By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To me, the only major con is the 24-Hour connection

sales2099 said:

I have seen the news, and even I am not happy about it on the whole. It is easy to continue the renewed anti-consumer bandwagan (don't blame you). I however looked over the major points and to me anyway, the only dealbreaker, truly, is the once-every-24-hour internet connection. But first, a quick summary of the other points:

- Kinect must be plugged in, but you have complete control over it via privacy settings.

- MS's policy on used games are now the exact same stance as Sony: leave it up to publishers. Bad news sure, but at least it's cancelled out via Sony.

- Lending polocies, while restrictive, are better then that of Steam and IOS, two mega popular services.

That just leaves the daily online connection, which I am opposed to greatly. I myself, as well as all of you posters, in fact I think its safe to say most of all NA/UK gamer posters on all the gaming internet have a stable enough connection to deal with this.

But this con can hurt MS's sales internationally. South America, Eastern Europe, Asia, and other small markets. I hope MS can make exceptions for countries that just don't have the internet infrastructure or else sales will be seriously hampered. But even with us in NA and UK, there will be accidents. Hacks WILL be done, LIVE servers will have hiccups, your internet provider may have a off-day......these will cause global gaming outages, a SIm City disaster X1000, something MS shouldn't have to deal with. Then there is the thing about servicemen, and others who routinely travel....so many unique circumstances that will be inconvienenced with this.

This IMO, is the main deal breaker. Games are great, but I feel that once this issue is nixed, the other cons will fall into place.

NO, NO AND NO.

This is still unacceptable that you can't use the game you BOUGHT and OWN without being "checked" and having the permission from MS. Stop trying to fùcking legitimatizing it.

Around the Network

Why?

Why is a the need for your Xbox One to phone home every 24 hours a big issue?

Is your Xbox 360 not currently connected up to the Internet?  Is your network going to slow down because of a single 10K text file being transfered up to Microsoft?  For the former, I suspect it's connected.  The latter, I suspect you won't even notice it.

Anyone who leaves their PCs on 24/7 already deals with their computers doing something at night, when they're not using it.  In fact, I have mine check for Windows Updates and download a new anti-virus update and run a scan.  That way, I don't have to be inconvenienced by it when I'm actually trying to use my computer.

Not to mention, your Xbox One isn't just verifying and authenticating your license situation.  It is checking for updates, downloading them, and installing them.  It's also updating the Xbox One programming guide.  Granted, the latter isn't an important feature if you don't use it, but certainly if you do it is.

It's also likely not going to do it unless the console isn't being used or used when network performance is a priority to your games or other services.  So, the likelihood of you even knowing it happened or when, would be unlikely.

Military personnel and people without Internet aside, I don't see the connectivity requirements of the Xbox One a big deal.  For people in the military and people without Internet I really think Microsoft needs to work out a compromise.  Granted, for those with a phone and data service plans, there is the possibility of tethering.  I won't dismiss that it is frustrating that Microsoft didn't have a game plan for this, but as for someone like yourself who is connected to the Internet, communicating on a forum routinely during the day, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding why an Xbox One connecting to the internet once every 24 hours is a big issue for you.

"Why is a the need for your Xbox One to phone home every 24 hours a big issue? "

Because if i dont obey microsoft they will turn it off forever what i bought with my money, so i MUST obey(??).  that is why poeple are angry about, the fact that MS is saying "Sure grab a browny they are cheap, oh but ill grab your testicles while you eat it, just make sure you eat it how i tell you to or ill have to squeeze".

" Is your network going to slow down because of a single 10K text file being transfered up to Microsoft?"

You currently have no idea of knowing what they are going to tranfering, you are guessing is 10k text file, in any case lets say a hurricane comes and im out of internet, what should i do, stick to my 360?????? what???  isnt this the ONE thing i will need for entertaiment???? no i need the one and another one, FAIL! so i cant play because i did not OBEY????????

"Anyone who leaves their PCs on 24/7 already deals with their computers doing something at night, when they're not using it.  In fact, I have mine check for Windows Updates and download a new anti-virus update and run a scan.  That way, I don't have to be inconvenienced by it when I'm actually trying to use my computer."

This here is evidence that MS wants you to obey becuase even the computer you have describe with valid reasons to be online, can work offline, i have that choice. With Xbone i dont.

"Not to mention, your Xbox One isn't just verifying and authenticating your license situation."

yes, but this is the only reason i get blocked from using MY CONSOLE THAT I PAID FOR.

"It's also likely not going to do it unless the console isn't being used or used when network performance is a priority to your games or other services.  So, the likelihood of you even knowing it happened or when, would be unlikely."

MS said it need 1.5 MB for optimal performance, many people will need to ask eveyone in the house to go off line becuase they are going to play on the xone.

