By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The last of us not as good as once thought? (Graphics)

Brutalyst said:
ishiki said:
Brutalyst said:
Did anyone notice how the graphics seem to cycle from blurry to clear constantly?

Watch Joel while playing as thats where its most notable. Im not sure if it was intended or just the system limitations, it was a bit off putting though.

I haven't played it yet.

Is it motion blur? A lot of games have that to cover up model/animation issues or to give motion more umph, but imo it makes games look more nauseating, while hurting the FPS.

Not really motion blur (though there is some of that also)

Best way to describe is like were seeing it through a camera, and that camera keeps going out of focus. Not randomly though, like a 2 or 3 second cycle.

Yeah, there's a lot of camera filters in the game.  I like the ones where you walk outside, and it looks like the sunlight is bouncing off of dirt.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
plaZeHD said:

It shows exactly what CGI and I said. It has nothing to do with textures.

You guys could just explain that tessellation is polygon manipulation instead of not explaining to the person as to what it is. :P

Thats what ND does, they show levels with the best graphics on their games usually at big conventions (E3)
Then you play other levels and graphics look like crap, Uncharted had the same thing going on, some levels were like amazing while most others looked like ps2 games.

DeadBigfoot21 said:
Thats what ND does, they show levels with the best graphics on their games usually at big conventions (E3)
Then you play other levels and graphics look like crap, Uncharted had the same thing going on, some levels were like amazing while most others looked like ps2 games.

That's just trolling. Nothing in any Uncharted games looks like PS2 graphics. 

@OP: The PS3 is showing its age, that's for sure. But I think the graphics in The Last of Us are among the best there is on the current gen, and even if you can spot some rough edges here and there if you really look for them, the overall result is incredibly consistent throughout. The environments are rich and detailed, lighting is very convincing, character models are very detailed and incredibly animated...

Makes you wonder how awesome ND's games will look on the PS4.

Considering the game is on a (almost) 7 year old console, I think it looks fantastic.
And it launching the week of E3, where we saw almost nothing but next gen titles, I could understand why some think it looks a little disappointing.

Around the Network
snyperdud said:
Considering the game is on a (almost) 7 year old console, I think it looks fantastic.
And it launching the week of E3, where we saw almost nothing but next gen titles, I could understand why some think it looks a little disappointing.

Prior to playing The Last of Us, I was playing games on my PC (Bioshock Infinite, Sleeping Dogs, DMC, ...) with their graphics maxed.

So when I finally got The Last of Us, I felt the game didn't look as good as I expected. Mostly because of the jaggies.

But as I played the game a little more, I stopped noticing those and I had to stop at times to just look at the scenery because of how awesome it looked.

Go figure.