By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 version DMC takes 22 minutes to install!!!

""IGN's review says: "No, the edge comes in the fact that the PS3 installs a large amount of game files to the hard drive, dramatically reducing load times between stages and cinematics. I've timed the game on both systems numerous times, and each time has been consistently in the PS3's favor. Transitions to gameplay from starting menus are relatively close, frequently within half a second or so of each other, but when you're loading up a cutscene or having another pause in the action, the 360's times are easily three times that of the PS3."""

==> +1 for IGN
so is it a 1 sec decrease in loading ?
a 25% decrease ?
or a 75 % decrease ?

And I m not saying a 20 mins install is good but it doesn't justify the title :

"PS3 Devil will make you CRY with 20 min install time "

to twestern,

usually, u play at least 10 hours/game so it is ok

to mrstickball,

I agree the Xbox360 version is pretty good since it doesn't suffer from the "no-install" and even more, the Xbox360 is a bit better in term of gfx.

Time to Work !

Around the Network

I thought the 12xDVD drive of the XBox360 had a faster read speed than the 2xBlu-Ray in the PS3. How long would the load times in DMC be on the PS3 if there were no install? 6 seconds, 7 seconds? We have no idea. For all we know, the load times went from 8 seconds to 4 seconds after the install.

Uncharted - NO INSTALLS, NO DOWNLOADS.
DMC4 - INSTALL, LESS DOWNLOADING TIME.

Uncharted - EXCLUSIVE.
DMC4 - WENT MULTIPLATFORM.

Conclusion: x360/PC are HOLDING NEXTGEN on PS3.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

@libellule: I think the common menu to playing loading time is around 2-3 seconds so the half or so second of difference is minimal. If I remember correctly from one of their podcasts the loading time for the cutscenes and such (where they say the difference is one is three times the loading times of the other) is on average 15-20 seconds on the 360, and then a third of that on the PS3. So really if you want to figure out if it's worth it you would have to figure out how many cinematics there are or other transitions with the large increase and then how many times you would use the menu in the game I suppose. Personally I'm not really going to worry about it since I (like some who have already commented) play computer games, and am used to much longer load times than this, sometimes with multiple discs, so it's no biggy.

WiiStation360 said:
I thought the 12xDVD drive of the XBox360 had a faster read speed than the 2xBlu-Ray in the PS3. How long would the load times in DMC be on the PS3 if there were no install? 6 seconds, 7 seconds? We have no idea. For all we know, the load times went from 8 seconds to 4 seconds after the install.

Well as you may or may not know, the Blue laser used to read from a PS3 disk is reading a much denser amount of information, if the 360's disk reading is in fact faster, it's by a fractional amount. Then if you want to talk about how fast the drive is spinning I.E. the absurd amount of noise it can produce. Then I'm sure you'd have your own opinions one which could be potentially better lol.

PS3 load times are generally un-noticable in comparison to the 360 counterparts. And even then, with blu-rays vast amounts of space they could simply double the information in certain parts of the game, Oblivion did so and had far better load times than the 360 alternative. 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

If you ask me, I think ANY kind of installing should stop right here and now for consoles. The whole beauty of consoles in the first place (or it was before the 360 and PS3 came along, especially the PS3) is their convenience of whacking a game in and playing it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I've said it plenty of times before but those two consoles are making console gaming more like PC gaming and that IS a bad thing. Developers are becoming lazier and making games buggier on a scale far more than previous generations, patches are becoming bigger to download, and if installs are to become mandatory and take up such a huge ammount of hard drive space that's quite frankly ridiculous (it is huge when your max is like 60GB).

Installs should NOT be a part of console gaming, at most they should be entirely optional.

Oh and 22 minutes is ridiculous too, not even the PC version of Gears of War takes that long to install (I mention that because it's the longest I've ever had to wait on a PC game to install) 

>Conclusion: x360/PC are HOLDING NEXTGEN on PS3.

Remember this is Capcom we are talking about. *sighs*

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

So installation ended up being mandatory? If many games start doing this and you're the type of person who ocasionally feels like popping up an old game, you'll have to uninstall/install games quite often, especially if you have a 20/40 GB PS3.

It's just one more step towards consoles being the same as PCs. We already have patches, hard drives, installations, customizable hardware, updates.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
So installation ended up being mandatory? If many games start doing this and you're the type of person who ocasionally feels like popping up an old game, you'll have to uninstall/install games quite often, especially if you have a 20/40 GB PS3.

It's just one more step towards consoles being the same as PCs. We already have patches, hard drives, installations, customizable hardware, updates.

Yeah not a fan of manditory installs, but if this is one step closer to having the general load times that PC's do, count me in. I love the fact that at least a not-so good game can still get fixed >_>; I don't think they should release a crappy product to begin with, but we all know it's going to happen anyway. 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

ChronotriggerJM said:

Yeah not a fan of manditory installs, but if this is one step closer to having the general load times that PC's do, count me in. I love the fact that at least a not-so good game can still get fixed >_>; I don't think they should release a crappy product to begin with, but we all know it's going to happen anyway.

Do you actually play PC games? That's a genuine question I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Overall though PC games aren't a case of 'choose a level, start playing'. Alot of PC games have load times on par with a 360 and in some cases ridiculously stupid loading times too.