By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA Sports Engineer: Wii U is crap, less powerful than 360. No money for 3rd parties.

Lafiel said:
snowdog said:
In terms of real world performance the Wii U is around 3-4 times more powerful than the 360. We've gone over all this before mate.

I think it really depends on the task. Devs might have a hard time porting games that are relying heavily on the CPU, as I imagine that the low clocking out of order CPU needs a different approach than the high clocking in order CPUs PS360 used - especially as the latter ones have more threats than WiiUs CPU. On the GPU front however the WiiU should easily be able to outperform 7th gen consoles, yet devs ofcourse have way more experience with what's in the old consoles, so it might be tougher than expected to imidiatly get results that reflect this difference in raw power.

Yup, agreed.

The most interesting thing that the majority of people are unaware of is that thanks to Nintendo's forward thinking with regards to architecture developers are going to find it a great deal easier to port between the Wii U/PS4/720 than it currently is to port between the Wii U/PS3/360.

And even the difference in RAM is going to be somewhat negated by having Wii U titles in 720p native as opposed to 1080p native and Nintendo's insane compression algorithms. We're probably going to have to wait 4 years before we see games too 'big' for the Wii U and by that time we'll be very close to seeing the Wii 3 on the market anyway.

Around the Network

snowdog said:

How do we know that latter part above..? Trine 2 and Most Wanted are a noticeable step above the PS3 and 360 SKUs and the Japanese Garden and Zelda tech demos are beyond anything that RSX and Xenos are capable of in real-time.

Hold on SnowD, those are just tech demos, not really from an existing upcoming game. I seriously don't want a Killzone demo for the PS2 fiasco happening again. And if this happens with Nintendo, I will bloody scorn them for that bullocks!

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

On the technical aspects, he's either lying or he has an agenda.

Either way, believing him means you either accept lies at face value or also have an agenda.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

TripleMMM said:

snowdog said:

How do we know that latter part above..? Trine 2 and Most Wanted are a noticeable step above the PS3 and 360 SKUs and the Japanese Garden and Zelda tech demos are beyond anything that RSX and Xenos are capable of in real-time.

Hold on SnowD, those are just tech demos, not really from an existing upcoming game. I seriously don't want a Killzone demo for the PS2 fiasco happening again. And if this happens with Nintendo, I will bloody scorn them for that bullocks!

I wouldn't worry too much about that mate given that the demos were developed in a matter of months, everything was done in real-time with no pre-rendering and that those demos were also developed on very early Alpha dev kits.

I sometimes think that Nintendo have shown us bugger all with decent eye candy on purpose just to blow everyone away during these next few months with gorgeous looking visuals in an attempt to grab some headlines and detract media attention from the PS4 and 720 somewhat.

snowdog said:

I wouldn't worry too much about that mate given that the demos were developed in a matter of months, everything was done in real-time with no pre-rendering and that those demos were also developed on very early Alpha dev kits.

I sometimes think that Nintendo have shown us bugger all with decent eye candy on purpose just to blow everyone away during these next few months with gorgeous looking visuals in an attempt to grab some headlines and detract media attention from the PS4 and 720 somewhat.

While shall agree that the Zelda Demo was real-time. I didn't see anyone doing the same for the Garden demo. But yeah, I also would not worry myself about the outcome either, since I shall keep my expectation firmly on the soil. But I really don't want another false-hope happening...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
Around the Network
Viper1 said:
On the technical aspects, he's either lying or he has an agenda.

Either way, believing him means you either accept lies at face value or also have an agenda.

Indeed.

He is not that wrong, but he could have used less harsh words to say it.
And, althought it has a slower CPU than the XBOX360, I guess the 2GB RAM probably make room for some stuff the PS3 and the XBOX360 cannot do, like web surffing during a game or some extra eye candy in certain games.
But I see his point, after 7 years playing the 360, people expect the new consoles to be better in every aspect and, althought the WiiU IS better than the Wii, it really does not impress anyone who owns a PS3 or a XBOX360...

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

snowdog said:
I think it really depends on the task. Devs might have a hard time porting games that are relying heavily on the CPU, as I imagine that the low clocking out of order CPU needs a different approach than the high clocking in order CPUs PS360 used - especially as the latter ones have more threats than WiiUs CPU. On the GPU front however the WiiU should easily be able to outperform 7th gen consoles, yet devs ofcourse have way more experience with what's in the old consoles, so it might be tougher than expected to imidiatly get results that reflect this difference in raw power.

Yup, agreed.

The most interesting thing that the majority of people are unaware of is that thanks to Nintendo's forward thinking with regards to architecture developers are going to find it a great deal easier to port between the Wii U/PS4/720 than it currently is to port between the Wii U/PS3/360.

And even the difference in RAM is going to be somewhat negated by having Wii U titles in 720p native as opposed to 1080p native and Nintendo's insane compression algorithms. We're probably going to have to wait 4 years before we see games too 'big' for the Wii U and by that time we'll be very close to seeing the Wii 3 on the market anyway.

I guess I will sound naive, but, don´t you guys think that NINTENDO made a mistake with the slow CPU then? If it was a little, just a tiny bit, better than the PS3 and 360, everybody would be happy and dancing the marcarena while porting the games.

It is such a small detail to mess it up, but it makes a world of a difference. If I worked at Nintendo I would have said this:

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NOTHING ON THE WIIU CAN BE WORST THAN THE PS3 AND 360, DID YOU HEARD ME? NOTHING! NOTHIN I TELL YOU! NOTHING!!!! MUWAHAHAHH!"

They would probably have me comitted as a crazy person, but... Well...

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

WagnerPaiva said:
snowdog said:

Yup, agreed.

I guess I will sound naive, but, don´t you guys think that NINTENDO made a mistake with the slow CPU then? If it was a little, just a tiny bit, better than the PS3 and 360, everybody would be happy and dancing the marcarena while porting the games.

It is such a small detail to mess it up, but it makes a world of a difference. If I worked at Nintendo I would have said this:

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NOTHING ON THE WIIU CAN BE WORST THAN THE PS3 AND 360, DID YOU HEARD ME? NOTHING! NOTHIN I TELL YOU! NOTHING!!!! MUWAHAHAHH!"

They would probably have me comitted as a crazy person, but... Well...

The CPU is a completely different architecture. It's a OoE CPU. I'ts not an apples to apples comparison. The 360 CPU and the Cell were exceptional at number crunching but highly inefficient at everything else.  What's happening with the Wii U is quite simple. Developers are slapping code optimized for the 360 and PS3 onto the Wii U without the necessarily optimizations.

Darc Requiem said:
The CPU is a completely different architecture. It's a OoE CPU. I'ts not an apples to apples comparison. The 360 CPU and the Cell were exceptional at number crunching but highly inefficient at everything else.  What's happening with the Wii U is quite simple. Developers are slapping code optimized for the 360 and PS3 onto the Wii U without the necessarily optimizations.

I did not know that. So I guess we will never know how powerful it really is =/