By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 version DMC takes 22 minutes to install!!!

@munkeh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B1mQ21XXLE

watch it on mute unless you like dance/trance/house crap.

Around the Network
Willem said:
"I don't mind loading times. Gameplay is what I am worried about. "

Oh wait, then you should be happy with the install, cause it reduces loadtimes dramatically at the cutscenes :)

Aynway, I totally agree with LordAkhenUlv. Just install and enjoy the game

Not really. I am used to gaming on my 360. After downloading a demo, I hit play and it plays. Why in the devil should I wait to download the demo and wait to install it? I don't care about faster load times. Once again, this proves one thing - giving gamers a choice matters. Let folks complain about load times - but let folks have a choice, and don't just force it on them.

You have to have a lot of patience to be a PS3 owner I see. I am getting sick of it already. Give it a chance? I am ... but it's really, really starting to get on my nerves ...

Munkeh111 said:

How does Uncharted to do that, does it use the same streaming tecniques as Oblivion (i.e multiple placing of data), or when it is so linear, there is only one direction to go, so the game basically knows what to read next?

Also, how easy is it to transfer stuff between hard drives, because I have the 60GB (the only one avaliable at the time) and I am thinking about upgrading in the future, although I doubt it will be necessary

What Uncharted does is nothing new. Microsoft did it with Dungeon Siege. It’s just underused. I think this kind of technology should be employed in more games. As time goes on, it will be seen more often.

As for HD upgrade, it’s easy. Backup your drive to an external (if you have one), swap the drive (5 minutes), and restore. Done J

madskillz said:
Willem said:
"I don't mind loading times. Gameplay is what I am worried about. "

Oh wait, then you should be happy with the install, cause it reduces loadtimes dramatically at the cutscenes :)

Aynway, I totally agree with LordAkhenUlv. Just install and enjoy the game

Not really. I am used to gaming on my 360. After downloading a demo, I hit play and it plays. Why in the devil should I wait to download the demo and wait to install it? I don't care about faster load times. Once again, this proves one thing - giving gamers a choice matters. Let folks complain about load times - but let folks have a choice, and don't just forget it on them.

You have to have a lot of patience to be a PS3 owner I see. I am getting sick of it already. Give it a chance? I am ... but it's really, really starting to get on my nerves ... 

Having never owned a 360, I assumed this was standard practice, and generally, I just watch TV for 5 mins while it installs, it does not matter to me, what was worse was when there was no background downloading, but I got mine after that came in

Yes, there are instructions right in the PS3 manual. Also, there are videos online with instructions on how to do it if you need a demonstration.

Around the Network
madskillz said:

Not really. I am used to gaming on my 360. After downloading a demo, I hit play and it plays. Why in the devil should I wait to download the demo and wait to install it?

I am sure the last step of the download is the install, MS is just doing it for you. Why Sony does not do that, I have no clue.

How long are the load times usually?

because an area usually loads in 2secs and the PS3 loads in 1sec that is a big difference. But if it usually takes 20secs and the PS3 loads in 19secs it is not so great.

TheRealMafoo said:
madskillz said:

Not really. I am used to gaming on my 360. After downloading a demo, I hit play and it plays. Why in the devil should I wait to download the demo and wait to install it?

I am sure the last step of the download is the install, MS is just doing it for you. Why Sony does not do that, I have no clue.

It does, but not if you select background downloading (maybe there are some things to take into consideration where auto install while doing other things now or in the future could interfere). I agree this area could be improved upon, but doesn't bother me that much.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Wow, I bet that if Nintendo decided to use some type of install similar to this for Brawl, people would be singing a different tone. Why are people that don't even a PS3 and don't plan on buying one (NJ5) talking shit? Seriously, who cares about this? It's not like it's going to ruin the game or change the gameplay.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Munkeh111 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
TheRealMafoo said:
kber81 said:

Transitions to gameplay from starting menus are relatively close, frequently within half a second or so of each other, but when you're loading up a cutscene or having another pause in the action, the 360's times are easily three times that of the PS3. - IGN

Funny, this has been mentioned twice now, and everyone seems to ignore it. They would rather bitch about the PS3 not being any better than the 360, than realizing that the OP's link is probably inaccurate.

Because then we'd have to turn down our gloom and doom meters.... and I'm sure none of us want to do that.

@Munkeh111- I've heard it only takes a minute or two to change out the PS3's hard drive.

I was more thinking of the file transfers

Oh, file transfer isn't too bad. Obviously transfers in bulk will usually take a while depending on what you're doing, but transfering videos, music, photos, or save data doesn't take too long.