By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA Sports Engineer: Wii U is crap, less powerful than 360. No money for 3rd parties.

pezus said:
Nem said:
pezus said:

Yes, it's very much a social game. When I think of "family" I think of "friends" as well

Family and friends arent the same thing. ^^ Cheers to you if they are though.

Tell that to these guys:

Are you saying you're in the mafia? :D

Around the Network
chapset said:
Mr Khan said:
chapset said:
TripleMMM said:
fillet said:

Except Most Wanted U is only ever so slightly better looking on the Wii-U.

Like some multiplats look ever so slightly better on the Xbox 360 vs PS3. It's well known the PS3 produces the best graphical exclusives. The "Most Wanted situation" isn't substantial proof of anything, just generally that it's in the same ball park area of power as an Xbox 360 or PS3. You show a game with substantially improved textures, particle effects, resolution and physics effects Vs the PS3/Xbox 360 version then people start becoming believers.

If that doesn't make you believe, then I don't know what will, but if you want to have more proof, then we just have to play the waiting game and see if (and that's a big IF) other developers wants to do the grunt work... But I gotta say, if Criterion can do that with a flip of a switch, imagine what they could've done if they actually did the game really from the ground-up? But that is also still up for debate... >.>

with how much the game sold don't get your hopes up for third parties to do that

Given that EA sent it out to die like everything else, sales are no excuse.

By making it the superior version??

Well NFS I think did bad for two reasons:
1. Price difference was huge, it is like a kick in the balls.

2. All the EA BS that went down with previous games and their PR was enough for people to say fuck all EA games.

Which is sad cause NFS is pretty good.

fillet said:

I thought you were laying out a rhetorical question to me, that obviously I couldn't answer.

I was basically just saying, the guy has a technical background so he'd have used that knowledge ot make the untechnical sounding statement.

Everyone else was doing the character assasination thing.

Not sure why hypocritical, I was just making a differential between character assasination -> technical assessment.

Trouble with how things are these days, people in a professional position can't give their true off the cuff opinion on anything. He doesn't work for PR, people should welcome the open voice.

Let's face it, even if Criterion hadn't produced a better NFS:MW and DF hadn't verified it as slightly technically suprerior, the same people would be calling this guy incompetent purely because he's insulting a games console. I can't exactly prove that, but the knee jerk reaction most posts here reek of is just silly and smells of "I hate EA".

*I'm not and wasn't calling you childish, it was one supposition that could explain the posts of the nature denouncing the guy. Just saying, on the one hand you have a guy who has rudely voiced his opinion based on technical background, then on the other you have forum members on VGChartz who for the most part are baselessly, using no reasoning whatsoever to call this guy incompetent.

Granted, later on people referred to Criterion - even that isn't accurate though, since Criterion has a vested interest and any of their opinions can't be used to counter a "real world" comment. The only evidence worth anything to counter is the DF analysis of NFS:MW which validates Criteron's claims. Still, that's one developer and one game.

Is that enough to say this guy is talking out his arse?...Maybe it is, but I take exception to the fact most were saying this without even thinking of the word "Criteron" as can be seen by a quick scan through the comments. Some people talking like HE was upset or angry!?

So yeah, it is defensive. It's much better to be analytical about all this.

Frozenbyte also exceeded the PS3 and 360 with Trine 2: Director's Cut on Wii U, and said it would have to be downscaled to work on those systems.

Shin'en confirmed that Nano Assault Neo does things PS3/360 can't.

Nintendolife a few months back asked Jason Kingsley, CEO of Rebellion, developers of Sniper Elite v2 if he thought the wii u was more powerful than 360 & ps3. His answer- "In a word yes- It's very capable and we're taking advantage of this to bring greater graphical fidelity to the Wii U version."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/02/developer_interview_rebellion_on_why_sniper_elite_v2_wii_u_is_the_definitive_version

There are quite a few developers that are claiming otherwise.

dahuman said:
ninjablade said:
dahuman said:
DieAppleDie said:
Oh hes back D:

and as usual has no idea what he's talking about and has massive typo issues, just leave it be.

yea i have no idea what, i'm talikng about, except i been right on everything.

