By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To me, the only major con is the 24-Hour connection

Ajescent said:
Mine is Kinect is always watching.

lol it isnt, that was the one piece of good news

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

I think the issue here is that Sony and MS are seen as the "adult" consoles so lending/borrowing isn't something they think their consumers do MS in the past few years has expanded into making games for everyone but the X1 seems to be geared more toward the 24plus crowd.while Sony has started to make less and less and focus on the adult market You will find far less casual games on PS3 than you will PS2. It also seems to focus on the 24 years or older crowd. This could hurt both companies in the long run as part of the reason people end up liking one company over another is they grew up on that companies games. In the 60's and 70s the movie industry forgot an entire generation and in the process let Television steal a whole generation from theaters.
This could actually be good for Nintendo as a whole forgotten group will be able to get what they cant afford on other consoles. They'll be able to borrow games and there are no used game fees. If enough of them do, Publishers will follow.
Most of my friends PC game. we don't lend each other games. If I want a game I buy it. I think this will impact young people the most. Those who rely on parents for income and cant really buy what they want or young people with jobs but other things to pay for.
Seriously as a 38 year old gamer, I really don't see anything so wrong with what either is offer. Its a lot like the PC to me. My internet has never gone out. Never been cut off. Similar DRM to PC only it allows for trading, selling etc.
I think that in most cases these "barriers" only apply to young people so they will be the most impacted by them.

Rafux said:
sales2099 said:

I have seen the news, and even I am not happy about it on the whole. It is easy to continue the renewed anti-consumer bandwagan (don't blame you). I however looked over the major points and to me anyway, the only dealbreaker, truly, is the once-every-24-hour internet connection. But first, a quick summary of the other points:

- Kinect must be plugged in, but you have complete control over it via privacy settings.

- MS's policy on used games are now the exact same stance as Sony: leave it up to publishers. Bad news sure, but at least it's cancelled out via Sony.

- Lending polocies, while restrictive, are better then that of Steam and IOS, two mega popular services.

That just leaves the daily online connection, which I am opposed to greatly. I myself, as well as all of you posters, in fact I think its safe to say most of all NA/UK gamer posters on all the gaming internet have a stable enough connection to deal with this.

But this con can hurt MS's sales internationally. South America, Eastern Europe, Asia, and other small markets. I hope MS can make exceptions for countries that just don't have the internet infrastructure or else sales will be seriously hampered. But even with us in NA and UK, there will be accidents. Hacks WILL be done, LIVE servers will have hiccups, your internet provider may have a off-day......these will cause global gaming outages, a SIm City disaster X1000, something MS shouldn't have to deal with. Then there is the thing about servicemen, and others who routinely travel....so many unique circumstances that will be inconvienenced with this.

This IMO, is the main deal breaker. Games are great, but I feel that once this issue is nixed, the other cons will fall into place.

"Lending polocies, while restrictive, are better then that of Steam and IOS, two mega popular services."

Digital is not the same as retailer (physical media), Steam is a free service, Steam sales, I know there are Steam retail games but in PC you have other options to buy retail games.

"MS's policy on used games are now the exact same stance as Sony: leave it up to publishers. Bad news sure, but at least it's cancelled out via Sony."

Sony doesn't have an already working and publicly confirmed system to block used games there is some patent but nothing official yet, PS4 can be offline all the time, Sony's stance is the same as with the PS3: Up to the publishers.

IT IS NOT CANCELLED OUT, if Sony does something similar it doesn't make it tolerable for X1 it would be just as bad, my advice is just don't support those consoles buy a Wii U.

"Kinect must be plugged in, but you have complete control over it via privacy settings."

Kinect nevers shuts downs its just "waiting", its so creepy and unnecesary, why can't the x1 work with just the controller if we choose to do so? Creepy.

The kinect comment is just venturing into paranoia territory. Its been confirmed that you control kinect, not the other way around.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Rafux said:
sales2099 said:

I have seen the news, and even I am not happy about it on the whole. It is easy to continue the renewed anti-consumer bandwagan (don't blame you). I however looked over the major points and to me anyway, the only dealbreaker, truly, is the once-every-24-hour internet connection. But first, a quick summary of the other points:

- Kinect must be plugged in, but you have complete control over it via privacy settings.

- MS's policy on used games are now the exact same stance as Sony: leave it up to publishers. Bad news sure, but at least it's cancelled out via Sony.

- Lending polocies, while restrictive, are better then that of Steam and IOS, two mega popular services.

That just leaves the daily online connection, which I am opposed to greatly. I myself, as well as all of you posters, in fact I think its safe to say most of all NA/UK gamer posters on all the gaming internet have a stable enough connection to deal with this.

But this con can hurt MS's sales internationally. South America, Eastern Europe, Asia, and other small markets. I hope MS can make exceptions for countries that just don't have the internet infrastructure or else sales will be seriously hampered. But even with us in NA and UK, there will be accidents. Hacks WILL be done, LIVE servers will have hiccups, your internet provider may have a off-day......these will cause global gaming outages, a SIm City disaster X1000, something MS shouldn't have to deal with. Then there is the thing about servicemen, and others who routinely travel....so many unique circumstances that will be inconvienenced with this.

This IMO, is the main deal breaker. Games are great, but I feel that once this issue is nixed, the other cons will fall into place.

"Lending polocies, while restrictive, are better then that of Steam and IOS, two mega popular services."

Digital is not the same as retailer (physical media), Steam is a free service, Steam sales, I know there are Steam retail games but in PC you have other options to buy retail games.

