By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Killer Instincts is a Free-2-play Digital-only game with

Galaki said:
MS just can't get a break. They give you a free game and still, you complain.

Well there's plenty of free to play games coming to PS4...besides this game only has 1 character. That's very limiting even for a free to play game.
It IS free to play though which is a plus. If you like it you can buy addional characters.

Around the Network

This is the way Rare and Microsoft honor Rare's "historic IP"?

mibuokami said:
sales2099 said:
lol this hate bandwagon is getting out of hand.

This was a niche title with a small but hardcore fanbase, most of the people clammering for this game still remember playing it in the Snes day as an Arcade coin-op. The Snes and N64 versions were significantly inferior.

I can understand where MS is coming from, they know this game if made would probably not be profitable because the amount of people that would buy this at retail or even as a downloadable game would be pretty small to negligible, so they make it f2p to get access to broader audiences and hopefully convert more of those consumers into sale.

That being said, having just ONE character availible for the 'f2p' is pretty bullshit, there is less content here than a fighting game demo which includes at least 2-4 characters. They could at least add 4+ characters as the initial lineup.

Edit to insert lame joke: then again, it IS the Xbox One, maybe they're just trying to drive the message home :P

doesn't it have many more stages, maybe a full "story" for this free character and so on? where is the content less? yes only one character but the rest sounds more.

It's an interesting strategy, as I personally seldom use most of the characters. I think there should be more base-level characters, though.

Also, I would only support this if you can demo all the other characters first. I don't want to pay for a character only to find out that I hate the way they play.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

killer instinct indeed is a historic IP

maybe a little too historic.I was hoping for jet force gemini.

From an economical point of view maybe a giod decision as most fans have been waiting for so long for this game-they"ll buy every single charackter and everything else that is offered .A single charackter for 2.99 times 30fighters=90.+some special stages for 1.99x 10= 20

Around the Network

That's awesome. As I said in the "rate MS's conference" thread, I don't give a crap about Killer Instinct even though I played the hell out of the SNES game (didn't have much else to play). But a f2p model is a great way to get people into the game. So long as it isn't pay to win.

crissindahouse said:
mibuokami said:
sales2099 said:
lol this hate bandwagon is getting out of hand.

This was a niche title with a small but hardcore fanbase, most of the people clammering for this game still remember playing it in the Snes day as an Arcade coin-op. The Snes and N64 versions were significantly inferior.

I can understand where MS is coming from, they know this game if made would probably not be profitable because the amount of people that would buy this at retail or even as a downloadable game would be pretty small to negligible, so they make it f2p to get access to broader audiences and hopefully convert more of those consumers into sale.

That being said, having just ONE character availible for the 'f2p' is pretty bullshit, there is less content here than a fighting game demo which includes at least 2-4 characters. They could at least add 4+ characters as the initial lineup.

Edit to insert lame joke: then again, it IS the Xbox One, maybe they're just trying to drive the message home :P

doesn't it have many more stages, maybe a full "story" for this free character and so on? where is the content less? yes only one character but the rest sounds more.

No confirmation of the numbers of availible stages or the existence of single player, and frankly very little people will care, its all about the 1v1 action, both online and offline (and offline is where the most fun can be had tbh).

If the overall cost for all unlocks end up cheaper than a retail release then you could just purchase everything and be done with it.

If jago is the only character and your main is Jago, you are laughing.

But as Mr Puggsly said, if you can get all the others for less than £40, then...what's the problem?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

This isn't a racing game. For the sake of fair play, each player needs access to the entire roster. You can't gain matchup knowledge without it. Without that knowledge, you have no chance in competitive play.

SxyxS said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

killer instinct indeed is a historic IP

maybe a little too historic.I was hoping for jet force gemini.

From an economical point of view maybe a giod decision as most fans have been waiting for so long for this game-they"ll buy every single charackter and everything else that is offered .A single charackter for 2.99 times 30fighters=90.+some special stages for 1.99x 10= 20

Hey, I love Killer Instinct. I own the SNES original and Gold (oh, and I love Jet Force Gemini, too).

But this is a strange way to ressurect a classic game from Rare. Digital only? Free-to-play? Seems like an afterthought.

@others: this might not be "pay to win," but it's certainly "pay to enjoy." How can someone truly enjoy a fighting game with only one playable character? Even if the total cost of all characters/costumes/stages/secrets is less than $60, it's still an ugly way to sell a game: piece-by-piece.

Is that what we want from the industry now? Gaming a la carte?