By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 version DMC takes 22 minutes to install!!!

superchunk said:
TheRealMafoo said:
kber81 said:

Transitions to gameplay from starting menus are relatively close, frequently within half a second or so of each other, but when you're loading up a cutscene or having another pause in the action, the 360's times are easily three times that of the PS3. - IGN

Funny, this has been mentioned twice now, and everyone seems to ignore it. They would rather bitch about the PS3 not being any better than the 360, than realizing that the OP's link is probably inaccurate.

No, I think the problem is that most people don't care about waiting an extra second or two on a cutscene but are disgusted by being forced to wait 20+minutes to actually start the game. Bad choice in my opinion.

Now as someone else mentioned, Capcom probably did this because the original PS3 cutscenes were far worse in time than the 360's and therefore you are not saving yourself a couple of seconds, as in vs the 360, but like 10-30 seconds, as in vs the original PS3 implementation.

I don’t think you understood what I said.

I am saying that the article is probably wrong. That it is most likely a much better savings then one second. As for your second point, I think it’s MS’s policy to not allow a game to be released for the 360 unless it can be played on all 360’s. Being that not all 360’s have a HD, you can’t require a game to utilize one. CapCom decided to not make it an option (it’s not an option on the PS3 either; you are forced to do it).

That’s why it’s not DLed to the HD on the 360. It has nothing to do with disk access performance.

Around the Network

1) Console were made for EASY use.
Get a disc, insert into console and PLAY.
NO PATCHES, NO INSTALLATIONS.

That were one of many advantages of consoles over PC.

2) Uncharted DON`T HAVE INSTALLATIONS and DOWNLOADING times.

3) Because DMC4 went MULTIPLATFORM, NOW PS3 owners have to INSTALL 5GB.

It`s NOT a BIG issue, BUT this SHOULDN`T be on CONSOLES, so and PATCHES.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

twesterm said:
libellule said:
DAMN people, plz READ before posting

for 20 min, u get +1 sec for each loading time.
to say it differently, the loading time I reduced by 25% ...

at the end, the 20 min install is not so bad.

VGC : 1up/EGM : gamespot = PS3 bashing for free

That sounds good in that you will end up saving time, the thing is though you will never notice that decrease in load times when it's a matter of one or two seconds while that 20 minute install will feel like an hour.

PRECISELY

If it was more than half the loadtime decreased, it would be noticeable. When it's something relatively small like one second at a time - out of five or six second loadtimes - it's not going to stand out.

But when you get a game, you want to play it THEN. You don't plan on getting a game, popping it in, then waiting for it to install. You plan on getting a game, popping it in, and running it. It's really, really fanboyish and foolish to insist that someone should look beyond that and "go take a shower" or "go to the bathroom".

And I can confidently say I'd feel the same about ANY console game, regardless of if it was SSBB, SMG, Halo3, or DMC4. It doesn't matter. If you're playing it on the console, it'd better be ready to play immediately or have some significantly improved gameplay that you get from installing it.

SW-5120-1900-6153

regardless of the moral code of gaming ethics of whether or not it should have an install time,
it still sounds like an advantage to have no load times. It sounds like evolution to me, in a small way.

But I agree that it should be an option to install it, not a requirement.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

CrazzyMan said:
1) Console were made for EASY use.
Get a disc, insert into console and PLAY.
NO PATCHES, NO INSTALLATIONS.

That were one of many advantages of consoles over PC.

2) Uncharted DON`T HAVE INSTALLATIONS and DOWNLOADING times.

3) Because DMC4 went MULTIPLATFORM, NOW PS3 owners have to INSTALL 5GB.

It`s NOT a BIG issue, BUT this SHOULDN`T be on CONSOLES, so and PATCHES.

I agree, but there are advantages as well. The PS3 now has the ability to receive much more faithful ports of PC orientated games as well. Technically it's an advantage to have the ability to install games partly onto the harddrive.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

I just like how a topic so lame is being so blown out of proportion, oh damn, I've waited 6 MONTHS, to get this game into my household since hearing about it, oh shit, I have to wait another 20 minutes, Conclusion: PS3 can suck my balls.