Only you are still wrong on most things you've presented with no facts backing you up, and instead you use rumor and speculation as always from an "anonymous dev" and even more speculation from people posting on the internet with no identity of your own while using word like "confirmed" with them without official confirmation from Nintendo while twisting your post to a degree which as usual, make Beyond3D and GAF people look bad due to your ignorance. What the hell man? I suggest going back to school or study harder if you are still in school. You get -100 points for logic and critical thinking.

almost everbody on beyond3d and neogaf agrees the gpu is a 160 shader gpu, now even a ea engineer has come out and said its weaker then 360, i really dont think its weaker, i think it on par, it will run some games better and some games worst, now what else have i been wrong about wiiu bombing in sales or no third party support, if it was a 320 shader gpu, there is no way in hell he would say something like that and there is also  no way many ports would be inferior if it was a 320 shader gpu.

Around the Network

reminds me about Bobby Kotick saying Activision would stop supporting the PS3 since it doesn't sell

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

We have absolutely no idea how many ALUs are in the GPU. None at all. We don't even know what architecture it uses, whether it's VLIW4, VLIW5 or something completely custom.

Everything on Gaf and Beyond3D is pure speculation.

All we know for certain is that it has 32MB of eDRAM, at least 1MB of SRAM, a DX11-equivalent feature set and a usable tesselation unit...and that it's more powerful than the RSX and Xenos.

How do we know that latter part above..? Trine 2 and Most Wanted are a noticeable step above the PS3 and 360 SKUs and the Japanese Garden and Zelda tech demos are beyond anything that RSX and Xenos are capable of in real-time.

And Ninja, your sig doesn't take into account several important things - Expresso has a shorter pipeline than Xenon, Xenon is In-Order and therefore less efficient, Xenon has to deal with sound, IO and OS whereas the Wii U has dedicated silicon to deal with these things, freeing up Expresso for other tasks.

In terms of real world performance the Wii U is around 3-4 times more powerful than the 360. We've gone over all this before mate.

His comments don't really add any cred to the argument. His posts come off as childish and like something a 10 year old would say when they don't get their way.

Whats sad to me is ALL gamers should be embarrassed by how this clown is acting. Instead though, because its popular to hate on Nintendo a lot of people are looking at this guy like he is a great thing for gaming. Him acting like a child does nothing to further gaming in the eyes of nongamers.
If you were watching an NBA game and a player just suddenly laid down on the court and started bawling how would you react? Most of you it seems would commend the guy and act like he is an MVP going by how the internet has reacted to this guy.

snowdog said:
We have absolutely no idea how many ALUs are in the GPU. None at all. We don't even know what architecture it uses, whether it's VLIW4, VLIW5 or something completely custom.

Everything on Gaf and Beyond3D is pure speculation.

All we know for certain is that it has 32MB of eDRAM, at least 1MB of SRAM, a DX11-equivalent feature set and a usable tesselation unit...and that it's more powerful than the RSX and Xenos.

How do we know that latter part above..? Trine 2 and Most Wanted are a noticeable step above the PS3 and 360 SKUs and the Japanese Garden and Zelda tech demos are beyond anything that RSX and Xenos are capable of in real-time.

And Ninja, your sig doesn't take into account several important things - Expresso has a shorter pipeline than Xenon, Xenon is In-Order and therefore less efficient, Xenon has to deal with sound, IO and OS whereas the Wii U has dedicated silicon to deal with these things, freeing up Expresso for other tasks.

In terms of real world performance the Wii U is around 3-4 times more powerful than the 360. We've gone over all this before mate.

this. +10

34 years playing games.

snowdog said:

I think it really depends on the task. Devs might have a hard time porting games that are relying heavily on the CPU, as I imagine that the low clocking out of order CPU needs a different approach than the high clocking in order CPUs PS360 used - especially as the latter ones have more threads than WiiUs CPU. On the GPU front however the WiiU should easily be able to outperform 7th gen consoles, yet devs ofcourse have way more experience with what's in the old consoles, so it might be tougher than expected to imidiatly get results that reflect this difference in raw power.