By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To me, the only major con is the 24-Hour connection

i dont think well have a problem with the live servers going down unexpectedly since they have only gone down once due to to many people.

i think the reason they are doing the check in is the same reason they have kinect in every box. if they developers know that every x1 is online they will be more willing to use the cloud stuff ms keeps talking about, but if they knew a good amount of x1s were offline where the cloud is useless then they probably wouldn't use the stuff.

i also believe that the time will be extended to at least 72 hrs to maybe a week

Around the Network

I think we may see a "requires online connection" console in the future, I think now is not the time for one and I believe the xbone will suffer for it.

Checking in once every 24 hours allows for features like selling/trading digital purchases and gifting digital purchases, there are HUGE markets that don't have a stable enough internet connections to really be ok with such devices. Tethering to a mobile phone isn't all that easy either (especially for iPhone users).

I think the concept eventually (like maybe another decade or so) might be easier to swallow, but, at this moment, I think it's a huge mistake.

Mine is Kinect is always watching.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Azerth said:
i dont think well have a problem with the live servers going down unexpectedly since they have only gone down once due to to many people.

i think the reason they are doing the check in is the same reason they have kinect in every box. if they developers know that every x1 is online they will be more willing to use the cloud stuff ms keeps talking about, but if they knew a good amount of x1s were offline where the cloud is useless then they probably wouldn't use the stuff.

i also believe that the time will be extended to at least 72 hrs to maybe a week

I honestly don't think they'll extend it beyond 24 hours and that's for your home console only. If you're playing from another console on your account, it's once an hour. Why do I not think they'll extend it? Because if they do, that means I can unplug my console from the internet, take my game to sell (or give to a friend), the game becomes "unassociated" with my account, but I can go back and keep playing the game until the next check in. The number of games that can be beaten to completition in 3 days of dedicated gaming is a lot larger than the number of games with 1 day.

Main issues for me:

kinect - i dont want to have to buy it.
used games - can only be sold the first time, and you aswell as the publisher will get a minimal part of the revenue you used to have, making it pointless.
microsoft - the support for core gamers will go away as soon as microsoft sold enough consoles.
xbox live - still requires a fee to play online while every other platform in the market doesnt.

Voiding the right to our property - Its the one i cant tolerate. They are trying to apropriate themselves of something that isnt theirs. Its a robbery atempt and i will never support any system that does that. If Sony were to do the same, i would not get the PS4 aswell.

Around the Network
EncodedNybble said:
Azerth said:

I honestly don't think they'll extend it beyond 24 hours and that's for your home console only. If you're playing from another console on your account, it's once an hour. Why do I not think they'll extend it? Because if they do, that means I can unplug my console from the internet, take my game to sell (or give to a friend), the game becomes "unassociated" with my account, but I can go back and keep playing the game until the next check in. The number of games that can be beaten to completition in 3 days of dedicated gaming is a lot larger than the number of games with 1 day.

i believe thats becasue the games are on the cloud no trying to defend but thats what there going with  it should be longer i agree.   yeah you could beat the single player part but the mulit will not be there, and i dont think it would be that big of a deal since most people would probably sell the games anyways maybe a couple weeks later but its still going to be traded in.  and why would you want to rush through a whole bunch of games just to save a couple bucks?

There is no confirmation that this is the same used game policy as Sony. With X1 you can only give a game once, this may apply to used game retail stores, meaning if you buy a used game you can not resell it/give it to anyone. We will have to wait even longer until we get the entire story from MS. Hopefully Sony comes out with a clear statement, one that basically says it is the same thing as this gen, just that some publishers *cough* EA *cough* will restrict used games sales through their origin client.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Panama said:
sales2099 said:
Panama said:
Allow for me to play my games offline for as long as I want and I'll be fine with the XBone. Playing mostly on PC, the whole used games and borrowing games debacle doesn't bother me, but It's obvious to see why it'd be an issue. I tend to throw quite a few parties where mates will bring over some multiplayer console games, mainly fighting games.

Think that as long as you are on eachothers friend lists that stuff is A-ok.

From what i read, it allows for you to do that once.

If your friends are letting you borrow the games after the parties, then yes, you are right, you won't be able to do that.  But if your friends are bringing them over for the party, and then taking them home with them when they leave, that is no problem.  Everyone has access to all their own games from anyone's Xbox One at any time.

Actually, your friends wouldn't even need to bring the games to your house.  Once they sign in on your Xbox One, they can access their games via the digital copy stored in the cloud.

sales2099 said:

I have seen the news, and even I am not happy about it on the whole. It is easy to continue the renewed anti-consumer bandwagan (don't blame you). I however looked over the major points and to me anyway, the only dealbreaker, truly, is the once-every-24-hour internet connection. But first, a quick summary of the other points:

- Kinect must be plugged in, but you have complete control over it via privacy settings.