Didn't unreal tournament offer something similar, just on a smaller scale. UT3 loaded just fine without the install, and faster with it >_>; I doubt this is an issue with the PS3's capabilities, I think Capcom is just dumb.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

ChronotriggerJM said:
I just like how a topic so lame is being so blown out of proportion, oh damn, I've waited 6 MONTHS, to get this game into my household since hearing about it, oh shit, I have to wait another 20 minutes, Conclusion: PS3 can suck my balls.

Didn't unreal tournament offer something similar, just on a smaller scale. UT3 loaded just fine without the install, and faster with it >_>; I doubt this is an issue with the PS3's capabilities, I think Capcom is just dumb.

The Unreal Tournament III install was optional, but it took a similar amount of time to install.

Also, watch out people who have played PC games, apparently we're fanboyish and foolish because time for installing might not bother us as much as a console person. 

IllegalPaladin said:
ChronotriggerJM said:

The Unreal Tournament III install was optional, but it took a similar amount of time to install.

Also, watch out people who have played PC games, apparently we're fanboyish and foolish because time for installing might not bother us as much as a console person.

Yah, I consider the non-optional folly to be Capcoms mistake. I would understand people being upset if they installed it and saw similar or worse performance than the 360's version, then I could chalk it up to development learning curve, but thats not the case here, apparently the install boosts loading to be a third of the 360's >_>; which to me is pretty damn awesome.

And yeah anyone saying that "gamers don't want to shower or do something when they get home blah blah blah" can seriously grow up lol. Does it suck? Sure, they made it mandatory, which is dumb. Can you get over it? Man if you can't, seriously don't get the game >_>; or better yet buy it on the 360 to show how much you care. I find it so funny that people are just DYING to find problems with the PS3. I mean seriously, the whole install once you download a demo. It's what, 10 minutes out of your life to play something your already unsure of >_>; get real please x.x; a minor inconvenience at it's worse.

Obviously the better devs know how to incorperate a feature, Epic did an awesome job by making it optional. If Capcom relied on it because they didn't know the hardware, at least they took some measure to make the game not only playable, but better for us PS3 owners. Hell I'd take a lengthy install for the Orange Box to not have to deal with any of it's BS problems.  

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Oh my god.... the loading times on The Orange Box were terrible. Especially when I was given the PC version for Christmas a week later and quick loading and general loading times were like ten seconds or less (not exactly counting the time to launch the game itself). It was terrible to do a quicksave and fall to my death ten seconds later only to have to wait literally like 20-30 seconds to start playing again and it really started working on my nerves when I rented the PS3 version.

MikeB said:
gebx said:
MikeB said:
NJ5 said:
MikeB said:
In reply to some claims within this thread, on average the PS3 drive loads faster than the 360 drive can read dual layer discs.

360 drive specs

What about seek time?

Some devs stated real world seektimes they experienced are better in comparison. But worst case scenario seektimes are worse (meaning the lens has to move the full range between two locations being read, using the entire disc for storage).

There's a much higher density of data on Blu-Ray disc, if you store the max content available on a DVD on a Blu-Ray disc you're using only a small part of the disc, so the lens will have to move less as well to find the correct data.

@ MikeB - So would you say that the 5gb of data is used to reduce the load times by 1 sec? or is it to help compensate for the seek time of the drive? or a mix of both?

It may be the 360 version has to feed less data, like someone else pointed out in this thread. Iin Oblvion this is apparent (higher rendering resolution, longer draw distances while reducing in-game loading times as well, which are shorter as well as less frequent on the PS3).

Assuming both versions are as good as identical, I think the devs probably decided that some later parts of the game (which often tend to be more demanding) take too long to load. Thus mainly for reducing load times.

Like pointed out in my earlier posting, seektimes differences between DVD and Blu-Ray are very unlikely to play a factor.

Capcom confirmed this was to reduce load times:

"What Capcom did state though is that once it is installed on the PS3, Devil May Cry 4 has load times similar to that of old Super Nintendo Games, meaning no load times at all.

Capcom stated that gamers will be impressed of how fast the game loads."

Source: dBTechno

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales