By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 version DMC takes 22 minutes to install!!!

NJ5 said:
MikeB said:
In reply to some claims within this thread, on average the PS3 drive loads faster than the 360 drive can read dual layer discs.

360 drive specs

What about seek time?

Some devs stated real world seektimes they experienced are better in comparison. But worst case scenario seektimes are worse (meaning the lens has to move the full range between two locations being read, using the entire disc for storage).

There's a much higher density of data on Blu-Ray disc, if you store the max content available on a DVD on a Blu-Ray disc you're using only a small part of the disc, so the lens will have to move less as well to find the correct data.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:
NJ5 said:
MikeB said:
In reply to some claims within this thread, on average the PS3 drive loads faster than the 360 drive can read dual layer discs.

360 drive specs

What about seek time?

Some devs stated real world seektimes they experienced are better in comparison. But worst case scenario seektimes are worse (meaning the lens has to move the full range between two locations being read, using the entire disc for storage).

There's a much higher density of data on Blu-Ray disc, if you store the max content available on a DVD on a Blu-Ray disc you're using only a small part of the disc, so the lens will have to move less as well to find the correct data.

@ MikeB - So would you say that the 5gb of data is used to reduce the load times by 1 sec? or is it to help compensate for the seek time of the drive? or a mix of both?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

All of this and the game is supposed to be ten dollars more (is it still that way?).

Is Capcom trying to screw Sony fan?

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

gebx said:

@ MikeB - So would you say that the 5gb of data is used to reduce the load times by 1 sec? or is it to help compensate for the seek time of the drive? or a mix of both?

I don’t think anyone here other then the most diehard fan boy would think the 360’s DVD drive is anywhere near as fast as the PS3’s HD.

So I think the question should be asked the other way. What did the 360 version sacrifice in order to get only 1 second behind the PS3 in load times?

Audio? Texture?

^^'' Install a PC game and you will find out that it is normal.

Around the Network

You don't have to install it. Right?

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

gebx said:
MikeB said:
NJ5 said:
MikeB said:

360 drive specs

What about seek time?

@ MikeB - So would you say that the 5gb of data is used to reduce the load times by 1 sec? or is it to help compensate for the seek time of the drive? or a mix of both?

It may be the 360 version has to feed less data, like someone else pointed out in this thread. Iin Oblvion this is apparent (higher rendering resolution, longer draw distances while reducing in-game loading times as well, which are shorter as well as less frequent on the PS3).

Assuming both versions are as good as identical, I think the devs probably decided that some later parts of the game (which often tend to be more demanding) take too long to load. Thus mainly for reducing load times.

Like pointed out in my earlier posting, seektimes differences between DVD and Blu-Ray are very unlikely to play a factor.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

This is what Sony meant when they said "The Playstation 3 is a computer. We don't need the PC."

GhaleonUnlimited said:
This is what Sony meant when they said "The Playstation 3 is a computer. We don't need the PC."

Epic win!

So i went through the two pages of this thread, and honestly all i could come up with is...

who cares

really, why is it such a scandal, an insult to have to wait 20 mins to install a game. Please tell me this has been written by a 360 fanboy, because i finally think its being pushed too far. I dont care if i have to wait 20 minutes to install a game, you know what, as someone said above, ill just maybe go eat something, or just read whatever is lying around...heck i might even go smoke a cigarette (and please dont come saying "HA! THERE, YOU SEE WHAT THE 20 MINUTES DOES TO YOU!!11"

Honestly, i think we are dwelling to deep into specs and drive speed and what not, when quite frankly i dont see what the big deal is. Fine, on 360 you can play straight away! Ok then, buy it on 360 and leave others do what they want.