By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS allegedly paying devs and publishers to NOT show PS4 games at E3 2013

MS clearly cut in their budgets. Last time they were throwing money around devs were actually making exclusives for them. Guess some learned the lesson...

Joke aside, if true it would confirm that MS has little to counter PS4 and that the PS4 line-up is going to be overwhelming. Furthermore, it's useless to remove PS4 versions of multiplats because when journalists will write their articles, they will state Xbone/PS4 regardless.

Around the Network
the2real4mafol said:
I hope 3rd parties aren't buying into this tyrant

2 of the 3 games you're currently playing were once exclusives. Metal Gear was even at Nintendo first. You tell me.

papamudd said:
ironmanDX said:
Invest 1 billion into games, open up many studio's in the past gen. They have 20 something ffs... but this is a waste of money? How many more do you want them to have? 15 exclusives also on the X1 in the first year?

MS don't care about games? Lol, You're all blind. This is business people! Not charity.

What I find curious about that 1 billion figure is did that 400 million dollar deal with the NFL to have fantasy football count towards that grand total and how much money did they spend on COD exclusivity, and how much for the "rumored" Titanfall exclusivity? I would think those 3 things would have taking a fairly large chunk out of that pie if MS is counting those as part of that grand total.

The NFL deal is $400,000 over 5 years so no. CoD is a maybe but I doubt they count that as an investment. Making a new game, opening a studio or something similar is what I was thinking. If CoD and Titanfall were counted, how would the X1 still get 15 internally developed titles? It's looking like the Xbox ONE could have 20+ exclusives over the PS4 in the first year alone.

I'm not exactly sure how much each studio cost is for development as that would pertain to development cycle, development costs, development team size... However, I would guess the 400 million is significantly more than 1 studio's cost of operating point. Maybe 100 person studio averaging 85k a year utilizing mostly MS dev kits free of charge so maybe add an extra 500k to be generous for other software/w/e a studio might need to operate that's only around 9 million a year in dev cost. Multiply by say 3 years and 20 first party developers it might eat up 540 million of that billion and I think I'm being fairly generous here as the studio sizes might be smaller and have a lower average salary, and other factors such as development time. I would think the majority of that 1 billion would most likely be going to advertising and third party deals for gaming exclusivity almost to the point that the developers were really only getting closer to say 30% of that total. However, I could be wrong and the majority of that money actually went to graciously paying small 30 member team studios and not towards advertising or research at all.

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Pathetic. It doesn't matter though, they have so much trouble with their console and made so many mistakes already that it will be impossible to recover from this situation.

Around the Network

yea that marcus guy just brought this up on invisible walls but the other guy said they have alot of xbox new game interviews so why would they do this unless there unannounced games were or bad.

disolitude said:

It wouldnt be an option because it just isnt if you want a next gen experience. How is Killzone PS4 going to load a 4GB frame buffer in to RAM 20MB at a time running off a bluray? Textures would appear 30 seconds after the level loads and loading time to gameplay time would be 1:1.

Now there is an option of installing a game fully on to PS4, but then using the disk as "drm", meaning you have to keep it in the PS4 in order to play a game. This is a strong possibility, especially considering the sony patent below.

http://www.techdigest.tv/2013/01/sony_to_block_p.html

To me this is much worse than Xbox1 drm, because you get absolutelu no benefits of cloud storage and gaming (disk swapping, no playing at friends place without disk...) while you still cant sell your game or trade it with friends without Sony DRM allowing you to do so.

If you have to keep the disk in and no install is to take place, how is this whole PS Vita-PS4 game streaming supposed to work? Only when youre at home and your PS4 is on and disk is in the drive? Thats hardly worth it if you ask me...

Considering that the PS3 can do both disk and BR loading/displaying of games - do you not think that the PS4 with a x6 speed BR would be able to do this better/faster, even if the graphics are improved?

You can put some content on HD and leave some content on disk, thats a perfectly reasonable way of going about it, and then stream in from disk. You can throw it all on disk (like many PS3 games do)..

Cloud storage is just that, you save stuff to the cloud... you dont have to throw your whole game online... in fact whats the point? If you are talking about the ability to download games that youve already purchased that are not on Disk, how often is that a benefit... its not really.

I cannot believe someone is bemoaning the fact of having to have a disk in the drive...lol

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

@disolitude: To me this is much worse than Xbox1 drm, because you get absolutelu no benefits of cloud storage and gaming (disk swapping, no playing at friends place without disk...) while you still cant sell your game or trade it with friends without Sony DRM allowing you to do so.

If you have to keep the disk in and no install is to take place, how is this whole PS Vita-PS4 game streaming supposed to work? Only when youre at home and your PS4 is on and disk is in the drive? Thats hardly worth it if you ask me...
--------------------
1. Sony is not enforcing any DRM at all period. X1 is completely doing that. (don't kid yourself they set up the system for just that, all they clarified is that they aren't going to charge you for it beyond your XBL fees)
2. Based on current gen performance your gameplay is not going to be as dramatically affected as you say it would be by running off a disk.
3. the ps4/vita REMOTE PLAY will work as it does with the Wii U, it streams from the console. It's not cross play/cross buy. However, their may be several games that offer that feature.
4. yes a disc based DRM would be much worse than x1's apologetic sharing policy (WILL NOT WORK AT LAUNCH), but Sony said they are not going to use / enforce DRM on their games. Will they give that tech to 3rd parties to use? maybe, but then again maybe not.

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

ironmanDX said:

The NFL deal is $400,000 over 5 years so no. CoD is a maybe but I doubt they count that as an investment. Making a new game, opening a studio or something similar is what I was thinking. If CoD and Titanfall were counted, how would the X1 still get 15 internally developed titles? It's looking like the Xbox ONE could have 20+ exclusives over the PS4 in the first year alone.

I wouldnt have thought the NFL deal is included in their $1billion.

As far as AA-AAA games are concerned you are probably looking at $15-50 million per game. So that sounds like a lot of games if you were just to get your own studios to make some games... thats alot of games. But exclusivity is extremely expensive, so the $1 billion will be cut down significantly depending on how much exclusive content they go for... and i think that is key.

GTA DLC exclusivity was $75million. So MS could easily speend $200-450 million on there deals (its always higher at the start of the gen)

So it wouldnt surprise me this is why Sony sold some buildings so they could at least get some cash in to spend.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

JusSayian said:

Oh man if you only knew. MS brick over a million consoles for piracy alone in 2009.

It was effective wasnt it?