- MS's policy on used games are now the exact same stance as Sony: leave it up to publishers. Bad news sure, but at least it's cancelled out via Sony.

- Lending polocies, while restrictive, are better then that of Steam and IOS, two mega popular services.

That just leaves the daily online connection, which I am opposed to greatly. I myself, as well as all of you posters, in fact I think its safe to say most of all NA/UK gamer posters on all the gaming internet have a stable enough connection to deal with this.

But this con can hurt MS's sales internationally. South America, Eastern Europe, Asia, and other small markets. I hope MS can make exceptions for countries that just don't have the internet infrastructure or else sales will be seriously hampered. But even with us in NA and UK, there will be accidents. Hacks WILL be done, LIVE servers will have hiccups, your internet provider may have a off-day......these will cause global gaming outages, a SIm City disaster X1000, something MS shouldn't have to deal with. Then there is the thing about servicemen, and others who routinely travel....so many unique circumstances that will be inconvienenced with this.

This IMO, is the main deal breaker. Games are great, but I feel that once this issue is nixed, the other cons will fall into place.

"Lending polocies, while restrictive, are better then that of Steam and IOS, two mega popular services."

Digital is not the same as retailer (physical media), Steam is a free service, Steam sales, I know there are Steam retail games but in PC you have other options to buy retail games.

"MS's policy on used games are now the exact same stance as Sony: leave it up to publishers. Bad news sure, but at least it's cancelled out via Sony."

Sony doesn't have an already working and publicly confirmed system to block used games there is some patent but nothing official yet, PS4 can be offline all the time, Sony's stance is the same as with the PS3: Up to the publishers.

IT IS NOT CANCELLED OUT, if Sony does something similar it doesn't make it tolerable for X1 it would be just as bad, my advice is just don't support those consoles buy a Wii U.

"Kinect must be plugged in, but you have complete control over it via privacy settings."

Kinect nevers shuts downs its just "waiting", its so creepy and unnecesary, why can't the x1 work with just the controller if we choose to do so? Creepy.

Rafux said:
sales2099 said:

I have seen the news, and even I am not happy about it on the whole. It is easy to continue the renewed anti-consumer bandwagan (don't blame you). I however looked over the major points and to me anyway, the only dealbreaker, truly, is the once-every-24-hour internet connection. But first, a quick summary of the other points:

- Kinect must be plugged in, but you have complete control over it via privacy settings.

- MS's policy on used games are now the exact same stance as Sony: leave it up to publishers. Bad news sure, but at least it's cancelled out via Sony.

- Lending polocies, while restrictive, are better then that of Steam and IOS, two mega popular services.

That just leaves the daily online connection, which I am opposed to greatly. I myself, as well as all of you posters, in fact I think its safe to say most of all NA/UK gamer posters on all the gaming internet have a stable enough connection to deal with this.

But this con can hurt MS's sales internationally. South America, Eastern Europe, Asia, and other small markets. I hope MS can make exceptions for countries that just don't have the internet infrastructure or else sales will be seriously hampered. But even with us in NA and UK, there will be accidents. Hacks WILL be done, LIVE servers will have hiccups, your internet provider may have a off-day......these will cause global gaming outages, a SIm City disaster X1000, something MS shouldn't have to deal with. Then there is the thing about servicemen, and others who routinely travel....so many unique circumstances that will be inconvienenced with this.

This IMO, is the main deal breaker. Games are great, but I feel that once this issue is nixed, the other cons will fall into place.

"Kinect must be plugged in, but you have complete control over it via privacy settings."

Kinect nevers shuts downs its just "waiting", its so creepy and unnecesary, why can't the x1 work with just the controller if we choose to do so? Creepy.

Kinect privacy

- Choose what Kinect can see and hear
- You will determine how responsive and personalized your Xbox One is to you and your family during setup
- Key options include automatic or manual sign in, privacy settings, and clear notifications about how data is used
- When Xbox One is on and you’re simply having a conversation in your living room, your conversation is not being recorded or uploaded
- Control when Kinect sensing is On, Off or Paused
- If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect
- To turn off your Xbox One, just say “Xbox Off”
- When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command — “Xbox On,” and you can even turn that feature off too
- Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so you’ll need to turn it back on for these experiences
- Control personal data
- You can play games or enjoy applications that use data, such as videos, photos, facial expressions, heart rate and more, but this data will not leave your Xbox One without your explicit permission

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=161670&page=1

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/privacy