By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Calm down, MS policies are not that bad.

Id like to point out that dismissing aargument. Because someone has a agenda is easy to do.... however its a logic fallacy and makes your argument invalid

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:

That discourages second hand sales, they can be compared on some minor points. What happened to the internet wide uproar at this? You bought the product but must pay more again on top?

And preowned values on those games dived. I can sell a normal game for usually 30-40, but a game with an online pass usually goes for 15$ cheaper. That is not however the case for the MS DRM.

Of course, online pass games (used) at gamestop are generally more expensive, because gamestop wants its cut. It is only the ebayers who lose out.

If we want companies not to use DRM tactics, we should not buy those games, until they learn. We cannot boycott individual titles on the xb1 however, because it is the console which provides the drm. In which case, should we boycott the console?

(I do not buy online pass games. I refuse....and I also do not buy used games. Treat me like a customer, not a wallet, or a theif, and I'll pay your prices, usually on day 1. That is my philosophy)

Boycott anti-consumer tactics, support quality programming. Vote with your wallet.

bonkers555 said:
IT"S FREAKING THAT BAD...

But I do agree that most of the thread here are just for flaming. Most of the people here are not buying a Xbox One regardless because they are PS fanboys.

being a multiple console owner its hard in these mean streets.  but its the zombie apocolypse.  we shouldve seen it coming theyve been trying to eat the flesh of xbox gamers for years.  im still laughing at how they scoffed at xbox gamers paying for live but now its a good thing for them but its still bad for live users.

The real reason I don't like Microsoft's new policy? They gave themselves total control over the One's marketplace when the marketplace on the 360 was, for lack of a better word, lazy. Microsoft has shown time and time again that they just aren't willing to maintain their marketplace properly.

Take my recent purchase of Perfect Dark Zero, for example. It's not exactly a bad game, but it definitely disappointed fans, and it is a reasonably old game. It's fair to expect a low price. On XBox Marketplace, it's $15. A quick internet search reveals the highest price a competitor is selling it for is $5. I got it for $2.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but because the digital copy forces me to burn hard drive space, and proprietary hard drives are expensive, shouldn't the digital copy be cheaper? It's not like you're paying inventory or labor costs, either.

It's not just about the price here, either. I could tell the game I was picking up wasn't going to be that good just because of the price: it's dirt cheap to clear out inventory because no one wants it. $15 however, is just high enough it could go be decent at least.

Just everything about Microsoft screams poor marketplace management. In it's defense, Sony isn't any better, but Sony also makes no effort to lock me into their digital marketplace: they only provide it as an option.

theprof00 said:
ironmanDX said:

That discourages second hand sales, they can be compared on some minor points. What happened to the internet wide uproar at this? You bought the product but must pay more again on top?

And preowned values on those games dived. I can sell a normal game for usually 30-40, but a game with an online pass usually goes for 15$ cheaper. That is not however the case for the MS DRM.

Of course, online pass games (used) at gamestop are generally more expensive, because gamestop wants its cut. It is only the ebayers who lose out.

If we want companies not to use DRM tactics, we should not buy those games, until they learn. We cannot boycott individual titles on the xb1 however, because it is the console which provides the drm. In which case, should we boycott the console?

(I do not buy online pass games. I refuse....and I also do not buy used games. Treat me like a customer, not a wallet, or a theif, and I'll pay your prices, usually on day 1. That is my philosophy)

Boycott anti-consumer tactics, support quality programming. Vote with your wallet.

see thats where you are wrong if publisher a has something you dont like you boycott the entire publisher's catalog.  other than that it's half assed nit-picking

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:

We already bitched and moaned about it when Sony first implemented Online Passes with their titles. Where were you for the last few years?

It also does not discourage second hand sales since it only applies to a small portion of PS3 titles, and those with that DRM tend to drop in price at a much faster rate, causing them to cost less than games without it. Any offline or single players games are 100% unaffected and you can still sell those titles privately or to a retailer.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

the2real4mafol said:
My problem is that internet is required even to play single player, why should you need to? Also, we can't act like some of us are unaffected. As technology is never flawless. It's bound to have problems from time to time whether it's your own internet or the servers of the game. Just remind yourself of the mess that was Sim City... Now imagine that with your Xbox One, you may want to game but can't because the server crashed and because you must sign in to game, you won't be able to play single player either. It's just stupid. Worst Case Scenario- Let's say Xbox Live got hacked and went down for a month, that would mean the Xbox would only be functionable for 24 hours and then after that won't work as you can't check in. Worst case here, but it's just absurd. I just hope Microsoft will be ready unlike EA was.

