By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The last of us not as good as once thought? (Graphics)

First off I must say that the game is fantastic and easily contender for GOTY. Now with that said, am I the only one that is a little disappointed with the graphics? I mean based off of videos I've seen before, it doesn't look as good as I once thought. I'm in the begining (Please no SPOILERS) but there are some instances that the graphics look pretty bland.

For instance, in the zone when you are about to enter Area 5, the town looks to have little to no textures or just looks plain bad (manhole cover, the police barracde, hell even the military cars). Also, when you're outside of the zone, the foliage looks very sharp and not life like at all. While looking at some leaves on a tree, I spun the camera around and it looked like a piece of thin cardboard. Anybody else feel this way?

Around the Network

Ya some parts of it I noticed do look a bit bland. Overall though, it looks amazing.

The towns are where the games really shine through. Considering how many houses you can go into is pretty impressive, it's what I've wanted from this gen since it started.

They've put a lot of emphasis on character models, which always look incredibly detailed. However, looking at things like assets and textures, the PS3 definitely shows its age.

It looks fine for a PS3 game, it's a game where I can finally say this gen has lasted too long. Awesome game regardless though.

Around the Network

Yea I guess that I've been watching too much next gen stuff specifically infamous and the division, so going back to a ps3 title definitely shows how old the ps3 is.

It's ok, can't be perfect, and that someone says something has the ''best grafix ever omg!!1!1!!'' just because it looks good is nothing new (not that TLOU is one of those cases), it happens a lot with mobile games for instance, lots of people say OMG it has xbox 360 lvl grafix!!! when you look at the game closely you realize it looks like an upscaled ps2 game with lots of edges (for ''360 LEVEL GRAFIX'') in a game that has bad color and no draw distance... just don't judge graphics thaaat much, if it looks good it looks good doesn't matter if there are 1.000.000 straws of grass or ''only'' 400.000

Yeah, I'd agree a little on the textures and stuff. The character models are awesome, but there are some little things that don't have the polish I expected. LIke someone else mentioned, I think a lot of it is the hangover from seeing all this next gen stuff.

I think it's Naughty Dog (and other great developers) spoiling us though. It's incredible the difference when you play their games and some of the other crap that gets released in this gen.

I think the bullshots were a bit too much building unrealistic hype. still it looks impressive, though.

i dont know why, but i felt at the beginning the graphics looked worse than after the first mission or two. but i guess the ps3's age just shows now. we saw tons of fancy new graphics and great looking stuff at E3 that this doesnt seem to impress much anymore