By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What if Wii actually ends up in 3rd place?

pezus said:

"The king is dead. Long live the king!"

Will this be the song of our children, 3-4 years from now, when (if?) PS3 outsells Wii and retakes the throne that Nintendo stole from Sony back in 2007?

Not only is Nintendo's throne threatened by Sony, but now Microsoft wants a slice of that pie as well. They expect around 100m Xbox 360's to be sold eventually. Is there a real danger here that both PS3 and 360 will overtake Wii, only to leave Wii in 3rd and last place?

No offense. But fanboy much? I'm sorry, not saying that you are, but honestly, that is all that post smacks of.

I don't seriously think that the PS3 is going to keep selling for as long as the PS2 did. Neither do I think the 360 is going to have those kinds of legs. Not to mention the fact that Wii's are still selling worldwide, especialy in newer markets where they had yet to really penatrate before. So no, I don't think that Sony is going to "take back the throne that Nintendo stole from them".

And really? "Stole"? The choice is wording is so poor that it's almost not worth commenting. If you're a Playstation fan, congrats. But saying stuff like that, making a post that really sounds like you're cheering for that "Horrible Horrible Nintendo system", to wind up in "Third and last place" eventually, is just sad.

And on a final note, Wii already won the last gen. Period. End of story. PS3 or Xbox continuing to sell and somehow make up all that ground and surpassing total lifetime Wii sales AFTER the fact? That's about as much "winning" as sucker punching the other guy after the fight's already over......

Around the Network
pezus said:
happydolphin said:

Whether true or not, ultimately it is the throne that legitimately belonged to Nintendo in years of old. Sony took it, Nintendo reclaimed it.

It is only possible that Sony steal it yet again.

(For those wondering, this is me lightening up :D)

Yes, legend has it that Nintendo once ruled the land before. But that was a lifetime ago and most scholars have forgotten.

Not really. Not even at all. Those consoles were called the NES and SNES, and I'm not sure you've noticed, but they are both still to this day held in incredibly high regard by most gamers who aren't complete hating fanboys.

Meaningless. Just will be a stat for fangirls to beat off to.

It will be hilarious. The Nintendo fanboys won't be able to recover from it.

I clearly remember Sony itself saying that PS3 and Wii are not to be compared because of not aiming at the same market.
Back in those days, Sony fans didn't want to compare the sales of those two console who were obviously not playing in the same league.
Can someone explain me what exactly happened and changed the rules?

Around the Network

I hope it happens so that once again everyone will know that games sell consoles. Either way though no one will care...

radiantshadow92 said:

I hope it happens so that once again everyone will know that games sell consoles.

Everyone already knows that. Games have always sold consoles.

I always find it amusing when people use a race as a metaphor for the total sales of consoles as a way of saying when it ends.
Saying the sales don't matter because "the race is over" only shows them trying to hard to fit it into the metaphor. Sales aren't a race in the sense of having once someone "wins" its over. Sales don't have a time limit. Sales can happen with several products on the market at the same time.

When comparing total sales, they end when the last thing you are comparing isn't selling a meaningful amount anymore. Otherwise it's just a total as of a certain time.

lol, want to go into the maths on that one, with the PS4 and X1 launch rapidly approaching.

Doubt it will happen, PS3 ain't no PS2.

One of the reasons PS2 sold so well was that PS3 was awful for the 1st couple of years. PS4 looking better than the PS3 was in the early days.

But then again there's China which might open up in the coming years. I still hold to the thought that if China opens, PS3 has a possibility. But if not I'd say the Wii will still hold the crown.

One of the reasons being the marginal utility of a blu-ray playing HD console is low if you don't have the HDTV to really experience it not really reason to get a spanking new console. Oh yeah and online.

Another is the 360. Unlike the 6th gen, 360 offers a very similar library at a lower cost. Where as the PS2 completely dominated the 6th gen and had the best library.

Then there's piracy. Which one's easiest to pirate again? I believe it was the 360 wasn't it? Wii's pretty durn easy too.

It's pretty bollocks even with the developing market right now to think that PS3 has a chance without China opening up. They already have a rich gaming culture, HDTVs and pretty good online.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)