By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 version DMC takes 22 minutes to install!!!

antfromtashkent said:
heh i actually installed it via PSP remote play while watching tv :P. but i dint get teh error message

My cousin does this and is by far the best feature we like about the PS3.  He can even control his PS3 while at work.  Again very neat feature.  Should be utilize alot more hopefully in the future.  Maybe play PSN games while on the road with the PSP etc.

Around the Network

What's the biggy? All pc games require install as well. The pc version of DMC4 will have an install.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

IllegalPaladin said:
elnino334 said:
@madskillz LOL My cousin hates the install after download. We actually downloaded the uncharted demo twice and both times it error during the installation. My cousin was so pissed he gave up lol. I still want to play it but will have to wait until I can get my own ps3. It may run better by a few seconds which may or may not equal the 20 minutes install time. I am sure most people won't mind but it is annoying.

What can you do about the install? That's sort of the whole point about it, you have to install the demo. Maybe it's because I have my PC that I've been doing that for years so the installing and uninstalling doesn't phase me at all, but oh well.

Usually if there is an error problem when installing a demo for, sometimes multiple attempts at installing might work. I usually try to hold off on demo's until when I go home for a weekend because a good cable modem at home trumps the crappy DSL at my apartment and that means 30 minutes to an hour to download a demoat home compared to hours at the apartment.

----

Anyway, I don't really see any problem. Maybe it's because I usually do other things while I'm installing a demo or installing game content. Perhaps people should try to get a snack, grab something to drink, study some course work, or even do a #2 while a game is installing. Works for me and I'm sure it'll work for you.

Only problem I see is wasting time.  Is just annoying nothing else though the error really pissed me off since I been trying to play that demo for ages.  Finally got my cousin to dowload it and piece of crap failed.  Yeah I tried again downloading from scratch with the same results.  I would have tried more since I really wanted to play it but my cousin was even more pissed then me and said forget it.  I'll try to get it to download again when I go visit him.   By the way downloads are also faster on the 360 then the PS3 at least based on our experience.  Again only issue I have is wasting time. 

madskillz said:
Willem said:
"I don't mind loading times. Gameplay is what I am worried about. "

Oh wait, then you should be happy with the install, cause it reduces loadtimes dramatically at the cutscenes :)

Aynway, I totally agree with LordAkhenUlv. Just install and enjoy the game

Not really. I am used to gaming on my 360. After downloading a demo, I hit play and it plays. Why in the devil should I wait to download the demo and wait to install it? I don't care about faster load times. Once again, this proves one thing - giving gamers a choice matters. Let folks complain about load times - but let folks have a choice, and don't just force it on them.

You have to have a lot of patience to be a PS3 owner I see. I am getting sick of it already. Give it a chance? I am ... but it's really, really starting to get on my nerves ...

Well if choice is the only thing you're complaining about then isn't 360 in the same boat?  Doesn't sound like they give you a choice to install the game, it's not that one has more choices it's just that one has a first choice and the other has the second.

Wait wait wait. I thought the 20 min. install was to completely GET RID of load times? Wtf Capcom?

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=181383

PS3 Devil will make you CRY with 20 min install time

Devil May Cry 4 is coming to 360 and PS3 this Friday. That's good news mainly for the reason that it's an awesome game. You can look forward to the review later this week, or read this if you can't wait any longer. But there's a little issue of a MASSIVE installation process that forces all PS3 gamers to wait just under 22 mins before they can tuck in to Dante's finest.

You'd think there'd be a benefit after being forced to install nearly 5GB of game data, like shorter or even no loading times during the entire game. Funny thing is though, it doesn't make much difference to load times compared to the 360 version, that you can play straight away.

We clocked the entire install process at 21 minutes, 41 seconds.

Following that the opening load time on PS3 was five seconds against eight on 360. And then three seconds versus four, and four versus five seconds in following load screens, PS3 - 360. As you can see there's not much in it.

So over the course of an eight-to-ten hour game you might get your 21 minutes back over 360 players with ever-so-slightly shorter loading times. But really?

Time to put the stopwatch away and get back to playing the game. Check out in-game footage here.

While we're 'on topic', it's also being reported that (in Japan) the PS3 version of Devil May Cry 4 is outselling the 360 game 5-1. But that's because there are only six people with 360s in the country. It'll be much closer over here, if not the other way around.

what do u mean by install? I thought u just put the disk inside and play???

*sigh* im not sure what to think of this. i don't see how this is worhty of complaining about.

PEOPLE. STOP PICKING ON THE SMALLEST ISSUES.

A 20 minute install for a "console" game is not exactly a small issue. Especially when the loading times aren't dramatically reduced either.

TheRealMafoo said:
kber81 said:

Transitions to gameplay from starting menus are relatively close, frequently within half a second or so of each other, but when you're loading up a cutscene or having another pause in the action, the 360's times are easily three times that of the PS3. - IGN

Funny, this has been mentioned twice now, and everyone seems to ignore it. They would rather bitch about the PS3 not being any better than the 360, than realizing that the OP's link is probably inaccurate.

No, I think the problem is that most people don't care about waiting an extra second or two on a cutscene but are disgusted by being forced to wait 20+minutes to actually start the game. Bad choice in my opinion.

Now as someone else mentioned, Capcom probably did this because the original PS3 cutscenes were far worse in time than the 360's and therefore you are not saving yourself a couple of seconds, as in vs the 360, but like 10-30 seconds, as in vs the original PS3 implementation.

yes it's a small issue, it's a one time installation so that the user can enjoy the experience without being affected by the slow seek times of the ps3's blu-ray drive. if that's what they have to do to keep loading times right then they'll do it. this is the first game to require such a big install, it doesnt mean that it will happen to every game from now on.