By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What if Wii actually ends up in 3rd place?

Wii was a successful, popular product and gave Nintendo a lot of profits.

So, it´s irrelevant if it´s eventually surpassed by either PS3 or Xbox360, it may happen, but I still doubt it.

Around the Network

a generation ends when a new generation begins.

now if ps3 outsells Wii it wins how many units it has sold but it does not win the 7th generation.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

pezus said:
curl-6 said:
pezus said:
curl-6 said:
The throne is secure, the 8th gen has already begun and will kick into high gear these holidays.
Passing the winner AFTER the finish line isn't winning.

Who defines the finish line like that? Isn't DS the highest selling console of all time then? Wii probably close to it as well. No, that's not how it works. When you look at wikipedia, vgchartz or whatever to look at sales numbers for old consoles you don't look at what they sold before their successor came out. You look at their total sales. 

Console races are just that, races. Once a new generation starts, the market changes. PS3 lost the race for the 7th gen market. That market is changing, and if in two years it has sold more, it did so in a different market, after losing in the 7th gen market.

Defined by who? And who defines the finish line? Don't be silly, 5 years from now when you'll be looking at top selling consoles you'll see PS3 number 2 or 3. You won't think "but it should be number 4 because the generation ended before it stopped selling".

The 7th gen is the period of the market in which the 7th gen consoles are the primary focus. That will end this year. In 2015, it will be a totally different market. The market of the 7th gen will not exist anymore. You can't "win" a competition that's long over.

pezus said:
curl-6 said:
pezus said:

Defined by who? And who defines the finish line? Don't be silly, 5 years from now when you'll be looking at top selling consoles you'll see PS3 number 2 or 3. You won't think "but it should be number 4 because the generation ended before it stopped selling".

The 7th gen is the period of the market in which the 7th gen consoles are the primary focus. That will end this year. In 2015, it will be a totally different market. The market of the 7th gen will not exist anymore. You can't "win" a competition that's long over.

According to...you? I'm not asking a subjective question. It is completely objective, and only refers to the final total sales of each console. You won't stop PS3 selling no matter when you think we should stop counting.

Total sales and winning a generation are not the same thing.

^That's what he's saying to you as well, curl-6.

Total sales is an objective fact and is what the thread is about.
You're bringing up an entirely different (subjective) argument.

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
curl-6 said:
The throne is secure, the 8th gen has already begun and will kick into high gear these holidays.

So tired of this type of comment. It's absolutely false in every regard.

There is no finish line in an endurance race.

There is when the audience leaves. When people stop caring and have moved on.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

pezus said:
Rogerioandrade said:
Wii was a successful, popular product and gave Nintendo a lot of profits.

So, it´s irrelevant if it´s eventually surpassed by either PS3 or Xbox360, it may happen, but I still doubt it.

Why is it irrelevant? That is the only question I'm asking with this thread. Stop saying it's irrelevant just because you don't like it (directed at everyone who says that).

ofcourse its not irrelevant every fanboy cares but wii won generation 7 end of credits lol...It could happen I doubt it but it could if people take the ps3 as a cheap blue ray player.. damn it if that happens then it could sell 110+ mil. same as with the ps2 ...as far as I remember it was the cheapest dvd player at that time. but not so with the ps3 because there are cheaper BR players right now. so maybe we will se another price cut by the end of the year and how it will do in the beginning of 2014 then we can talk again and see what happens.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

sales2099 said:
dsgrue3 said:
curl-6 said:

So tired of this type of comment. It's absolutely false in every regard.

There is no finish line in an endurance race.

There is when the audience leaves. When people stop caring and have moved on.

People who are buying the consoles apparently care enough to spend their hard-earned money to enjoy it.

I guess those sales are obsolete because you say so? Sony/MS/Ninty sure beg to differ with your opinion due to profiting on the units and games.

Sorry dude, your opinion is not relevant to the objective truth that a sale occurred.

pezus said:
curl-6 said:
pezus said:
curl-6 said:
pezus said:

According to...you? I'm not asking a subjective question. It is completely objective, and only refers to the final total sales of each console. You won't stop PS3 selling no matter when you think we should stop counting.

Total sales and winning a generation are not the same thing.

In my mind they are, in yours they are not. However, I didn't ask who would win the generation. I asked if PS3 and 360 could put Wii in 3rd place in sales.

Then we're not talking about the same "throne".

dsgrue3 said:
^That's what he's saying to you as well, curl-6.

Total sales is an objective fact and is what the thread is about.
You're bringing up an entirely different (subjective) argument.

I mean this as a joke......because it seems every time this happens; when someone sees a threads point and makes a observation or sees things at a more deeper level (rather then the skin-deep level of "sales is sales"), you come in with the "stick to the thread" mentality. Youv'e said it here a couple times and I have seen it before.

Please, try not to hide behind the thread title as a crutch....do we really have to make a dedicated thread talking about other factors like profit/marketshare gains, etc. so you don't have to resort to your behaviour? It is fine to make a off-hand observation in a thread.....you don't have to be a thread nazi . Argue it, rather then retreat to the thread title.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.