"MS's policy on used games are now the exact same stance as Sony: leave it up to publishers. Bad news sure, but at least it's cancelled out via Sony."

Sony doesn't have an already working and publicly confirmed system to block used games there is some patent but nothing official yet, PS4 can be offline all the time, Sony's stance is the same as with the PS3: Up to the publishers.

IT IS NOT CANCELLED OUT, if Sony does something similar it doesn't make it tolerable for X1 it would be just as bad, my advice is just don't support those consoles buy a Wii U.

"Kinect must be plugged in, but you have complete control over it via privacy settings."

Kinect nevers shuts downs its just "waiting", its so creepy and unnecesary, why can't the x1 work with just the controller if we choose to do so? Creepy.

How can an American company do this? Wouldn't be there legal problems? I mean, it's clearly a violation of the U.S. constitutional rights.

Sorry for bad English.

sales2099 said:
Ajescent said:
Mine is Kinect is always watching.

lol it isnt, that was the one piece of good news

I know they have altered it, but I'm still not convinced.

The 24hr thing...not too sure how I feel about it. Don't like it but would that be enough for me to say no to the console ( I mean I am saying no but on its own, that's not enough)

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network
thranx said:
Rafux said:
sales2099 said:

Kinect privacy

- Choose what Kinect can see and hear
- You will determine how responsive and personalized your Xbox One is to you and your family during setup
- Key options include automatic or manual sign in, privacy settings, and clear notifications about how data is used
- When Xbox One is on and you’re simply having a conversation in your living room, your conversation is not being recorded or uploaded
- Control when Kinect sensing is On, Off or Paused
- If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect
- To turn off your Xbox One, just say “Xbox Off”
- When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command — “Xbox On,” and you can even turn that feature off too
- Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so you’ll need to turn it back on for these experiences
- Control personal data
- You can play games or enjoy applications that use data, such as videos, photos, facial expressions, heart rate and more, but this data will not leave your Xbox One without your explicit permission

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=161670&page=1

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/privacy

Then why can't I unplug it? What if the NSA want that data just like they demanded from Verizon? What if it get hacked?

The console should be able to work without kinect being attached, MS should give that option.

Rafux said:
thranx said:

Kinect privacy

- Choose what Kinect can see and hear
- You will determine how responsive and personalized your Xbox One is to you and your family during setup
- Key options include automatic or manual sign in, privacy settings, and clear notifications about how data is used
- When Xbox One is on and you’re simply having a conversation in your living room, your conversation is not being recorded or uploaded
- Control when Kinect sensing is On, Off or Paused
- If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect
- To turn off your Xbox One, just say “Xbox Off”
- When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command — “Xbox On,” and you can even turn that feature off too
- Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so you’ll need to turn it back on for these experiences
- Control personal data
- You can play games or enjoy applications that use data, such as videos, photos, facial expressions, heart rate and more, but this data will not leave your Xbox One without your explicit permission

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=161670&page=1

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/privacy

Then why can't I unplug it? What if the NSA want that data just like they demanded from Verizon? What if it get hacked?

The console should be able to work without kinect being attached, MS should give that option.

Who cares if its plugged in. You can control what it does and sees. This sounds like you just bought into a tin foil sale at your local costco

Its not so bad to use it for the voice commands/navigation at the very least. Its actually convienent.

The required checking in online every 24 hours is the one thing that I really don't understand. It doesn't personally effect me but there are going to be quite a few people that this negatively effects (although to be fair, these type of people were never the target audience anyways...still sucks for them though). However, being able to connect the console to your phone carrier greatly decreases the negativity of this because you really have to live in the boondocks to not get any service and if it really was just a ping to the networks that was needed then you could have the most basic cell phone service and still be completely fine.

With that said, unless they implement this in a really easy way, there will be thousands that won't get The One due to the unneeded complexity of it all.

sales2099 said:
Rafux said:
sales2099 said:

The kinect comment is just venturing into paranoia territory. Its been confirmed that you control kinect, not the other way around.

Verizon Phone Records Secretly Collected by Feds

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/verizon-phone-records-secretly-collected-feds-report/story?id=19337223

"The Obama administration has been quietly collecting millions of telephone records from U.S. Verizon customers under a top-secret court order first obtained in late April."

"Verizon has been required to provide to the National Security Agency on an "ongoing, daily basis" information on all phone calls made through its systems."
----------------------------------

So what if I want to relax and smoke some of the sacred herb while playing some games? Kinect is always plugged, always watching and listening, its just too creepy.

Rafux said:
sales2099 said:

Verizon Phone Records Secretly Collected by Feds

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/verizon-phone-records-secretly-collected-feds-report/story?id=19337223

"The Obama administration has been quietly collecting millions of telephone records from U.S. Verizon customers under a top-secret court order first obtained in late April."

"Verizon has been required to provide to the National Security Agency on an "ongoing, daily basis" information on all phone calls made through its systems."
----------------------------------

So what if I want to relax and smoke some of the sacred herb while playing some games? Kinect is always plugged, always watching and listening, its just too creepy.

You know this news pertains to listening onto potential terrorists.......not petty municipal crimes.

Your still acting all tin-foily. The government doesn't bother with small fish and the municipal cops will NEVER get permission to bust some kids smoking weed in front of their Xbox. Gimme a break.

Again, it is NOT always watching, you can turn it off, despite being plugged. It will only "listen" to the words "Xbox On". Thats it.