By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Naughty Dog change the industry twice in one generation?

Can Naughty Dog change the industry with TLoU?

Yes 197 61.18%

No 95 29.50%

See results 30 9.32%

Total:322

I dont know, but I think it will be GOTY.

Around the Network

I don't see how Uncharted (2) changed anything in the industry. As for The Last of Us, I will wait until after I play it to state my opinion.

bananaking21 said:
g911turbo said:
bananaking21 said:
for the last fucking time people this thread isnt about uncharted!!

@grandia, stop derailing my thread with uncharted. if you want to bash it make a damn thread of your own

To be fair you do kind of tie them together. You should have just asked if tlou will change the genre or industry. You brought uncharted into it and even say twice I the title lol. Let's be fair here. 

if i made a thread where i said "can the last of us change the industry twice" and said nothing about the first time they changed the industry, wouldnt have anybody who came in the thread asked "when was the first time they changed the industry?". i had to clarify when was the first time

Naughty Dog changed the industry way more with Crash Bandicoot than with Ucharted. Don't get me wrong Crash Bandicoot was neither a real industry changer but they was back then way closer to change the industry with crash than they are today with Uncharted.

Crash Bandicoot was back then a real figurehead for playstation brand and in one line with segas sonic even super mario was only slightly more successful, it was a big mistake from Sony to sell this brand.

bananaking21 said:
g911turbo said:
bananaking21 said:

if i made a thread where i said "can the last of us change the industry twice" and said nothing about the first time they changed the industry, wouldnt have anybody who came in the thread asked "when was the first time they changed the industry?". i had to clarify when was the first time

You should have dropped the twice all together. You basically tied your question to your opinion, which dilutes the question.  For example.  Let's say I think tlou WILL change the genre/industry but don't thin uncharted did. I have to technically answer no to your poll despite my thoughts on tlou.  

ahh geez, here is the thing, uncharted changing the industry isnt an opinion,its a fact. whether ones personal bais or lack of knowledge about the matter is holding him back from understanding it doesnt change the fact that it did.

uncharted 2 brought centimatic gameplay to a whole new level, was there centimatic gameplay in games before? yes, but uncharted did what was never done before, yes, it did what was never done before. it gave an experience in games that people didnt think was possible. the characters, the story, the set pieces, the graphics, the gameplay it all mixed together perfectly. 

the set pieces in uncharted 2 are still unmatched in any other game. uncharted 2 brought movie like set pieces to a whole new level, a level where games like assassin's creed, resident evil, splinter cell, max payne, tomb raider, remember me, killzone all tried to mimick. 

characte driven games were also all influenced by UC2, naughty dog basically showed the industry how its done, and from that point forward a ton of games have tried to copy and learn from their style. 

UC2 also made major breakthroughs in terms of technology, the DOTS (dynamic object traversal system) is probably the biggest innovation in game and level desgin in the entire generation. 

the "centimatic" experience has changed dramtically since UC2, its growth in the industry has been rapid ever since UC2's success. thats undeniable. now i made a thread about whether naughty dog can change the industry twice in the same generation, a lot of developers have made huge changes to the industry, but i cant think of any who did it in the same gen. thats the entire reason for this thread

Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Half life even Halo  brought 10-15 years before Uncharted centimatic gameplay to this level. Really if you want to determine a originator for centimatic gameplay experiences than take Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy.

No offense, but personally, I really don't get how Uncharted "changed the industry" in any way, shape or form. If you want to argue that it's a good game, then sure. But if you ask me, Naughty Dog has done better work in the past, and it's not as if Uncharted was the first 3rd person shooter, 3D game with cinematic narrative, game with major voice acting work, etc. etc. etc. etc. It's all been done before. It just was just put in a nice package.

Just saying. On a long list of games from this past gen that I would give any sort of "changed/shaped" the industry credit.....the Uncharted series would not be on that list.

Around the Network

Those who think that Uncharted is great should play some Enslaved - Odyssey to the West. That game puts Uncharted in shame! It doesn't have the annoying gunfights that the Uncharted games have, and it doesn't have any QTEs! I'm not hating on Uncharted, they are good games but a bit overrated.

I don't get the hype about The Last of Us - all I see is another third person action game with zombies and stuff. I guess it's the NAUGHTY DOG

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Capulous said:
I don't see how Uncharted (2) changed anything in the industry. As for The Last of Us, I will wait until after I play it to state my opinion.

Cinematic story-telling. Off the top of my head it's influence is clear in Far cry 3 or the latest Tomb Raider. I think people exaggerate or give it too much credit (cod is just as responsible), but it's definitely had an impact.

Andrespetmonkey said:
Capulous said:

Cinematic story-telling. Off the top of my head it's influence is clear in Far cry 3 or the latest Tomb Raider. I think people exaggerate or give it too much credit (cod is just as responsible), but it's definitely had an impact.

you are acting like there wasn't cinematic story-telling before uncharted lol

I definitely feel Uncharted raised the bar in the action adventure genre, but so do a lot of games. Saying they changed the industry is giving them too much credit considering Uncharted isn't exactly original.

For what its worth, I impressed that Naughty Dog is going to have multiple successful new IPs this gen. Not many studios can make that claim. They raised the bar, but I don't feel they changed the industry in a significant way.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Th3PANO said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Capulous said:

you are acting like there wasn't cinematic story-telling before uncharted lol

No I'm not, I  never said it invented it. It took it to a new level and helped popularize it further. Look at early gen action games than late gen action games. Look at FC2 and than FC3, look at how character driven and set-piece packed it became, for better or worse there's undeniably some influence from Uncharted.