By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro Chose Donkey Kong Over Metroid as Its First Wii U Title

Tagged games:

Roma said:
KHlover said:

It's been three years since the first one. How long should Nintendo wait between each title? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years?

too soon for Retro to do it yes. Nintendo should let someone ells do DK while Retro makes more advanced games requiring more talent than what a DK game needs

There's an immense amount of talent required to make a 2D platformer that's fresh, challenging, fun and different. That's what they managed to do with DKCR and in order to top that you can't hand off the series to some lesser studio.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Retro is clearly working in another game, but they wanted to do this first because its easy money

They just released a Dk game for 3ds........ Do we really need another one?

KHlover said:
Metroid Prime 4 in 2015 confirmed.

Screw the Prime series. We need a new AAA 2D Metroid. They will have gained a lot of 2D expertise with those DK games, so let them use it to create a compelling 2D Metroid.

As good as the Prime series is, the first game in particular, these games didn't succeed in putting the bar higher than Super Metroid did in 1994.

BossPuma said:

A port. It either means nothing or it exists to promote the new Wii U game.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network

You people are overreacting.

DKCR had amazing production values, great gameplay and ideas. It was a very high quality title. No other developer could do a job as good as Retro's. Not even EAD 4. (NSMBWii)

The are ambitious and are trying to perfect their formula. I commend them for that.

Hynad said:
KHlover said:
Metroid Prime 4 in 2015 confirmed.

Screw the Prime series. We need a new AAA 2D Metroid. They will have gained a lot of 2D expertise with those DK games, so let them use it to create a compelling 2D Metroid.

As good as the Prime series is, the first game in particular, these games didn't succeed in putting the bar higher than Super Metroid did in 1994.

Not sure if this is even possible, but I guess they should try at some point.

Changing up the formula with the first-person perspective turned out fantastically. Avoiding negative comparisions to Super Metroid by being different, while recieving many praises for the similarities. I don't expect that to work much longer, if at all anymore, so yes... 2D please.

WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

F0X said:
BossPuma said:

Actually a different developer handled the 3DS port of DKCR, Nintendo probably commissioned it to help rebuild awareness of the Donkey Kong brand for the new Wii U game later this year without stepping on its toes like they seem to have done with the two New Super Mario Bros games last year or it was done because Nintendo assumed that there was a gap in the 3DS release schedule.

NoirSon said:
F0X said:
BossPuma said:

Actually a different developer handled the 3DS port of DKCR, Nintendo probably commissioned it to help rebuild awareness of the Donkey Kong brand for the new Wii U game later this year without stepping on its toes like they seem to have done with the two New Super Mario Bros games last year or it was done because Nintendo assumed that there was a gap in the 3DS release schedule.

That also makes sense. I know Monster Games was behind the port and I think they did a pretty good job. :)

F0X said:
BossPuma said:

I know but a Metroid game would have been a so much more satisfying announcement than DK since we just got DKCR in 2011( i think) and it just got a rerelease.

The last true Metroid game came out in 2007.