By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Naughty Dog change the industry twice in one generation?

Can Naughty Dog change the industry with TLoU?

Yes 197 61.18%

No 95 29.50%

See results 30 9.32%

Total:322
nnodley said:
Th3PANO said:
bananaking21 said:
walsufnir said:
To me UC2 didn't change the industry the first time so no to the thread-title. UC2 was a very good game, one of the best this gen, especially the presentation, but in terms of gameplay I think it didn't change that much. Sure, some games were inspired by it and it set the level very high for polished games but that's it (for me).
Considering TLOU this game could change something, yes. It looks really interesting storywise, in terms of gameplay and presentation. So ND could perhaps change the industry but this will be cross-gen, it will have more influence with nextgen than this gen. ND is a very good developer and Sony can be proud of them.
I still have to get used to this type of games, though.
I said it in another thread: I hope Sony offers Gaikai-clients for more than just Sony-platforms so I can play it sometime in future.

thanks for actually staying on topic, even though you dont agree me you voiced your opinion in a really good way, i cant understand why its so hard for other users to do the same. 

can i ask, what do you mean you have to get used to these types of games? do you mean third person shooters? and i guess we have to wait and see about gaikai, but i would assume it would be just sony products that would use it

btw, whats up with the sig? is it supposed to be a MS hype train?

just give me a solid reason besides script sequences lol.

I believe it's known that you don't like Uncharted or games with no gameplay as you would call them.  Which is false because from my experience playing the game, unlike you it seems, I actually did get to keep the control of the character for over 3/4 of the game and there was platforming and gunplay and melee combat.  But, like BananaKing said this thread is not about Uncharted, so either bring something worthwhile to the thread or get out.  It's that simple.

Sorry BananaKing I just couldn't resist.

no need to be sorry lol. i was gonna explain it to him tomorrow, i still will, im just to tired to explain it now. im taking it as he is asking seriously. but thanks for your post, i actually hope a lot of people read it before posting in this thread.

btw i think you are underestimating how long 1/4 of the game is. i would say the controll over teh character is about 7/8 of the game. 1/4 of the game would be around 2:30 hours. which is waaaaay to much

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
nnodley said:

I believe it's known that you don't like Uncharted or games with no gameplay as you would call them.  Which is false because from my experience playing the game, unlike you it seems, I actually did get to keep the control of the character for over 3/4 of the game and there was platforming and gunplay and melee combat.  But, like BananaKing said this thread is not about Uncharted, so either bring something worthwhile to the thread or get out.  It's that simple.

no need to be sorry lol. i was gonna explain it to him tomorrow, i still will, im just to tired to explain it now. im taking it as he is asking seriously. but thanks for your post, i actually hope a lot of people read it before posting in this thread.

btw i think you are underestimating how long 1/4 of the game is. i would say the controll over teh character is about 7/8 of the game. 1/4 of the game would be around 2:30 hours. which is waaaaay to much

I thought Naughty Dog said that there were a couple hours of cutscenes in both Uncharted 2 and 3.  And I guess you would be right since both my playthroughs in both games were close to 12 hours it would still be longer than 3/4.  Alright back on topic. :-p

nnodley said:
Th3PANO said:
bananaking21 said:
walsufnir said:
To me UC2 didn't change the industry the first time so no to the thread-title. UC2 was a very good game, one of the best this gen, especially the presentation, but in terms of gameplay I think it didn't change that much. Sure, some games were inspired by it and it set the level very high for polished games but that's it (for me).
Considering TLOU this game could change something, yes. It looks really interesting storywise, in terms of gameplay and presentation. So ND could perhaps change the industry but this will be cross-gen, it will have more influence with nextgen than this gen. ND is a very good developer and Sony can be proud of them.
I still have to get used to this type of games, though.
I said it in another thread: I hope Sony offers Gaikai-clients for more than just Sony-platforms so I can play it sometime in future.

thanks for actually staying on topic, even though you dont agree me you voiced your opinion in a really good way, i cant understand why its so hard for other users to do the same. 

can i ask, what do you mean you have to get used to these types of games? do you mean third person shooters? and i guess we have to wait and see about gaikai, but i would assume it would be just sony products that would use it

btw, whats up with the sig? is it supposed to be a MS hype train?

just give me a solid reason besides script sequences lol.

I believe it's known that you don't like Uncharted or games with no gameplay as you would call them.  Which is false because from my experience playing the game, unlike you it seems, I actually did get to keep the control of the character for about 7/8 of the game and there was platforming and gunplay and melee combat.  But, like BananaKing said this thread is not about Uncharted, so either bring something worthwhile to the thread or get out.  It's that simple.

