By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Calm down, MS policies are not that bad.

sub-zero-TM said:
ironmanDX said:
sub-zero-TM said:
OMG! and yes it's that bad! i don't understand how can anyone support this console!? -_-

The PS3 already has forms of DRM, how do you support it?

Sorry but you meant the Ps4 not the ps3 right? And aren't those forms only online passes same with the ps3?

I meant the PS3. You can't say one DRM is bad while one is good, can you?

No you can't. But if you had to, like us gamers do, you can go with the lesser of two evils!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
ironmanDX said:

You seriously trying to compare Online passes to the DRM on the XBone?

No. I said its DRM. It is.

bonkers555 said:
Cobretti2 said:
my problem with all this is what happens when the generation ends and the services are shutdown and you can no longer do your 24hour verification?

Better yet what happens if 10-15 years from now I want to play halo 5 - 7 and my xbox is busted so I buy a second hand console on eBay?

This is also my #1 concern. I still own games from my Atari 2600 that I can just plug into my TV and just play and that's from 30 years ago. But I believe if they decide to back track it could be easily fix by a simple patch.

haha yer i still got an atari 2600. 

A simple patch would fix it indeed, but im not gonna ganble on a console hopining it will happen at the end of the generation.

ironmanDX said:
Euphoria14 said:
ironmanDX said:

Agreed, but they are nothing alike. The two cannot be compared.

One blocks multiplayer gaming for preowned games if they choose to go with Online passes while the other blocks gaming entirely across all titles if you do not adhere to daily checkups or have no internet connection at all whether the game is purchased new or used.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
ironmanDX said:
Euphoria14 said:
ironmanDX said:

Agreed, but they are nothing alike. The two cannot be compared.

One blocks multiplayer gaming for preowned games if they choose to go with Online passes while the other blocks gaming entirely across all titles if you do not adhere to daily checkups or have no internet connection at all whether the game is purchased new or used.

That discourages second hand sales, they can be compared on some minor points. What happened to the internet wide uproar at this? You bought the product but must pay more again on top?

Around the Network

Second paragraph is ignorant as fuck and insulting.

It IS that bad, and this is coming from someone who owns an original Xbox, an Xbox 360, and a subscription to LIVE.

It's bad for consumers, it's bad for the industry, and it could set a terrible standard for other industries.

I wish we could all come together like we did when free speech was threatened in video games, because we knew that free speech was something that transcended video games and was worth protecting at all costs. Well, copyright law and consumers' rights are things that transcend games and are worth protecting. And we should be protecting them, since we know better than your everyday video game fan. And the best way to do that is to say "no" to Xbox One, because if we do endorse this DRM formula, it will only get worse, for the video game industry and for other entertainment industries.

The only good that might come from this is a legal battle in which the policies are quashed. But that's hardly a given. The first-sale doctrine IS law, but it's not written in stone; it's been amended before.

DJEVOLVE said:
sub-zero-TM said:
OMG! and yes it's that bad! i don't understand how can anyone support this console!? -_-

Have you ever owned xbox. All the time I have been here you have downplayed xbox. So when where you ever planning to buy it?

Who cares?  It still doesn't take away from the fact that the Xbox One policies are anti-consumer.  Policy is policy.  Owning the console doesn't make a bad policy any better.

This notion that used games are somehow putting video game publishers out of business is complete bull****. It is a lie to justify their corporate greed, nothing more.

I ask you: What other company/industry feels entitled to double (triple) dip into a consumer's pocket AFTER the initial sale of their product? If you sell your car, do you send Toyota a check with their 'cut' of the sale? If you sell a bunch of old DVDs or CD's at a garage sale, does Warner Bros or Geffen records come pounding on your door to collect their share of the re-sale? If you lend your paperback copy of War and Peace to your friend, does he need to pay Random House a fee in order to read it?

What's so special about video game companies that they are entitled to make more money off of a game that they've already sold once to a consumer? Answer: NOTHING. This is just an underhanded move based on corporate greed that screws the customer by trying to milk them for cash every time a BOUGHT AND PAID FOR copy of their game changes hands.

