By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro Chose Donkey Kong Over Metroid as Its First Wii U Title

Tagged games:

Makes a lot of sense. After working on a DK game I'm sure that they would want to ride that wave. Also, a DKC game should sell more and be a lot easier to develop.

Given the Wii U's sales, I'd say the decision wasn't as hard to make as he makes it sound.

Around the Network
pokeclaudel said:
TruckOSaurus said:
pokeclaudel said:
Why didn't they just make a 3d Donkey kong game?

The 3DS game is a port of the 2010 Wii game so yes and no.

No I ment a 3d platformer game like Donkey kong 64. 

Because 2D platformers are  more accessible than 3D ones.

AgentZorn said:
Some of you people can't seem to wrap this around your head. DKCR sold more than all of the prime games combined. That's more than enough reason for Nintendo to continue with DK rather than Metroid.

Believe me I wished Retro was working on Metroid but it is something that you are going to have to accept whether you like it or not.

True but with NSMB U released, adn NSMB 3D World coming this holiday season, MEtroid would've definitely appealed to a different audience. More doesn't necessarily mean moore hardware. 

I still love DKC and think it is far superior as a 2D platformer to NSMB. I'm generally excited BUT I'd rather see more. X adn Bayonetta are the only games giving Nintendo fans some hope. Hopefully we'll be seeing a new Zelda game soon and some fresh IP's instead of recycling platformers (which imo is getting ridiculous).

AgentZorn said:
Some of you people can't seem to wrap this around your head. DKCR sold more than all of the prime games combined. That's more than enough reason for Nintendo to continue with DK rather than Metroid.

Believe me I wished Retro was working on Metroid but it is something that you are going to have to accept whether you like it or not.

THIS money talks BS walks

kopstudent89 said:
AgentZorn said:

True but with NSMB U released, adn NSMB 3D World coming this holiday season, MEtroid would've definitely appealed to a different audience. More doesn't necessarily mean moore hardware. 

I still love DKC and think it is far superior as a 2D platformer to NSMB. I'm generally excited BUT I'd rather see more. X adn Bayonetta are the only games giving Nintendo fans some hope. Hopefully we'll be seeing a new Zelda game soon and some fresh IP's instead of recycling platformers (which imo is getting ridiculous).

I'm a Nintendo fan and Donkey Kong gives me hope. I'm as hyped for it as I am for X and Bayo 2, which is to say a lot.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
kopstudent89 said:
AgentZorn said:

I'm a Nintendo fan and Donkey Kong gives me hope. I'm as hyped for it as I am for X and Bayo 2, which is to say a lot.

I'll probably feel different in a few months. We haven't had enough Donkey Kong in the last 15 years anyways :P. Still think 2014 would've been much more suitable especially as people won't want to buy 2-3 platformers this holidays (Sonic as well).

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze! Jeeeeee ..
What can I say, the best game on the Wii U coming this year!

THANK YOU SO MUCH Retro Studio

curl-6 said:
pokeclaudel said:
TruckOSaurus said:
pokeclaudel said:

Donkey Kong Country Returns is many times the game that Donkey Kong 64 was.  As much as I wanted to like that game it just wasn't very good.

Could Retro have done a better job than Rare, maybe, but you can't blame them for sticking with a formula that they know works.

The system needs to sell great so a sequel is not a bad idea, it sold well in the past, so why shouldn't it now? It's how business are done. See it as it first attempt on doing a wiiu hd game, with that experience, they can come up with something really innovative for the new metroid installment, if there is, or a new ip.

I enjoyed the wii game by a lot, great art, difficult levels, and this won't be the exception.

hsrob said:
curl-6 said:
pokeclaudel said:
TruckOSaurus said:
pokeclaudel said:

Donkey Kong Country Returns is many times the game that Donkey Kong 64 was.  As much as I wanted to like that game it just wasn't very good.

Agreed. DK64 felt too much like a chore at times. DKCR, on the other hand, was brilliant through and through.