By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Could be fake, but.... (XB1 engineer talks)

starcraft said:
^

So you guys never play a movie, watch a TV show, log on to a social media network?

He didn't seem to take account of the current game slate either (likely by virtue of being an engineer), which most sites are acknowledging tips in Xbox ONE's favour.

Either way, very clever read. Its been two days since E3 and already we're starting to see the excitement hangover, the dust settling and people stopping to think, 'shit, MS showed some great exclusives' and 'now that I think about it, Sony's DRM policy is pretty close to Microsoft's, they both just leave it to publishers.'

Movies? I've been watching blu-rays on my PS3 for years. TV shows? Netflix and um tv. Social media? Why would I use any console when I have something else that will do it way better (computer, ipad, phone, even vita), but it works on PS3 anyway so I don't get it. That's the problem, Microsoft and some of it's supporters act like the PS3 and PS4 can't do anything besides games when it most definitely can. 

The current game slate? Sure, Microsoft currently has more exclusives revealed (disregarding indie games) 5 months before the consoles are released. However, as Microsoft has been saying repeatedly recently, "it's a marathon not a sprint" so Sony has plenty of time to show the exclusives that everyone knows they will have (naughty dog, media molecule, Sony Santa Monica, quantic dream, another from guerrilla games, etc...) So let's just wait for all of both consoles games to be announced and just be happy with what we've got.

And DRM, again like the PS3 the PS4 will not have any offline DRM, but a third-party publisher can force you to get an online pass, while Xbox games all have DRM and mandatory online every 24 hours. Big difference there. 

Around the Network
Zappykins said:
theprof00 said:

..." It was only once they had a digital marketplace with DRM that was locked down to prevent sharing that they could do super discounted shit."
... "Hey publishers, you limit game to 39.99, we ensure every license transfer you get 10$, gamestop gets 20$" that is a decent model... Microsoft gets a license fee on first and subsequent game purchases, compared to just first now? That's a revenue increase.".

.. We come in trying to find a way to take money out of gamestop, and put some in developers and get you possibly cheaper games and everyone bitches at MS. Well, if you want the @#$@ing from Gamestop, go play PS4."...

(I took text out, it is market with ...)

What! A REASONABLE understanding that we could be paying for games directly?  Not the oil companies for drilling the oil, or the chemical companies for making it into plastic, not the oil companies again to ship the things around the world, plus paying the shippers/packagers, then all the retailers, their rent, their employees, the returns from crazy people, the mark up at retail on games.

So that currently, say a publisher only makes say $5 on a retail game, we could go directly from them on our existing infrastructure (i.e. the Internet) and buy the game from them?

So, with what you are stating, the cost of the game we buy digitally, more of those dollars actually goes to people who make/created the game?  So can we conclude that they will then have more money to make more games?

Right now, yes it looks like a hybrid of digital/retail.  Seems like an awkward baby step, but I get what you are saying.

My only current bump is for people say with say with bad or no internet, like soldiers station over seas.  I know they can’t play online games, but I hope they find a way to let them play offline games – say having your console set in offline mode.

The problem is....there's a better way to fix this system.

Miguel_Zorro said:
theprof00 said:
Blood_Tears said:
Why the hell does Gamestop even advertise X1 when according to this guy, MS wants to take money from them?

Because it's a lie. It's actually good for them. The online DRM Fucks ebay and personal sellers, and funnels all those sales to "Microsoft Partners who integrate Windows Azure", which will likely cost them money, more money than say a small mom and pop can afford.

Nah. GameStop IS screwed. As they should be. Gamestop has horrible customer service and adds nothing to the gaming industry. 

I've found myself, as a Playsation fan, in the odd position of defending Microsoft's DRM against other Playstion fans.   I still don't plan to buy an Xbox One, but I have no problem with their DRM for somebody like me. I buy many of the arguments made in the OP and I've made many of them myself.  I think the always online stuff is stupid, but the other stuff make sense. 

As I was telling my girlfriend earlier tonight, I believe the vast majority of games will be purchased through digital delivery by the end of the PS4 / X1 generation anyways. Half of my PS3 games are digital delivery - making this entire DRM thing largely irrelevant. 

Right for someone like you, it's fine, same for me mostly. The problem is, for many people, how do you sell these games?

hmm this could get interesting if they could get something like Steam to work on consoles.

theprof00 said:
starcraft said:
theprof00 said:
starcraft said:
^

So you guys never play a movie, watch a TV show, log on to a social media network?

He didn't seem to take account of the current game slate either (likely by virtue of being an engineer), which most sites are acknowledging tips in Xbox ONE's favour.

