By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The last of us not as good as once thought? (Graphics)

SnakeEyez said:

First off I must say that the game is fantastic and easily contender for GOTY. Now with that said, am I the only one that is a little disappointed with the graphics? I mean based off of videos I've seen before, it doesn't look as good as I once thought. I'm in the begining (Please no SPOILERS) but there are some instances that the graphics look pretty bland.

For instance, in the zone when you are about to enter Area 5, the town looks to have little to no textures or just looks plain bad (manhole cover, the police barracde, hell even the military cars). Also, when you're outside of the zone, the foliage looks very sharp and not life like at all. While looking at some leaves on a tree, I spun the camera around and it looked like a piece of thin cardboard. Anybody else feel this way?

The graphics feel more polished later on. But with next gen around the corner: Nobody can deny the current consoles age. For a current console title: It's still in the top (if not #1).

Around the Network
Player1x3 said:
walsufnir said:
eFKac said:
walsufnir said:
I think the bullshots were a bit too much building unrealistic hype. still it looks impressive, though.

Could you provide us with those bullshots, please? Cause I see you talking about them again, and I don't remember any bullshots from Naughty Dog, so I'm curious.

Generally almost all shots released before. No screens showed graphics like this:

I don't say they look bad but in no way as polished as they did before. The former shots never showed aliasing, bad textures or pixelated shadows.

hmm

''before'' shot

the ugly ''after'' shot

Dat downgrade right?

That's because the good pictures are from the ps4 version 0_o

I feel that the graphics aren't as good as Uncharted 3's, but I'm wondering if it's because it has a more realistic art style (or maybe I've been spoiled by trailers with next-gen graphics). It's still at the very top though, incredible looking game.

brendude13 said:
I feel that the graphics aren't as good as Uncharted 3's, but I'm wondering if it's because it has a more realistic art style (or maybe I've been spoiled by trailers with next-gen graphics). It's still at the very top though, incredible looking game.

I recommend you go back, it's actually better. And I'm like the biggest UC3 fan and I didn't want to admit it at first :P.

Not sure if you've beaten it, but both UC3 has parts that are drop dead beautiful, but so does TLOU. The fact that TLOU has far more and far wider areas is ridicilous.

Oh and come here =>

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=163015&page=1#

Player1x3 said:
walsufnir said:
eFKac said:
walsufnir said:
I think the bullshots were a bit too much building unrealistic hype. still it looks impressive, though.

Could you provide us with those bullshots, please? Cause I see you talking about them again, and I don't remember any bullshots from Naughty Dog, so I'm curious.

Generally almost all shots released before. No screens showed graphics like this:

I don't say they look bad but in no way as polished as they did before. The former shots never showed aliasing, bad textures or pixelated shadows.

hmm

''before'' shot

the ugly ''after'' shot

Dat downgrade right?

No, please understand: The game was set to be polished to the tiniest thing which of course isn't. It's not only my opinion. Even some Sony-fans say they thing UC2 looks better. This doesn't make the game itself worse - just saying it has technical difficulties.

Around the Network
Aldro said:
brendude13 said:

I recommend you go back, it's actually better. And I'm like the biggest UC3 fan and I didn't want to admit it at first :P.

Not sure if you've beaten it, but both UC3 has parts that are drop dead beautiful, but so does TLOU. The fact that TLOU has far more and far wider areas is ridicilous.

Oh and come here =>

Dang...I take it back.

That's one thing that has definitely improved, lighting, it's phenomenal.

looks good for a 720 game. what do you expect from an almost decade old system?

brendude13 said:
Aldro said:
brendude13 said:

Oh and come here =>

Dang...I take it back.

That's one thing that has definitely improved, lighting, it's phenomenal.

Welcome onboard xD. And mate, i'd argue that those 2 images are (aside from the dark area in the demo of TLOU) like the weakest areas in the entire game. I'd really want to post some shots of the intro but.. that isnt wise from a spoiler standpoint as well as some areas later on in the game. Once more people play it, ill put it out there. It really is insane.

it should be on ps4 not ps3 .. i hope there is a port.

walsufnir said:
Player1x3 said:
walsufnir said:
eFKac said:
walsufnir said:

hmm

''before'' shot

the ugly ''after'' shot

Dat downgrade right?

No, please understand: The game was set to be polished to the tiniest thing which of course isn't. It's not only my opinion. Even some Sony-fans say they thing UC2 looks better. This doesn't make the game itself worse - just saying it has technical difficulties.

I havent experienced any technical difficulties while playing the game. And I was mostly adressing the ''visual downgrade'' stuff the OP mentioned. I, for an example, have never seen such a low res texture on Ellie's backpack while i was playing the game for 18.5 hours.  I know TLOU has its ups and downs on the technical side, but little to no games are polished to the tiniest thing. People will always cherry pick something.

And Uncharted 2? Cmon now, I've seen very few people say UC3 looks better, but UC2? Thats just grasping at straws by whomever said that.