By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - All Stars sells One million globally

ChristianSoldier said:
For Comparison Smash bros Brawl sold 11.5 million

Ouch. Still, 1 million is a good milestone. Congrats to the devs.

Around the Network
DucksUnlimited said:
sales2099 said:
DucksUnlimited said:
sales2099 said:
Yup, a bad attempt to capture the Smash Bros sales pie.

Always thought this games roster said that Sony was never big on their own mascots.

You mean because of the 3 or so third party characters?

More then 3, but that beyond Drake and Kratos, there truly is no mass awareness mascots in there. Just the way it is.

Ahh you're right. it was 4. i've made a terrible mistake.

How is sackboy not mass awareness when LBP sold better than any GoW game? And Toro is literally Sony's main mascot in Japan, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't include him. Beyond Mario, DK, Link and Pokemon, there aren't really any big Nintendo mascots. Would you argue that Nintendo has never been big on their mascots? Lol.

Given Sackboy is only from this gen and sales dropped off considerably after each new LBP comes out, I wouldn't consider him a sustainable mass awareness mascot. Toro....not exactly known outside Japan. I mean when Nintendo introduced Marth and Roy, not exactly known western mascots......Nintendo does the smart thing and makes a western release of Fire Emblem games. I have seen no Toro games worth noting in western markets.

The Mario IP is so huge there are dozens of characters that are now mass market aware by association, just because they are seen in mario games.

A Goomba has more awareness then most Sony mascots.......

This debate has been done countless times in the months before this game released. The sales of this game compared to Smash Bros only solidifies my stance......Sony was not in a position to make a mascot based fighting game. You could say MS is even worse, but then again they don't have their own fighting game.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

1Mil sales is about what this game deserves. It's certainly not a bad game, but it lacks so much content. Too bad a Playstation AllStars 2 probably will never be produced now...

sales2099 said:
DucksUnlimited said:
sales2099 said:
DucksUnlimited said:
sales2099 said:
Yup, a bad attempt to capture the Smash Bros sales pie.

Always thought this games roster said that Sony was never big on their own mascots.

You mean because of the 3 or so third party characters?

More then 3, but that beyond Drake and Kratos, there truly is no mass awareness mascots in there. Just the way it is.

Ahh you're right. it was 4. i've made a terrible mistake.

How is sackboy not mass awareness when LBP sold better than any GoW game? And Toro is literally Sony's main mascot in Japan, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't include him. Beyond Mario, DK, Link and Pokemon, there aren't really any big Nintendo mascots. Would you argue that Nintendo has never been big on their mascots? Lol.

Given Sackboy is only from this gen and sales dropped off considerably after each new LBP comes out, I wouldn't consider him a sustainable mass awareness mascot. Toro....not exactly known outside Japan. I mean when Nintendo introduced Marth and Roy, not exactly known western mascots......Nintendo does the smart thing and makes a western release of Fire Emblem games. I have seen no Toro games worth noting in western markets.

The Mario IP is so huge there are dozens of characters that are now mass market aware by association, just because they are seen in mario games.

This debate has been done countless times in the months before this game released. The sales of this game compared to Smash Bros only solidifies my stance......Sony was not in a position to make a mascot based fighting game. You could say MS is even worse, but then again they don't have their own fighting game.

Bolded: Considering there have only been 2 LBP games and the second one still sold 3 million despite little marketing and a lack of bundling as compared to the first game, Sackboy is most certainly a notable mascot.

Underlined: He was a character in Street Fighter X Tekken, which sold primarily in the west.

Italicized: No, the sales solidify the stance that the game mechanics and presentation were just lackluster, not to mention the absolutely horrid marketing for the game.

DucksUnlimited said:
sales2099 said:

Bolded: Considering there have only been 2 LBP games and the second one still sold 3 million despite little marketing and a lack of bundling as compared to the first game, Sackboy is most certainly a notable mascot.

Underlined: He was a character in Street Fighter X Tekken, which sold primarily in the west.

Italicized: No, the sales solidify the stance that the game mechanics and presentation were just lackluster, not to mention the absolutely horrid marketing for the game.

Sounds like shifting the blame. The roster simply left a lot to be desired.

I counted LBP PSP/Vita/Karting. IP is IP. Toro making a cameo in a unrelated game. Sure, thats exactly the same as Fire Emblem.....

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

This game should've been held back as a PS4 launch title, with better characters. It would have been received alot better if that were the case.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

badgenome said:

Counting PS+?

Maybe they should make a sequel with CHARACTERS PEOPLE WANT TO PLAY AS.

THANK YOU!  Also more game modes.  You're going to be called a Smash clone anyway so you may as well take some of their best aspects (percentage damage and ring outs) and run with it.  Give us Cloud, Crash, Spyro, Kane, Big Boss (favorite MGS character I would buy Allstars 2 just for him), Lara Croft (the old version), and Dante (the old version) to replace non PS icons like Big Daddy, New Dante, and Raiden.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

NightDragon83 said:
This game should've been held back as a PS4 launch title, with better characters. It would have been received alot better if that were the case.

and more game modes than "supers kill only"

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:
NightDragon83 said:

Yeah that too I guess.  The best thing about the SSB series isn't so much the straight up 4 player battles but the variety of gameplay modes. Even the original SSB had more variety than All Stars too.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:
platformmaster918 said:
NightDragon83 said:

Yeah that too I guess.  The best thing about the SSB series isn't so much the straight up 4 player battles but the variety of gameplay modes. Even the original SSB had more variety than All Stars too.

imo they were going to be called a smash clone anyway they shouldn't have tried so hard to make it different.  Say that you were inspired or it influenced PSAllstars and have a VERY similar game gameplay wise.  Then have the characters I mentioned on the last page.  It benefits both the third party games and Sony to have their characters in a game like this.  Hopefully Sony invests in another from more competent devs due to this one probably making a decent profit (it didn't take a whole lot of cash to make by the looks of it).

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers