By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What if Wii actually ends up in 3rd place?

curl-6 said:
The throne is secure, the 8th gen has already begun and will kick into high gear these holidays.
Passing the winner AFTER the finish line isn't winning.

It doesn't matter if 8th gen has started, there is no rules on when we stop counting sales lol If Wii can't keep up anymore than that is Nintendos fault.

Around the Network

I don't think anything will change. It will stay as they are personally. I guess we'll all wait and see!! (and probably not really care too much if the Wii ends up in 3rd)

even if X360 or PS3 overtake Wii in 5-6 years i do not consider that a WIN. this generation is almost over and Wii won a long time ago.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

pezus said:
curl-6 said:
The throne is secure, the 8th gen has already begun and will kick into high gear these holidays.

Who defines the finish line like that? Isn't DS the highest selling console of all time then? Wii probably close to it as well. No, that's not how it works. When you look at wikipedia, vgchartz or whatever to look at sales numbers for old consoles you don't look at what they sold before their successor came out. You look at their total sales. 

Console races are just that, races. Once a new generation starts, the market changes. PS3 lost the race for the 7th gen market. That market is changing, and if in two years it has sold more, it did so in a different market, after losing in the 7th gen market.

Hey, I'm not about to predict console sales now. I was really shocked in 2011 when Wii sales just crashed. It was tracking above PS2 for the 5 years prior, and then flat, dead....

Anything can happen, but what's really funny is Microsoft. Microsoft said that they expect the 360 to sell 100 million, and of the 25 million units or so it still needs to sell, they expect half to be new owners and half to be replacement consoles. So if 360 does outsell the Wii....did it really?

I think PS3 has a shot at topping Wii, but not 360. I think 360 sales will crash with the release of "One" it's sales are already on life support with Kinect, and I just don't see it holding momentum. If 360 does sell 100 million, then Wii will sell 105 million.

PS3 can top Wii, it's at 80 million now right? PS2 was at 100-110 million or so when it was replaced, and still sold another 50% more units thanks to South America, Europe, Africa, and Asia. PS3 only has to sell 25% of what it already has, which I think will happen.

I don't want it to happen, I really wanted Nintendo to get 3rd party support again and become a home console contender, but.....it probably will.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
famousringo said:
1. It will likely still have the privilege of being the most profitable.

2. It will be yet another sign that third party publishers have near-total control of this market.

I disagree with #2 wholeheartedly.

Why? Because the publishers have been earning crap profits?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

with last month's NPD, and new consoles coming this year, I seriously doubt they will even reach 90...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Why would you care?

It does nothing for the fanboys who will brag about it.

I would like to see all 3 consoles hit 100m.

That would be a generation to remember.

1doesnotsimply

curl-6 said:
pezus said:
curl-6 said:

Who defines the finish line like that? Isn't DS the highest selling console of all time then? Wii probably close to it as well. No, that's not how it works. When you look at wikipedia, vgchartz or whatever to look at sales numbers for old consoles you don't look at what they sold before their successor came out. You look at their total sales. 

Console races are just that, races. Once a new generation starts, the market changes. PS3 lost the race for the 7th gen market. That market is changing, and if in two years it has sold more, it did so in a different market, after losing in the 7th gen market.

I have to agree with curl-6, the 7th gen will be over as soon as the next gen consoles all arrive. The Wii won. If anything ps3 surpassing the Wii in 2-3 it wll be a consolation victory for the ps3 fan base. Nothing more!

Doesn't matter cause the Wii was the most profitable

NNID: FrequentFlyer54