Also, there is still no compelling argument to stop second hand sales and i don't think there ever will be.

you don't need to check in when you play it needs to check in once every 24h.... if you have gaps on your internet connection bigger than 24h on a regular basis you should change ISP....

and what happened to sony is not gonna happen any time soon to MS servers... their infrastructure is bigger and stronger from what I dug a while back during the Sony attacks.... and with a deployement of 300K servers it ain't gonna happen....

and they don't want to cut second hand sale and never did, they just want to leave the door open to a new business model where profit is shared between the likes of game stop and devs.... and I don't see why you couldn't sell it directly if all the buyer needs is to buy a key to play then just integrate that in your pricing.... if done correctly everybody will win from it... that's yet to be proven though, but the business model is actually really viable and good.... now up to MS and ev not abuse it and use it fairly in their pricing 

tres said:

see thats where you are wrong if publisher a has something you dont like you boycott the entire publisher's catalog.  other than that it's half assed nit-picking

Why boycott the whole catalog. I don't want to destroy them, I want them to learn a lesson. If we don't buy ANYTHING from them, they're just going to think that their games aren't that good anymore, and possibly change them. If they make a good game and there's no drm, I'll buy it. That way, when they look at the charts and see one game with drm underperforming, and the other without drm performing well, they might just rethink their strategies.

A lot of companies are going to learn hard lessons this generation. People aren't going to stand for this anymore. It's going way beyond drm.

DJEVOLVE said:

I'm writing this because of all the article's posted non-stop seeming by people with Sony plastered all over their sig. Maybe just a coincidence.

1.Really ask your self, when is the last time I have not had internet? and if you have not had it, maybe you should be worrying about other things rather then gaming on $400-$500 systems.

2.How many software companies failed last gen due to Used game sales? And why didn't you see this coming?

3.Why do you think it's going to be that much different on PS4? Sony said they are leaving it up to game developers. So meaning most third party will require this.

Internet is the future. Google Fiber is making it's way around the U.S. and I can see it making massive leaps in the next 5 years.

4.You can borrow your friends games when your not using them, They also can't break your disc or lose your copy. you own your game forever, ever and ever. It

can't get broke. You just redownload it.

Anecdotal evidence: The only friends of mine who are having major issues, are the people that never buy games in the first place and when they do, it's used. My 20 year old brother doesn't have a issue with it, if he can afford internet, you can too.

Also lets be honest, most of you posting threads are just really flaming. Most of you never intended on buying xbox one.

If you are not going to buy it and never where anyway. Stop the doom threads. Go buy a WiiU. I own one, it's great. So lets just chill out with doomed/flame threads.

Internet is here to stay and google is going to make sure of that. Also lets have some positive feed back from Xbox fans, what policies do you like? what games? features? What about Illumi-room? and did anyone see it at E3? This is something I want to see a lot more on.

Also if you worried about privacy, Get up and unplug the Device after every use. It really is that simple. I highly doubt xbox is going to spy on you and why would they have to? Your phone has a microphone, camera, phone records, text records and your name is attached to it. If they where going to spy, it would be on your phone.

Google fiber link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2013/06/11/googles-not-so-evil-plan-to-lower-your-cable-bill/

Gamestop record profits that would have been spent on Games and remember, most people are only saving $5 dollars on used games.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/67927/gamestop-reports-record-f2010-year#

1. I live in NYC and my internet was cut out the other day for almost the whole day and it was because my provider just decided to do it (this happens quite often), i have no choice in my interent provider either. So tell me why in this large Metroplitan City that the internet goes out if we supposedly live in a world with always connected.

2. I believe actually No companies falied this last gen because of used game sales, I believe it was mainly because of the over spending on the development of games and the poor management of companies by publishers. Just look at THQ.

3. Not only for the reasons they said it, But after the show they Expained what 3rd Party Developers will be able to do, while the XBone is more similar to what has been done before on SimCity and Diablo 3. Oh and the Simple Fact the PS4 does not need to be Connected .... EVER
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-vs-xbox-720-which-is-better-1127315

4. No, only a one time borrowing usage is not going to go over all that well.

While i love what google fiber is trying to do there is a reason why they are not spread across the US and that is because of the Oligopoly Market of cable and internet providers, they are all the same and they all will fight google even in the court systems. So maybe one day we can be where the XBone wants us to be, but as of right now even in the US we arent that close to being online all of the time.
And you say most of the threads that are against the XBone are just Flame threads, well then dont go in them, if thats how you view them than worry about your own experience.

endimion said:

you don't need to check in when you play it needs to check in once every 24h.... if you have gaps on your internet connection bigger than 24h on a regular basis you should change ISP....

I see that counter argument so often, but it's also very flawed.
It's NOT just our internet that has to be reliable, but Microsoft's too (Have people really learn't nothing from Sim City and Diablo 3?). - What happens if Microsoft gets hacked and the Live! network goes down for a few months like what happened with the Playstation network?

Or what if say... 30 years down the track you wanted to pull the console out of the shed and do some retro gaming only to discover that Microsoft shut it's servers off? Good bye retro-gaming of any kind!

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--