By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To me, the only major con is the 24-Hour connection

IT HAS WAY MORE CONS ESPECIALLY BEING ABLE TO PLAY FINAL FANTASY AND KINGDOM HEARTS THTS A SHOT TO FACES!

Around the Network

This is just further evidence that Sony's and Microsoft's targeted demographics are going to be even more different next generation. While Sony has made an effort to see relevance in every part of the world, Microsoft focuses on the developed nations. Microsoft's strategy to focus on wealthier nations appears to be concentrated to a higher extreme next generation.

I dont understand how people are still be considering the xbone, is less powerful than ps4, more expensive and is restrictive, then there is the security issues, and the forced kinect. Why would anyone want that? the only reason i find for buying one is emotional attachment to the brand.

@op some of your arguments are unrealistic, like the "DRM will be left to the publisher", MS is a publisher, all their games (Halo, GeoW, Fable, Forza..) will have DRM, or it would not make any sense for them to build the infrastructure if they are not going to set the example. So their biggest games will have DRM.

About the security part, trusting that they will respect your privacy out of good will is naive, MS has been guilty of monopoly practices several times, they dont play fair, that is a historical fact.

And the thing about needing to be connected to harness the power of the cloud, the cloud are a group of virtual machines hosted remotely, you can send then task to gather statistics ver the network, sync players, and stream some assets and other things, but you cant use it to help the physics engine or the graphics cards those things move Gigabytes per second, is all a PR twist. and anyway what the xone can actually do can be done by the ps4 too, in fact by any device that can access the internet, yet you dont see IOS games looking like crisys 3.

So why would is the xbone a viable choice??? i seriously dont get it

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

I like my rights as a gamer and sometimes a collector being threatened by a company that has zero respect for the market deciding whether disc based products are being phased or not. We say when an primary gets phased out for an alternative, not MS.MS tried to force our hand and they still see us as the "little people". They might be right, but we're still the early adopters. Its not just the online connectivity, they seriously did not think about the amount of countries that would have problems with this, because MS demands online for their games at all times. The Xbox 360 is virtually useless without it and the single player is severely lacking. Next gen this is looking like it will be mended.

This but also the second hand games thing. What if you want something but it's no longer available brand new and your internet isn't fast enough to download games which will likely be 15gb and up, next gen? But I do want to know why they insist in us checking in on their system once a day

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
radha said:
I dont understand how people are still be considering the xbone, is less powerful than ps4, more expensive and is restrictive, then there is the security issues, and the forced kinect. Why would anyone want that? the only reason i find for buying one is emotional attachment to the brand.

@op some of your arguments are unrealistic, like the "DRM will be left to the publisher", MS is a publisher, all their games (Halo, GeoW, Fable, Forza..) will have DRM, or it would not make any sense for them to build the infrastructure if they are not going to set the example. So their biggest games will have DRM.

About the security part, trusting that they will respect your privacy out of good will is naive, MS has been guilty of monopoly practices several times, they dont play fair, that is a historical fact.

And the thing about needing to be connected to harness the power of the cloud, the cloud are a group of virtual machines hosted remotely, you can send then task to gather statistics ver the network, sync players, and stream some assets and other things, but you cant use it to help the physics engine or the graphics cards those things move Gigabytes per second, is all a PR twist. and anyway what the xone can actually do can be done by the ps4 too, in fact by any device that can access the internet, yet you dont see IOS games looking like crisys 3.

So why would is the xbone a viable choice??? i seriously dont get it

Yep, MS saying they are leaving DRM up to the publisher is bullshit. They back peddled and used Sonys PR because Sony told the truth that they werent going to have DRM but publishers would have to fess up if they want it.EA is mumbling to themselves about it, so we know now they dont like that negative spotlight on themselves. They need to make games with more utility if they want full price for a game.

Don't care about always online. 48 million xbox live gamers are always online and they should have no reason not to again. Its used games thats the iddue.

sales2099 said:

I have seen the news, and even I am not happy about it on the whole. It is easy to continue the renewed anti-consumer bandwagan (don't blame you). I however looked over the major points and to me anyway, the only dealbreaker, truly, is the once-every-24-hour internet connection. But first, a quick summary of the other points:

- Kinect must be plugged in, but you have complete control over it via privacy settings.

- MS's policy on used games are now the exact same stance as Sony: leave it up to publishers. Bad news sure, but at least it's cancelled out via Sony.

- Lending polocies, while restrictive, are better then that of Steam and IOS, two mega popular services.

