think.  Nintendo sold their 49% stake in Rare back to the Rare.  Then Rare sold 100% of the shares to MS.   Pokoko is putting the blame on the Stamper Brothers for selling the company and then bailing on them.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Poor OP, you try too hard in your hatred of Microsoft.

slowmo said:
Poor OP, you try too hard in your hatred of Microsoft.

He got banned for it.  That and a later comment.  Not sure why the OP hasn't been edited though.  All the article says is that once the stamper bros left the company changed and now they are kind of rebirthing themselves and they are excited to see it.  The culture clash came with a huge company buying them and staff changes (which is normal for a company that loses leadership) once Stamper left. from what is said.  Nothing about MSFT being evil etc.

The only games made from rare since has been Viva Pinata, Banjo, and Kinect Sports.  Viva Pinata and Kinect Sports has been a big success so the death of rare has been more of a myth than anything.  They was doing worst with Stamper and this is going back to the gamecube as well although both Conker Live & Reloaded as well as Kameo was great.

hunter_alien said:
Yeah... Rare is done. As soon as they release a couple of commercial failures they will be closed. Too bad, the things they did in the 90's where amazing

They had numerous games that could be considered failures before Kinect Sports.

If they closed Rare it would only be because they have an even better studios that makes casual games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I want to ask something, why did Nintendo sell them in the first place? Were they not doing as well as they used to, did some key people leave, or did Nintendo just not want them. Really why did that happen?