By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - All Stars sells One million globally

sales2099 said:
DucksUnlimited said:
sales2099 said:

Given Sackboy is only from this gen and sales dropped off considerably after each new LBP comes out, I wouldn't consider him a sustainable mass awareness mascot. Toro....not exactly known outside Japan. I mean when Nintendo introduced Marth and Roy, not exactly known western mascots......Nintendo does the smart thing and makes a western release of Fire Emblem games. I have seen no Toro games worth noting in western markets.

The Mario IP is so huge there are dozens of characters that are now mass market aware by association, just because they are seen in mario games.

A Goomba has more awareness then most Sony mascots.......

This debate has been done countless times in the months before this game released. The sales of this game compared to Smash Bros only solidifies my stance......Sony was not in a position to make a mascot based fighting game. You could say MS is even worse, but then again they don't have their own fighting game.

Bolded: Considering there have only been 2 LBP games and the second one still sold 3 million despite little marketing and a lack of bundling as compared to the first game, Sackboy is most certainly a notable mascot.

Underlined: He was a character in Street Fighter X Tekken, which sold primarily in the west.

Italicized: No, the sales solidify the stance that the game mechanics and presentation were just lackluster, not to mention the absolutely horrid marketing for the game.

Sounds like shifting the blame. The roster simply left a lot to be desired.

I counted LBP PSP/Vita/Karting. IP is IP. Toro making a cameo in a unrelated game. Sure, thats exactly the same as Fire Emblem.....

Shifting the blame? So you think the game is mechanically equivalent to Smash? Most people don't even play the more popular characters in these games. Look at Captain Falcon, Fox, or Marth. All of those characters and their franchises are essentially irrelevant outside of Smash at this point, yet they're still played extremely frequently within smash. People constantly complained about Colonel Radec being overused in All-Stars, yet he's one of the least identifiable characters outside of the game. The characters not being popular enough was not the problem. The game just wasn't anywhere near as good as Smash.

Karting wasn't even made by Media Molecule. You might as well be using The Lost Frontier to argue that Jak and Daxter sales fell off significantly.

Please point out where I said it was exactly the same. You were talking about making primarily eastern IP's appeal to the west. I pointed out that Sony took steps to do that with Toro. Never said that including him in a primarily western game was the same as bringing out a western game based entirely around him.

Around the Network

well they didn't support it properly, they should be thankful that the brawl sold more than 1 million with 2 dollars of promotion...