That just leaves the daily online connection, which I am opposed to greatly. I myself, as well as all of you posters, in fact I think its safe to say most of all NA/UK gamer posters on all the gaming internet have a stable enough connection to deal with this.

But this con can hurt MS's sales internationally. South America, Eastern Europe, Asia, and other small markets. I hope MS can make exceptions for countries that just don't have the internet infrastructure or else sales will be seriously hampered. But even with us in NA and UK, there will be accidents. Hacks WILL be done, LIVE servers will have hiccups, your internet provider may have a off-day......these will cause global gaming outages, a SIm City disaster X1000, something MS shouldn't have to deal with. Then there is the thing about servicemen, and others who routinely travel....so many unique circumstances that will be inconvienenced with this.

This IMO, is the main deal breaker. Games are great, but I feel that once this issue is nixed, the other cons will fall into place.

Why?

Why is a the need for your Xbox One to phone home every 24 hours a big issue?

Is your Xbox 360 not currently connected up to the Internet?  Is your network going to slow down because of a single 10K text file being transfered up to Microsoft?  For the former, I suspect it's connected.  The latter, I suspect you won't even notice it.

Anyone who leaves their PCs on 24/7 already deals with their computers doing something at night, when they're not using it.  In fact, I have mine check for Windows Updates and download a new anti-virus update and run a scan.  That way, I don't have to be inconvenienced by it when I'm actually trying to use my computer.

Not to mention, your Xbox One isn't just verifying and authenticating your license situation.  It is checking for updates, downloading them, and installing them.  It's also updating the Xbox One programming guide.  Granted, the latter isn't an important feature if you don't use it, but certainly if you do it is.

It's also likely not going to do it unless the console isn't being used or used when network performance is a priority to your games or other services.  So, the likelihood of you even knowing it happened or when, would be unlikely.

Military personnel and people without Internet aside, I don't see the connectivity requirements of the Xbox One a big deal.  For people in the military and people without Internet I really think Microsoft needs to work out a compromise.  Granted, for those with a phone and data service plans, there is the possibility of tethering.  I won't dismiss that it is frustrating that Microsoft didn't have a game plan for this, but as for someone like yourself who is connected to the Internet, communicating on a forum routinely during the day, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding why an Xbox One connecting to the internet once every 24 hours is a big issue for you.

Ajescent said:
Mine is Kinect is always watching.

i don't know if they can give kinect a nice sultry female voice who can tell me off and ask for my credit card number,i'm pretty interested just another step to a virtual wife,soon have a hologram 

Above & Beyond

Adinnieken said:
sales2099 said:

Why?

Why is a the need for your Xbox One to phone home every 24 hours a big issue?

Is your Xbox 360 not currently connected up to the Internet?  Is your network going to slow down because of a single 10K text file being transfered up to Microsoft?  For the former, I suspect it's connected.  The latter, I suspect you won't even notice it.

Anyone who leaves their PCs on 24/7 already deals with their computers doing something at night, when they're not using it.  In fact, I have mine check for Windows Updates and download a new anti-virus update and run a scan.  That way, I don't have to be inconvenienced by it when I'm actually trying to use my computer.

Not to mention, your Xbox One isn't just verifying and authenticating your license situation.  It is checking for updates, downloading them, and installing them.  It's also updating the Xbox One programming guide.  Granted, the latter isn't an important feature if you don't use it, but certainly if you do it is.

It's also likely not going to do it unless the console isn't being used or used when network performance is a priority to your games or other services.  So, the likelihood of you even knowing it happened or when, would be unlikely.

Military personnel and people without Internet aside, I don't see the connectivity requirements of the Xbox One a big deal.  For people in the military and people without Internet I really think Microsoft needs to work out a compromise.  Granted, for those with a phone and data service plans, there is the possibility of tethering.  I won't dismiss that it is frustrating that Microsoft didn't have a game plan for this, but as for someone like yourself who is connected to the Internet, communicating on a forum routinely during the day, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding why an Xbox One connecting to the internet once every 24 hours is a big issue for you.

Well I actually use my 360 off-line. I don't have gold anyway and the UI is a lot faster without it downloading and displaying ads. It looks a bit bare (apparently xbla game screens come from the cloud too) with empty spaces everywhere but browsing and starting games is super fast.

I don't like leaving stuff on all the time either. Suspend mode is nice though.
Plus I rather be in control of what gets downloaded and updated with the stupid bandwidth cap imposed by my isp. I have ps+ but am not using any of the automatic updates or cloud save features.