At the end, like i said, all this would make sense to endure if the xbone was the only option but is not, so i dont understand why this is even been considered, is like going to a car dealer that sells you the car and also punches you in the face, why in the world would i buy from him??????

Note that i really dont have a choice, since my country is not supported by xbone and the console wont work here, a first ever, this is historical event, this is a small country sure but never before had a console not work here becuase of that.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

zuvuyeay said:
Ajescent said:
Mine is Kinect is always watching.

i don't know if they can give kinect a nice sultry female voice who can tell me off and ask for my credit card number,i'm pretty interested just another step to a virtual wife,soon have a hologram 

Admit it, you just want Cortana.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Adinnieken said:

Why?

Why is a the need for your Xbox One to phone home every 24 hours a big issue?

Is your Xbox 360 not currently connected up to the Internet?  Is your network going to slow down because of a single 10K text file being transfered up to Microsoft?  For the former, I suspect it's connected.  The latter, I suspect you won't even notice it.

Anyone who leaves their PCs on 24/7 already deals with their computers doing something at night, when they're not using it.  In fact, I have mine check for Windows Updates and download a new anti-virus update and run a scan.  That way, I don't have to be inconvenienced by it when I'm actually trying to use my computer.

Not to mention, your Xbox One isn't just verifying and authenticating your license situation.  It is checking for updates, downloading them, and installing them.  It's also updating the Xbox One programming guide.  Granted, the latter isn't an important feature if you don't use it, but certainly if you do it is.

It's also likely not going to do it unless the console isn't being used or used when network performance is a priority to your games or other services.  So, the likelihood of you even knowing it happened or when, would be unlikely.

Military personnel and people without Internet aside, I don't see the connectivity requirements of the Xbox One a big deal.  For people in the military and people without Internet I really think Microsoft needs to work out a compromise.  Granted, for those with a phone and data service plans, there is the possibility of tethering.  I won't dismiss that it is frustrating that Microsoft didn't have a game plan for this, but as for someone like yourself who is connected to the Internet, communicating on a forum routinely during the day, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding why an Xbox One connecting to the internet once every 24 hours is a big issue for you.

Even if it had zero downsides, what benefits does it bring?  All the things you mentioned are done on other services without the online check being mandatory.  What advantage is there to the consumer in making it required?

Then of course there are the actual downsides.  What will happen in 20 years?  What if you get banned?  What if Live goes down?  What if you don't have a stable connection?  Even if these aren't exactly big issues for most people, how can you justify it from the consumer perspective?

foodfather said:
Don't care about always online. 48 million xbox live gamers are always online and they should have no reason not to again. Its used games thats the iddue.

There are 48 million Xbox Live gamers who buy their games via word of mouth. This gen...a good amount aren't sticking around. Some are going PC and some a lot seem to be going PS4. They only cared about price and multiplats. The sales of exclusives has proven this.

Around the Network

Im not sure why people are still having trouble wrapping their heads around the once every 24 hours check. This allows you to have digitally licensed games that you can access anywhere(with internet and a xbone) and share with the 10 "family" on your friends list until you sell your license back to the authorized resellers. Without the 24 hour check there would be no used games and people would complain in the same large numbers(it would essentially be a DD console otherwise). MS said they want a balance between gamers, publishers, retailers and resellers and they are doing it no matter haw badly (I feel) it is in the favor of publishers.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

CDiablo said:
Im not sure why people are still having trouble wrapping their heads around the once every 24 hours check. This allows you to have digitally licensed games that you can access anywhere(with internet and a xbone) and share with the 10 "family" on your friends list until you sell your license back to the authorized resellers. Without the 24 hour check there would be no used games and people would complain in the same large numbers(it would essentially be a DD console otherwise). MS said they want a balance between gamers, publishers, retailers and resellers and they are doing it no matter haw badly (I feel) it is in the favor of publishers.

Same thing with Steam. I can't play my Steam games without internet. Its horribly restrictive. My internet cut off because of a storm for two days. I couldn't play anything I bought on steam without the system going online and updating. Its restrictive and annoying.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Same thing with Steam. I can't play my Steam games without internet. Its horribly restrictive. My internet cut off because of a storm for two days. I couldn't play anything I bought on steam without the system going online and updating. Its restrictive and annoying.

With steam you can play most games offline if you set it to offline mode. Of course there is no resale option and no game sharing for friends. Both suck quite a bit IMO, but people love Steam and hate XBone.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

CDiablo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

With steam you can play most games offline if you set it to offline mode. Of course there is no resale option and no game sharing for friends. Both suck quite a bit IMO, but people love Steam and hate XBone.

Thanks for the info.

Xbone. lol now i get it.