By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How would you rate the Microsoft Conference? Everything you wanted?

6/10 very USA focused presentation a lot of features that will not work outside of the country, little low on games but most important no gameplay shown. Nice extra features, decent box, good ideas in general.

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:
think-man said:
5/10 boring and I hate the name "Xbox one"

Call of duty - cant stand it, so listening to them ramble about it for ten mins was a bore.

Forza looks kool

So does the other new IP

Let down :( I remember having heart palpitations watching Sonys conferences, I found myself fading away watching tv more than once while watching xbox conference :/

Hum at first I was like "WTF" about the name...
But I think it is not bad after all. At least, I prefer it over the fake name of Xbox Infinite !

Yeah xbox infinite would have been a better name, me and my mates nicknamed the original xbox the xbox one lol so seems weird to name the third one that.

5/10

Lots of style with little substance. The entertainment features are great but not unexpected and there are plenty of places where you can get similar services. Controller looks good, Kinect 2.0 could be promising but all the marketing PR crap makes it hard to judge at this stage. They also didn't dispute the negative rumours leading up to the conference which I thought they'd at least mention or downplay.

I think their E3 conference will be far better and more informative. 15 exclusive games and 8 new IPs? More info please!

dane007 said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Bad. Almost zero gameplay footage. Overwhelming amount of focus on entertainment. At one point I was wondering if this box could even play games anymore. To be honest this was all expected, but I was hoping MS would do better. Anyway I look forward to E3 with hope for the 15 new exclusives that they have.

Sony did the same. most of   itr was tech demo which are useless because graphics fidelty shown in demo are no representation of teh final product taht us consumers get. Great example was killzone 2 debacle at e3 when they announced the ps3. What we got shown compared to what we got as a final product was competely different and no where near as good as what we got shown in taht vide. Hence why i taking the kill zone footage with a grain of salt till  the final product comes out. Hoep it stays the same. Did you pay attention to what they said. This conference was all about teh amchine hence why it was only 1 hour conference not two unlike sony and tehy said e3 will all be about games. Why use up all your tricks when you can savor them to when it coutns at e3 .

are u serious did u even see PS4 conference... or just watched few trailers online!? U are saying Killzone shadow fall was not running on PS4... and GG didnt upload the gamplay to FB via ps4.. And if xbox conference was about the machine. tell me what GPU does it have whats the CPU's clock speed what are the back ports besides HDMI's?? 

BasilZero said:
6.5 / 10

At least they showed the system unlike Sony but damn man...that name...

Whats wrong with teh name . Its as boring and unoriginal as the name ps4 lol. Theres no originality in changing the number from 3 to 4 lol

Around the Network

MS is thinking beyond gaming which is a good thing, but mostly in the United States. It was an Apple/Google conference rather than a console show.

6/10

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

3/10

5/10 would be average. 4/10 would be mediocre. 3/10 I felt there fundamental problems.

Problems:

1) Only 20 minutes dedicated to games, half of that being for CoD.

2) The gaming showcase didn't really hype me up. For example, inFamous spent a few minutes doing a good monologue to set the tone, and then they show a really heart pumping trailer. I guess I just didn't ever feel like what was showcase made me wanting for the next gen to come right now.

2) The functions/features could have been sold better.

Two examples:

a) Skype. They should have had a montage, showcasing people watching shows together in moments that make sense. E.g. a bunch of college guys watching a sports game together, and going absolutely nuts when someone scores (some are celebrating, a few are absolutely in agony). The demonstration they did didn't really communicate the benefit in a practical or emotional level.

b) Internet explorer. I would have had someone pause their game, and go to a gaming site like GameFaqs for help, and then starting the game again to beat it.

Overall, there were some broad problems.

Microsoft struggles to push BENEFITS from a CONSUMER'S perspective. Don't just fucking randomly switch from TV, game, etc. I just can't see how that'll really happen in real life. It feels sterile. Maybe do a quick 30s video that comedic shows a guy playing a game, and having his family members quickly switch through to the other things (although that may really just harm, rather than help...)

Related, is on a more emotional level. Again, I absolutely loved the inFamous presentation in the PS4 conference. It was a game I was passionate about, and the game developer seemed really passionate about it too. The Drive Club guy was awkward, but again, you seemed to feel a sense of passion from him.

Sony had a focused message that the PS4 was about games. Helping developers create what they want, and allowing gamers to play those creations. And hopefully you got excited after seeing Watchdogs gameplay or Killzone.

Microsoft just didn't really seem to have that spark that makes you want the next gen to come as soon as possible.

Finally, not in terms of execution, but strategy. I'm really wary about Microsoft's strategy. They seemed to be straddling two different consumers that don't seem to overlap. Are they pushing the non-gaming benefits to expand the market to households that don't have a single person who plays video games? In other words, would people who don't play video games at all, want the Xbox One just because it's superior to a standard cable box and DVR? Or are these non-gaming features supposed to be the competitive advantage that would tip the scales of a "hardcore" gamer to the side of the Xbox One. If so, there seems to be a fundamental contradiction trying to attract these "hardcore" gamers with features that might make them feel alienated.

Another problem of straddling is that each feature is only raising the willingness to pay of one customer (or a lot for one customer, while only a little for another).  

Basically, if I made a graph with Sony it in, it might be much more heavily leaning toward the hardcore, as opposed to the casual.

Finally, I'm just skeptical of how much value the non-gamers, as well as gamers, would put in with a lot of the TV features. I mean, let's just give the benefit of doubt that doing stuff on the Xbox ONE is a superior experience to doing something similar with your smartphone, tablet, etc (e.g. surfing the net while watching TV).

The two questions to ask are: 1) Would people be willing to pay a high price premium to get that superior experience? 2) Would Xbox One eliminate those substitutes?

1) is the million dollar question and 2) is a big fat NO. Even if the Xbox ONE is better at doing stuff than a smartphone, tablet, laptop, people aren'g going to substitute these devices with a Xbox One.

So executionwise it was meh, contentwise it was meh, and strategywise it's worrying.

taus90 said:
dane007 said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Bad. Almost zero gameplay footage. Overwhelming amount of focus on entertainment. At one point I was wondering if this box could even play games anymore. To be honest this was all expected, but I was hoping MS would do better. Anyway I look forward to E3 with hope for the 15 new exclusives that they have.

Sony did the same. most of   itr was tech demo which are useless because graphics fidelty shown in demo are no representation of teh final product taht us consumers get. Great example was killzone 2 debacle at e3 when they announced the ps3. What we got shown compared to what we got as a final product was competely different and no where near as good as what we got shown in taht vide. Hence why i taking the kill zone footage with a grain of salt till  the final product comes out. Hoep it stays the same. Did you pay attention to what they said. This conference was all about teh amchine hence why it was only 1 hour conference not two unlike sony and tehy said e3 will all be about games. Why use up all your tricks when you can savor them to when it coutns at e3 .

are u serious did u even see PS4 conference... or just watched few trailers online!? U are saying Killzone shadow fall was not running on PS4... and GG didnt upload the gamplay to FB via ps4.. And if xbox conference was about the machine. tell me what GPU does it have whats the CPU's clock speed what are the back ports besides HDMI's?? 

Yes i watched the entire  2hour conference. Both focussed on the social aspects of it .  Saw all teh tech domos that they illustrated . Mos tof th sony conference focused on the controller and teh sahre function and how it would be integrated in their new social space where you can post simultaneously game screenshot of epic moments to yoru friend snd tehy can see it almost instant . Sony mainly focussed on the social media features just like ms did . the only diffrence is thsat sony had an extra hour in their reveal which allowed them to show those tech demos and trailers.   They announced a few games and trailers that had no in gmae graphics let alone gamplay. Like i saids the tech dEmo only show whats capable of teh ps4 and majority of the time the games using those engines don't look as good as the tech demos .  i said i don't believe that those are the real time graphics  shown for killzone 4 because of what GG did with killzone 2 when they revealed the ps3 at that time . We all know teh graphics shown at ps3 reveal for KZ2  adn teh final product we got was not even close. the final retail copy ended up haviNGworse graphics then what they presented at e3 for the ps3 reveal.

Should have specify , itS bout tHEe hmachine and capabilites of teh machine and teh freatures it has to interact socially much likE what ps4 did when sony revealed teh machine :) The hardward is most likely teh same as the ps4. Most likely usb 3.0 porst and teh slot to plug in the kinect just like the 360 had.

4/10

There was really nothing that grabbed my interest. It seemed like M$ just really wanted to yell, IT ONLY DOES EVERYTHING but realized that that was Sony's thing so they just wasted my time listing all the features on it that I will never use.

It was awful.
90% of the show was about sports.
Very little actual gameplay.
Nothing about indies.
Ugly looking console.
Stupid Kinect features that I don't care about.
Another COD game.

2/10

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!