By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What if Wii actually ends up in 3rd place?

Jaydi said:
I clearly remember Sony itself saying that PS3 and Wii are not to be compared because of not aiming at the same market.
Back in those days, Sony fans didn't want to compare the sales of those two console who were obviously not playing in the same league.
Can someone explain me what exactly happened and changed the rules?

They said that as an excuse for Wii's stellar sales and PS3's very sluggish start compared to both competitors.

Also, even if they honestly believed that tripe, which I doubt they ever did, that all changed as soon as they flipped their attitude from "Wii motion controls are a fad" to "HEY LOOK EVERYONE, WE JUST INVENTED MOTION CONTROLS WITH THIS THING CALLED PS MOVE, which is TOTALLY not just a Wiimote with a Nunchuk and a colorful bulb on top!" When they introduced Move, they officially tried to go after Wii's "expanded audience", as did MS with the Kinect. Kinect was more successful, but overall, both were not the successes they obviously hoped to be.

Around the Network

4 years from now? Man, I fully expect Nintendo to have announced Wii3 by then.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

won't it be a little too late?

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Then it will be the first time that all three consoles have been first second and third?

PSP Lifetime more than PSV+3DS Lifetime.

radiantshadow92 said:

I hope it happens so that once again everyone will know that games sell consoles. Either way though no one will care...

It's funny you should say that, because Wii had some of the best games of the gen on any console.

Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Red Steel 2, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, RE4 Wii Edition, Monster Hunter 3, NSMBWii, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Zelda: Skyward Sword, Smash Bros. Brawl, Okami remake, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Mario Kart Wii, Excite Truck, Little King's Story, Punch Out, the best version of Ghostbusters, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy, Wario Land, Goldeneye remake, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby Epic Yarn & Return to Dreamland, Boom Blox, de Blob, Batallion Wars II, Zack & Wiki, Super Paper Mario, A Boy and His Blob remake, the Lost Winds games, the Cave Story remake, the La-Mulana remake, the Blaster Master remake, Konami's "ReBirth" series, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Sin & Punishment 2, Pandora's Tower, etc.

And that's not even listing honorable mentions like Mushroom Men, FFCC: The Crystal Bearers, Arc Rise Fantasia, Fragile, Cursed  Mountain, the Wii version of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed I, Geometry Wars Galaxies, The Munchables, Opoona, Tales of Symphonia 2, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, the RE "Chronicles" games,  the Endless Ocean games, etc. etc. etc.

And if all that weren't enough, quite frankly, Wii Sports, for all the crap it got from "the hardcore", at the end of the day was a pretty fun game itself.

So I'd certainly say that Wii had it's share of games, GOOD games, that helped sell the system just fine.

Around the Network

Only a fanboy would care 4 years from now.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Wii ending up in 2nd place is very possible! but in 3rd place i don't think it will ever happen.

in 3 - 4 years time?

Well this means that Nintendo is one generation ahead of everyone or at least has one generation extra in their pocket.

Logically we have:
Wii to Wii U
PS3 to PS4
360 to ONE

but if PS3 and 360 will keep selling between 6.5 and 7mil console a year for the next 3/4 years I am guessing that the sales of PS4 and ONE will be moving very slow since excluding December they will both have to sell 105k a week (MS 360 is already lower than that)- and it is possible that by the time PS3 and 360 have finished their life cycle Nintendo will be already thinking about their new console.

If PS3 and 360 will want to sell for 3/4 years more we can assume that PS4 and ONE will have not have their successor coming out before 2021 and by then nintendo will have a new console out for at least 2 years increasing the gap between them and other company release.

I know that PS2 is still selling 1/2 mil copies a year after a full PS3 run but this will be a new startegy for MS.

Switch!!!

Nobody would care, I can't wait for the PS4 and XBO to release so I can put my old consoles out to pasture.

Objective fact - which console sold the most units (not subject to your opinions or interpretations).

Subjective statement - which console "won" the generation.

Learn to differentiate between these. It's getting exceedingly annoying reading fanboy logic (subjectivity) about objective facts.