By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3rd time is a charm- Do you think Nintendo will finally shine at E3 this year?

I just don't see how they could possibly drop the ball this year, given what they have to show. Unless they choose to END the Nintendo Direct with Wii U Party or Wii Fit U. Not that those won't be great "casual" games that I'll get and enjoy, but they aren't what the "core" E3 fan is going to get hyped about. Even last year's E3 really wouldn't have been that bad if they'd done things in a different order, like STARTING with NSMBU, then showing Nintendo Land and ENDING with Pikmin 3.

We already know four MAJOR Wii U titles they'll be showing off: Wind Waker HD, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros., and those first three will be playable on the show floor. Add in some updates on the games they talked about in the January Nintendo Direct like X, Bayonetta 2, Yarn Yoshi, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, PLUS more on Sonic Lost World, and some kind of tease or mention of Zelda Wii U (don't expect this til Holiday 2015, but hey, even a concept image would be great). Then finish with a BANG by finally revealing Retro's title, which we all know will be drool-worthy whether it's Metroid, Star Fox, or a new IP. To me, that would be the BEST E3 showing they've ever had.

Also, don't forget they're having a 90 minute roundtable for Pokemon X/Y and we'll hopefully get a blowout of new information from that. Plus, they could have another smaller separate Nintendo Direct on Wednesday or Thursday for 3DS games like Mario and Luigi, Mario Golf, and the Legend of Zelda 3DS, which would only ADD to the greatness.

I think the biggest problem is that everybody thinks that an E3 presentation is ONLY good if there are TONS of surprises. Not that surprises aren't great, but I think people focus too much on just wanting NEW announcements all together, rather than the equally-great surprise of SEEING a game like 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., etc. for the first time. New announcements aren't the only things that are worthwhile. I think seeing the games themselves for the first time, plus getting a better idea of what's coming the 2nd half of 2013 and early 2014 and emphasizing that the Wii U drought will officially be over once Pikmin 3 launches in August is PLENTY. Besides, Retro Studios' game WILL be a surprise, as will the 3rd exclusive Sonic title, and who knows...maybe they will have another game or collaboration to reveal, though I don't expect it. Focus on what we ARE getting and we'll all be happier. They have more games to potentially show off/talk about this year than they've had in the last three or four years combined.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Around the Network

They have to, or else the Wii U will be in real trouble.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

To be honest, the only great Nintendo E3 conferences for me were the 2006 and 2010 conferences. The others were either forgettable or just there.

Hopefully 2013 will be great as well. ^_^

Also, if you haven't done so yet... join the E3 hype spaceship!

2011 was "OK", 2012 was poor. I do expect them to hit it out of the park this year. Games are what excite people and I think their games will be outstanding. We already know major titles will be shown, so they just have to make sure they are good and they could be the e3 "winner". A few surprises, a price cut and/or GTA5 could give them the biggest buzz in the industry.

@TK14. Amen. Many of us have been brainwashed to think "oh another mario", but I remember the times when I couldn't wait to see what Mario will look like next.

Around the Network

Well, we have a new 3D Mario, Mario Kart WiiU, Smash Bros. U, and Zelda WW HD confirmed. I'm sure they'll show the 3 new Sonic games, too. Games like Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, SHT x Fire Emblem and 'X' seem like a given to appear. They will probably spend some time on NS Luigi U, Game&Wario, WiiU Fit, WiiU Party, Yarn Yoshi, Deus Ex and Pikmin 3. I'd be highly surprised if they didn't finally unveil Retro's game as well.

Then for 3DS there's Zelda ALTTP 2, Pokemon X/Y, Mario & Luigi, Mario Golf, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter 4, Yoshi's Island, and Smash Bros. as well.

I'm probably forgetting a lot of games, too. And there's also multiplats like Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Batman, ACIV, Rayman Legends, Watchdogs, and more. Nintendo's E3's going to rock our socks off.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

I don't personally think the last two E3s were really disappointing from Nintendo at all. They each had one big problem, 2011 with the glitchy showing of Skyward Sword, and 2012 with spending too much time focusing on Nintendo Land. Otherwise, they both showed games, they both hyped up promise for the future.

Do I hope Nintendo outdoes that this year? Of course. But then again, this year they're not going to be doing quite the same kind of approach as far as reveals and presentations are concerned.

Honestly, what they already have promised to show at e3 (or around e3) is enough to make me say that Nintendo will do fine in my eyes this year, if not great.

They couldn't possibly screw this one up. 3D Mario, SSBB, X, MKWiiU, Pokemon, TWO Zeldas...etc...etc. It's just impossible!!

I think with the hardware out of the way Nintendo can finally focus on the games, and as long as their prime title isn't a mini-game collection they will do great