By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 version DMC takes 22 minutes to install!!!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=181383

PS3 Devil will make you CRY with 20 min install time

Devil May Cry 4 is coming to 360 and PS3 this Friday. That's good news mainly for the reason that it's an awesome game. You can look forward to the review later this week, or read this if you can't wait any longer. But there's a little issue of a MASSIVE installation process that forces all PS3 gamers to wait just under 22 mins before they can tuck in to Dante's finest.

You'd think there'd be a benefit after being forced to install nearly 5GB of game data, like shorter or even no loading times during the entire game. Funny thing is though, it doesn't make much difference to load times compared to the 360 version, that you can play straight away.

We clocked the entire install process at 21 minutes, 41 seconds.

Following that the opening load time on PS3 was five seconds against eight on 360. And then three seconds versus four, and four versus five seconds in following load screens, PS3 - 360. As you can see there's not much in it.

So over the course of an eight-to-ten hour game you might get your 21 minutes back over 360 players with ever-so-slightly shorter loading times. But really?

Time to put the stopwatch away and get back to playing the game. Check out in-game footage here.

While we're 'on topic', it's also being reported that (in Japan) the PS3 version of Devil May Cry 4 is outselling the 360 game 5-1. But that's because there are only six people with 360s in the country. It'll be much closer over here, if not the other way around.

Around the Network

Oh come on. I waited almost a year for this game. I'm not going to complain about a 20 min install time. As for load times not being improved.... i find that hard to beleive, very hard.

But I'll have to wait till tomorrow to find out.

PSN ID: TheSimkin

GamerTag: TheSimkin

WII friend Code: 0002 7972 4522 2681

The PS3 runs better because of the 20-minute install. I was shocked when I downloaded Ratchet and Clank, Motorstorm, F1 and Uncharted demos - I clicked on the game and had to wait to install it. What in tha heezy? It got old very quickly.

Is this typical for most PS3 games? Installing sucks, IMHO ...

That is just crap. I could understand a few minutes to install, but, why the hell does it need 20+??? Isn't it on bluray, wtf do they need to uncompress??

Seriously, I would be really annoyed.

DAMN people, plz READ before posting

for 20 min, u get +1 sec for each loading time.
to say it differently, the loading time I reduced by 25% ...

at the end, the 20 min install is not so bad.

VGC : 1up/EGM : gamespot = PS3 bashing for free

Time to Work !

Around the Network

@madskillz LOL My cousin hates the install after download. We actually downloaded the uncharted demo twice and both times it error during the installation. My cousin was so pissed he gave up lol. I still want to play it but will have to wait until I can get my own ps3. It may run better by a few seconds which may or may not equal the 20 minutes install time. I am sure most people won't mind but it is annoying.

I thought the point of the installation was to allow seamless gameplay, without loading times?

Oh well. You can just let it load while you're doing somthing else. Still seems pretty strange.

I thought the entire reason for the install was to eliminate load times altogether?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

LOL I love the misconception here about an install >_> I think all you naysayers seem to forget that I can hit the install button and oh I dunno, take a shower? Go to the bathroom? Get some food, go shopping etc etc etc... then when I get back (at no inconvenience), play the game, and experience shorter load times regardless of how long they are to begin with. Plus if you don't install, are the load times longer than the 360 version?

I think it's a great feature and one that many people should use, after all, when I go through a door every 15 seconds, an additional 1 second to my load time can be very annoying >_> And no it's got nothing to do with the PS3'z "slow reading speed', if the data fit on a DVD 9, coulden't they just go the same route oblivion took and double up? 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

If given the choice of shortening all load times by spending 20 minutes installing, I would probably do it with just about every game I have, assuming space wasn't an issue. Of course I'm mostly a PC gamer, so I'm used to this stuff.

Not exactly the "no load times at all!!!" that the fans were raving about, but hype shall always be hype.