Let's just call Microsoft's policies for what they are: anti-consumer.

taus90 said:

omg LOL, Some guy in the US with a stable internet connection thinks that, all the people around the world with unstable internet connection are themselves to blame, and that stupid analogy of cell phones, its a communication devices it is meant to be connected.. and Xbox was supposed to be a gaming device which was meant to be played no matter if its online or offline.. heck for weeks i don't even connect my cell to the internet, and it doesn't stop being useless.

1. Oh I have a stable internet connection, and i don't mind connecting my console to the internet whole damn time but i don't want online authentication for my disc based games, simple as that, and i want to be sure that when my net if in case goes down, i would be able to play my games to kill time untill its back online.

2. Make a great game, it will succeed and so will the studio.. if u make a crap game and expect people to buy it at $60 then u deserve to be shutdown. and one of the reason why Sony has self publishing for indie's

3. Unlike Sony, MS has a native DRM, and surprise, surprise PS4 DRM is the same as PS3 and i dont see anybody complaining, and sony confirmed that they wont be having DRM at all on the games they publish.. which make DRM null on PS4, excepts for third parties which i assume should nothing more than Online passes.

4.Again google Fiber is irrelevant, if i don't want to connect my surveillance device, for DRM checks.

5. Well its clear u haven't handled much of BR disc, its very hard to scratch or damage, and I haven't seen anybody so careless with their game discs, unless Sony provides disc scratcher in drive like 360, if u do damage it then ur to blame. But clearly 120 mill console owners arent complaing about this. Still PS4 will have a Digital copy available for all of its game so people who don't want resell or trade and are afraid they might damage the disk they can download the game from PSN on their USER UPGRADABLE HDD and play it offline without any internet checks

And heck if my friends breaks or loose my copy he is the one who will be buying me a new copy! same applies to me

6. We are 5 friends each of us have decided to buy PS4 on launch.. and one game each I pre-ordered Knack, when i m done with my copy i can lend it to one of my friend and borrow his copy of Driveclub or Killzone, SIMPLE isn't it! and if i like the game i will purchase it from him if its 3rd party I will purchase unlock code to play online. I don't have to wait 30 days just to play it or lend anyone and borrow for one time use only.

7. Have u visited official xbox forum or xbox oriented sites, the views are unanimous from xbox gamers, except for few left MS fans. All my friends i mentioned are Xbox 360 owners, and i was first gen xbox owner. even their views are the same.. why should we pay $499 for inferior hardware and features which will be useless outside US.

8. Oh and I was thinking about jumping the ship to xbox earlier in the year, coz my friends persuaded me to do so, they asked me to wait till the Xbox reveal and then decide. But thanks to MS this time it was 1>4, they jumped the ship. :D

9. Yeah Internet is here to stay, only an idiot would refute that.. but i don't want MS to control my gaming habits with it. No i don't want my gf to skype me while I'm playing Dark Souls 2, it will break us up. I have a phone for that.. and no i don't want to watch live TV while playing online, haven't watched TV in ages.

10. PS3 and Vita online play will stay free, and I would be stupid to mind, and not buy a service which gives u 3 free games each month, discounts and reliable gaikai servers. Oh and I wouldn't need PS+ to play F2P games.

ur comparison of cell phone to a game console fails on some many level, i know the risk when i bought a phone yes it has mic it has a camera. So in that sense my Fridge should have online connectivity too and should come with a mic and camera. and would shut the door lock if its not connected in 24 hours to check if the food is fresh or not.

I can only guess that deep down u know MS policies are rubbish and against gamer's interest, but ur not defending coz u love MS, ur fighting coz u hate Sony. everybody loves to support underdog, but MS is not an underdog.

Majority have decided, and there will always be minority, I was in the minority when original Xbox released but nowin this case u r in the minority!

This should have been the first and last reply in this thread.