By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Could be fake, but.... (XB1 engineer talks)

chapset said:
starcraft said:
^

So you guys never play a movie, watch a TV show, log on to a social media network?

He didn't seem to take account of the current game slate either (likely by virtue of being an engineer), which most sites are acknowledging tips in Xbox ONE's favour.

Either way, very clever read. Its been two days since E3 and already we're starting to see the excitement hangover, the dust settling and people stopping to think, 'shit, MS showed some great exclusives' and 'now that I think about it, Sony's DRM policy is pretty close to Microsoft's, they both just leave it to publishers.'

Can already do that with current gen consoles and i can watch tv without any consoles, crazy right! I know

yet having to switch canal and switch remotes is just so oldfashioned.... in those day and age I should be able to handle my entire in house entertainement hands free while cooking dinner.... XB360 and kinect 1 got closer and XB1 and kinect 2 is getting right there.... but hey if you want to keep a bunch of remots and batteries and all kind of extra unecessary and even outrageous steps in those day and age it is up to you my friend... now i'll be able to do a game session call friends or familly, get up go in the kitchen fix meself some fine dinner while watching TV, come back and borrow a "close friend" game all that seemlessly.... so far XB1 is the only truly next gen console (call it media box if you want, it's what I want anyway) PS4 is just a more powerful current gen console....

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

starcraft said:

Obviously.

But clearly his point was this...Do you want to purchase a next generation console for an enormous amount of money, and not use any of its features other than an ability to play games?

If you do, thats fine, and all the existing market research indicates you're in a tiny minority (and that is based on the current gen consoles you referenced).  Even if you do, current game line ups are at worst equivelant.  But if you want any further features, it is becoming clear the Xbox ONE has significant advantages over the PS4.

The shocking news... I'm buying a next generation console for enormous amout of money to play games.

Am I getting crazy or what?

Not at all.

And I'd take you seriously if I wasn't approximately 99.9999999% sure I have seen you advocating for the PS4's other features on these very forums

Do you see what I did there?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

MoHasanie said:
Well maybe they really did have good intentions and wanted to make life easier for gamers. And they are making life easier with the cloud and their servers, but I still don't get why they'd have an online requirement when currently only 46 million out of the 77 million 360 users even have a Live account. This seems like an extremely silly thing to do. Nevertheless, I wish them the best of luck and hopefully they can improve the image of the Xbox One, cause right now it is very bad.

we have no idea how many people dont have an account the most we can say is 30 mil since we dont know how many of the 77 are replace models or people who have more then one console with the same account

starcraft said:

But if you want any further features, it is becoming clear the Xbox ONE has significant advantages over the PS4.

Name them.

I keep hearing about these advantages, but nobody ever seems to name them.

Name them.

starcraft said:
theprof00 said:
starcraft said:
^

So you guys never play a movie, watch a TV show, log on to a social media network?

He didn't seem to take account of the current game slate either (likely by virtue of being an engineer), which most sites are acknowledging tips in Xbox ONE's favour.

Either way, very clever read. Its been two days since E3 and already we're starting to see the excitement hangover, the dust settling and people stopping to think, 'shit, MS showed some great exclusives' and 'now that I think about it, Sony's DRM policy is pretty close to Microsoft's, they both just leave it to publishers.'

lol 100% nonsense.

DRM is completely different. Mandatory vs optional. And the exclusives list...the true exclusives, are now speculating as timed.

Not at all.

What DRM has Microsoft made mandatory?  A once-a-day check in that they have been extremely up front about.  The only exclusive of Xbox ONE receiving even base timed speculation is Titanfall, and they have made it clear they havent green lit anything, letalone actually started work on a port.

Anything a third party publisher will do for a multiplat on Xbox ONE they'll also impose on the PS4 version.

And that is without the enormous advantage of being able to share your games, online, from ONE disc, with TEN of your friends.

This may not be your cup of tea, and that is fine, but it is certainly not 100% nonsense.

Registering to an account is mandatory for all games. Did you not know this? Well sorry to break it to you.

Third party publishers don't HAVE to impose anything because MS is already doing it lol. I don't know who got the idea that publishers would be programming in DRM into xb1 games when MS' entire strategy is to do it FOR THEM lol What are they going to port over? Nonexistant code?

Ten of your friends is unconfirmed. Depending on how this ten friends thing works out, I may actually buy an xb1, but I'll bet there are all kinds of limitations on this.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:

..." It was only once they had a digital marketplace with DRM that was locked down to prevent sharing that they could do super discounted shit."
... "Hey publishers, you limit game to 39.99, we ensure every license transfer you get 10$, gamestop gets 20$" that is a decent model... Microsoft gets a license fee on first and subsequent game purchases, compared to just first now? That's a revenue increase.".

.. We come in trying to find a way to take money out of gamestop, and put some in developers and get you possibly cheaper games and everyone bitches at MS. Well, if you want the @#$@ing from Gamestop, go play PS4."...

(I took text out, it is market with ...)

What! A REASONABLE understanding that we could be paying for games directly?  Not the oil companies for drilling the oil, or the chemical companies for making it into plastic, not the oil companies again to ship the things around the world, plus paying the shippers/packagers, then all the retailers, their rent, their employees, the returns from crazy people, the mark up at retail on games.

So that currently, say a publisher only makes say $5 on a retail game, we could go directly from them on our existing infrastructure (i.e. the Internet) and buy the game from them?

So, with what you are stating, the cost of the game we buy digitally, more of those dollars actually goes to people who make/created the game?  So can we conclude that they will then have more money to make more games?

Right now, yes it looks like a hybrid of digital/retail.  Seems like an awkward baby step, but I get what you are saying.

My only current bump is for people say with say with bad or no internet, like soldiers station over seas.  I know they can’t play online games, but I hope they find a way to let them play offline games – say having your console set in offline mode.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

This guy can bring up crap that's very anti-consumer disguised as "we want to be Steam", but at the end of the day I won't be able to rent games for this console.

If this isn't lame, I don't know what is.

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Platinumed Destiny, Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Catherine, and Metal Gear Rising. Get on my level!!

Get your Portable ID!                                                                                     

Let's assume this is true for a moment, Steam prices are what they are because they have to compete with piracy. If piracy was solved on PC then you can be sure steam prices would never drop. This here in lies the problem: console market isn't as affected by piracy. They can completely get rid of physical and used market, but it'll be bad for consumers because prices will not drop. New games have to compete with the used game market and overstock which is why new games get discounted within a month. But flawed logic is flawed logic.

I can totally believe this. This is exactly how MS views the world.

Carl2291 said:
starcraft said:
Carl2291 said:
Is there a link for this? Where did you find it?

Anyway.

"Publishers have enourmous power. Microsoft is trying to balance between consumer delight, and publisher wishes. If we cave to far in either direction you have a non-starting product. WiiU goes too far to consumer, you have no 3rd party support to shake a stick at. PS4 is status-quo. XB1 is trying to push some things, at the expense of others. We have a vision, we'll see if it works in the coming years"

That part is most interesting. He talks about caving in to one side more than the other means you have a non-starting product, but then he says the PS4 is sat in a perfect position and they are essentially pushing things for publishers. He essentially says that they have a non-starting product with Xbox One.

If this turns out to be legit, its a great find.

I read PS4 as 'status quo,' which is far from perfect.  Where are you getting 'perfect position?'

Status quo isnt far from perfect, because its where they are now. They have consumer trust and they have devs on board.

How isnt the status quo perfect?

Also still waiting for the source for this.

It was this guy on /b/ last night. 4chan seems to think he's legit.