Either way, very clever read. Its been two days since E3 and already we're starting to see the excitement hangover, the dust settling and people stopping to think, 'shit, MS showed some great exclusives' and 'now that I think about it, Sony's DRM policy is pretty close to Microsoft's, they both just leave it to publishers.'

lol 100% nonsense.

DRM is completely different. Mandatory vs optional. And the exclusives list...the true exclusives, are now speculating as timed.

Not at all.

What DRM has Microsoft made mandatory?  A once-a-day check in that they have been extremely up front about.  The only exclusive of Xbox ONE receiving even base timed speculation is Titanfall, and they have made it clear they havent green lit anything, letalone actually started work on a port.

Anything a third party publisher will do for a multiplat on Xbox ONE they'll also impose on the PS4 version.

And that is without the enormous advantage of being able to share your games, online, from ONE disc, with TEN of your friends.

This may not be your cup of tea, and that is fine, but it is certainly not 100% nonsense.

Registering to an account is mandatory for all games. Did you not know this? Well sorry to break it to you.

Third party publishers don't HAVE to impose anything because MS is already doing it lol. I don't know who got the idea that publishers would be programming in DRM into xb1 games when MS' entire strategy is to do it FOR THEM lol What are they going to port over? Nonexistant code?

Ten of your friends is unconfirmed. Depending on how this ten friends thing works out, I may actually buy an xb1, but I'll bet there are all kinds of limitations on this.

it is confirmed   Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games.  You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license 

Around the Network

They clarified that. Online gameplay is up to publishers like online pass. The 24 hr check is not a publisher service, it is offered by the X1, now third parties can come up with something similar if they want to. My point is sony clarified that the 24 hr check system will not apply to your single player game. They might have some legal leverage to coerce publishers on being compatible with their platform. But X1 does have some great exclusives, some timed but nevertheless great line up.  I am all for online DRM if we get cheaper games by the way.

:Microsoft is trying to balance between consumer delight, and publisher wishes."

my ass!!!

Azerth said:
theprof00 said:
starcraft said:
theprof00 said:
starcraft said:
^

lol 100% nonsense.

DRM is completely different. Mandatory vs optional. And the exclusives list...the true exclusives, are now speculating as timed.

Not at all.

What DRM has Microsoft made mandatory?  A once-a-day check in that they have been extremely up front about.  The only exclusive of Xbox ONE receiving even base timed speculation is Titanfall, and they have made it clear they havent green lit anything, letalone actually started work on a port.

Anything a third party publisher will do for a multiplat on Xbox ONE they'll also impose on the PS4 version.

And that is without the enormous advantage of being able to share your games, online, from ONE disc, with TEN of your friends.

This may not be your cup of tea, and that is fine, but it is certainly not 100% nonsense.

Registering to an account is mandatory for all games. Did you not know this? Well sorry to break it to you.

Third party publishers don't HAVE to impose anything because MS is already doing it lol. I don't know who got the idea that publishers would be programming in DRM into xb1 games when MS' entire strategy is to do it FOR THEM lol What are they going to port over? Nonexistant code?

Ten of your friends is unconfirmed. Depending on how this ten friends thing works out, I may actually buy an xb1, but I'll bet there are all kinds of limitations on this.

it is confirmed   Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games.  You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license 

Just a week ago they were saying something completely different, so I'll wait and see on this issue.

Previously they said, bring your game to a friend's house and log in, once you leave, and take your account with you, he still has the game installed and can choose to buy it.

People from Microsoft are too full of themselves. They wont understand until they feel the brunt of it financially. The greedy bastards dont deserve to sell a single unit, but some people buy anything.

endimion said:
chapset said:
starcraft said:
^

Can already do that with current gen consoles and i can watch tv without any consoles, crazy right! I know

yet having to switch canal and switch remotes is just so oldfashioned.... in those day and age I should be able to handle my entire in house entertainement hands free while cooking dinner.... XB360 and kinect 1 got closer and XB1 and kinect 2 is getting right there.... but hey if you want to keep a bunch of remots and batteries and all kind of extra unecessary and even outrageous steps in those day and age it is up to you my friend... now i'll be able to do a game session call friends or familly, get up go in the kitchen fix meself some fine dinner while watching TV, come back and borrow a "close friend" game all that seemlessly.... so far XB1 is the only truly next gen console (call it media box if you want, it's what I want anyway) PS4 is just a more powerful current gen console....

Yet you still won't play games and watch TV at the same time even with XB1. You can track scores , sure, but to actually watch the game, you will ultimately have to switch. Still ends up being the same thing. I guess you can use your voice now...great but for people with accents, it probably won't understand them anyway....now what?

How about those that don't even live in the U.S? Why do they pay more and don't even get half of the console's touted functionality? The strategy just isn't logistically sound no matter how you slice it. I guess all M$ cares about is the U.S. market.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler