By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Mourinho's Failure

Goatseye said:

For almost half a billion euros he better have a convincing performance. For 30 something million Euros Dortmund is in the finals playing waaaaaaay better than his team.

In the English League Cup this season, Bradford City got to the final. At the time, they were a League 2 club (They got promoted today). League 2 is the 4th tier of English football. They beat Wigan Athletic. They beat Arsenal. They beat Aston Villa twice. All Premier League teams. They eventually lost in the final to Swansea City.

This is relevant to this conversation because Bradford City as a team cost £7,500. The team that beat Arsenal cost £7,500 to put together. Arsenals team cost £66,800,000 to put together. 

Football is a funny old game, the cost of a team isnt everything. If the players are up for the challenge, they can beat anyone.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
Munkeh111 said:
Goatseye said:

As a Chelsea fan you should know that Mourinho doesn't take kindly presidents and owners interfering with his teams. Look at Shevchenko case. Got a favor from Abramovich and Mourinho was not happy for the remainder of time in Chelsea and this was one of the reason he probably left/got fired.

DieAppleDie:

Mourinho is overrated
Hes just an ok trainer and hes all talk, there lies his strength.
Sure i only say that cause im a Barsa supporter. XD

Well he is better than Guardiola and Tito defensively. Tactically I don't think anybody can match him.

He reads the matches like no one else. I hope AVB gets to his level just to shut him up because AVB is all about the beauty of the game and he is about winning.

Yeah, he doesn't like that, but he is going to have to learn to deal with it.

Are you joking about AvB? He is nowhere near the level Mourinho is at, where would Tottenham be if Bale had not saved them every other match?

It's not his fault that Tottenham is broke and can't afford some decent defenders. This is Tottenham best season yet. AVB is very talented and look what he did when he had Hulk, Falcao and Joao Moutinho. AVB is new, but very wise and just needs a bitt of time and money.

Tottenham came 4th last year. This is Bale's best season, that's it.

Also, AvB's style of defending is fundamentally flawed. He is too stubborn to choose a system that fits the players, last year his need to play a high line really cost Chelsea

Munkeh111 said:
Goatseye said:
Munkeh111 said:
Goatseye said:

As a Chelsea fan you should know that Mourinho doesn't take kindly presidents and owners interfering with his teams. Look at Shevchenko case. Got a favor from Abramovich and Mourinho was not happy for the remainder of time in Chelsea and this was one of the reason he probably left/got fired.

DieAppleDie:

Mourinho is overrated
Hes just an ok trainer and hes all talk, there lies his strength.
Sure i only say that cause im a Barsa supporter. XD

Well he is better than Guardiola and Tito defensively. Tactically I don't think anybody can match him.

He reads the matches like no one else. I hope AVB gets to his level just to shut him up because AVB is all about the beauty of the game and he is about winning.

Yeah, he doesn't like that, but he is going to have to learn to deal with it.

Are you joking about AvB? He is nowhere near the level Mourinho is at, where would Tottenham be if Bale had not saved them every other match?

It's not his fault that Tottenham is broke and can't afford some decent defenders. This is Tottenham best season yet. AVB is very talented and look what he did when he had Hulk, Falcao and Joao Moutinho. AVB is new, but very wise and just needs a bitt of time and money.

Tottenham came 4th last year. This is Bale's best season, that's it.

Also, AvB's style of defending is fundamentally flawed. He is too stubborn to choose a system that fits the players, last year his need to play a high line really cost Chelsea

He needs to get defenders at Porto. Most defenders in EPL suck like a black hole. There's bunch of exceptions but the teams defend poorly for my taste.

Chelsea was just a lit up cocktail Molotov. Players got rid of him. He proved at Porto that he is very good.

Carl2291 said:
Can someone explain to me just why Jose's time at Madrid has been a failure?

1- He wrestled the league back from a team that many consider to be the greatest team of all time, breaking every record possible in the process (Points, goals scored, goal difference, away wins, total wins).

2- He won the Copa del Rey for Madrid, the first time they won it in ~18 Years?

3- Won the Supercopa, against again arguably the greatest team of all time.

4- Put Madrid in 3 consecutive Champions League Semi Finals, where before the team hadnt gone by the 2nd round since 2004.

I can understand people saying this season was a failure for him... But his total time there? Nah.

1- It's not like Madrid were a mess before he showed up. They were only 3 points away from barca with 96 the season before he came.

2- Well, many don't really care about that it's quite minor, but I guess it is something.

3- Again minor trophy.

4- That would have been amazing for many clubs but not Madrid. The team with limitless resources. I mean the guy won it with Porto and Inter for god's sake.

Madrid made the biggest offer in history (I believe) for Mourinho, do you think they expected 3 trophies and non of them being a Champions League?

Atletico won 4 trophies since Mourinho came to Madrid.

Talal said:

1- It's not like Madrid were a mess before he showed up. They were only 3 points away from barca with 96 the season before he came.

2- Well, many don't really care about that it's quite minor, but I guess it is something.

3- Again minor trophy.

4- That would have been amazing for many clubs but not Madrid. The team with limitless resources. I mean the guy won it with Porto and Inter for god's sake.

Madrid made the biggest offer in history (I believe) for Mourinho, do you think they expected 3 trophies and non of them being a Champions League?

Atletico won 4 trophies since Mourinho came to Madrid.

Well, when you put it that way I guess he really does look like a failure

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
getting 2nd in the best football league, 2nd in the cup and making it to the semi-finals in the most competitive football competition is "disastrous" ?

no, these expectations are disastrous

Best football league is an English Premier League. Most certainly not spanish league 

Player1x3 said:
Lafiel said:
getting 2nd in the best football league, 2nd in the cup and making it to the semi-finals in the most competitive football competition is "disastrous" ?

Best football league is an English Premier League. Most certainly not spanish league 

I'm sorry, I was going by uefa rankings here.

Player1x3 said:
Lafiel said:

EPL is exciting but not the best.

English teams when they play on European tournaments they struggle. Rare exceptions were mid 2000's.

Their tatics are suicidal against latin and german teams. I hate the way they defend but that's what makes EPL so exciting because the defense is almost forgotten.

When Mourinho went over there you guys didn't like his style. But he dominated the league with his defensive tatics.

Benfica balled Chelsea like no one in England has done yet this season. If Chelsea had played Porto they would've been humiliated. 

Goatseye said:
Player1x3 said:
Lafiel said:

English teams when they play on European tournaments they struggle. Rare exceptions were mid 2000's.

Their tatics are suicidal against latin and german teams. I hate the way they defend but that's what makes EPL so exciting because the defense is almost forgotten.

When Mourinho went over there you guys didn't like his style. But he dominated the league with his defensive tatics.

Benfica balled Chelsea like no one in England has done yet this season. If Chelsea had played Porto they would've been humiliated. 

Chelsea were so lucky. No offense to Chelsea fans, but both this and the Champions League title were undeserved in my opinion. They might have deserved it back in 2007/2008, but winning it last year was a fluke.

Talal said:
Goatseye said:
Player1x3 said:
Lafiel said:

Chelsea were so lucky. No offense to Chelsea fans, but both this and the Champions League titles were undeserved in my opinion. They might have deserved it back in 2007/2008, but winning it last year was a fluke.

agreed