I never ever said it is a bad game lol. It just wasn't an industry changer, pac man was a industry cahnger, donkey kong, super mario bros. finfal fantasy, zelda, sim city, populous, ultima, gran turismo, call of duty 4, quake, doom, super mario 64. these are industry changers.

EDIT: I never said once that i don't like games without pure gameplay. I wouldn't play rpg's if that was the case, and Red Dead Redemptionn is one of my favourite games of this gen. I just don'tlike  this action scricpted games anymore. And if you are going to tell me uncharted defined how to present a game then I have to disagree a bit. Call of Duty 4 had the biggest impact this gen. Followed by millions of games with the same mechanics. And their way of presenting was still fresh and totally new for the fps genre as well.

bananaking21 said:
for the last fucking time people this thread isnt about uncharted!!

@grandia, stop derailing my thread with uncharted. if you want to bash it make a damn thread of your own

To be fair you do kind of tie them together. You should have just asked if tlou will change the genre or industry. You brought uncharted into it and even say twice I the title lol. Let's be fair here. 

g911turbo said:
bananaking21 said:

@grandia, stop derailing my thread with uncharted. if you want to bash it make a damn thread of your own

To be fair you do kind of tie them together. You should have just asked if tlou will change the genre or industry. You brought uncharted into it and even say twice I the title lol. Let's be fair here. 

if i made a thread where i said "can the last of us change the industry twice" and said nothing about the first time they changed the industry, wouldnt have anybody who came in the thread asked "when was the first time they changed the industry?". i had to clarify when was the first time

Around the Network

Teh generation doesn't start until Naughty Dog says so.

bananaking21 said:
g911turbo said:
bananaking21 said:

if i made a thread where i said "can the last of us change the industry twice" and said nothing about the first time they changed the industry, wouldnt have anybody who came in the thread asked "when was the first time they changed the industry?". i had to clarify when was the first time

You should have dropped the twice all together. You basically tied your question to your opinion, which dilutes the question.  For example.  Let's say I think tlou WILL change the genre/industry but don't thin uncharted did. I have to technically answer no to your poll despite my thoughts on tlou.  

Guess time will tell. I sure hope so because I am pumped for TLOU!

g911turbo said:
bananaking21 said:

You should have dropped the twice all together. You basically tied your question to your opinion, which dilutes the question.  For example.  Let's say I think tlou WILL change the genre/industry but don't thin uncharted did. I have to technically answer no to your poll despite my thoughts on tlou.  

ahh geez, here is the thing, uncharted changing the industry isnt an opinion,its a fact. whether ones personal bais or lack of knowledge about the matter is holding him back from understanding it doesnt change the fact that it did.

uncharted 2 brought centimatic gameplay to a whole new level, was there centimatic gameplay in games before? yes, but uncharted did what was never done before, yes, it did what was never done before. it gave an experience in games that people didnt think was possible. the characters, the story, the set pieces, the graphics, the gameplay it all mixed together perfectly. 

the set pieces in uncharted 2 are still unmatched in any other game. uncharted 2 brought movie like set pieces to a whole new level, a level where games like assassin's creed, resident evil, splinter cell, max payne, tomb raider, remember me, killzone all tried to mimick. 

characte driven games were also all influenced by UC2, naughty dog basically showed the industry how its done, and from that point forward a ton of games have tried to copy and learn from their style. 

UC2 also made major breakthroughs in terms of technology, the DOTS (dynamic object traversal system) is probably the biggest innovation in game and level desgin in the entire generation. 

the "centimatic" experience has changed dramtically since UC2, its growth in the industry has been rapid ever since UC2's success. thats undeniable. now i made a thread about whether naughty dog can change the industry twice in the same generation, a lot of developers have made huge changes to the industry, but i cant think of any who did it in the same gen. thats the entire reason for this thread

bananaking21 said:
g911turbo said:
bananaking21 said:

ahh geez, here is the thing, uncharted changing the industry isnt an opinion,its a fact. whether ones personal bais or lack of knowledge about the matter is holding him back from understanding it doesnt change the fact that it did.

uncharted 2 brought centimatic gameplay to a whole new level, was there centimatic gameplay in games before? yes, but uncharted did what was never done before, yes, it did what was never done before. it gave an experience in games that people didnt think was possible. the characters, the story, the set pieces, the graphics, the gameplay it all mixed together perfectly. 

the set pieces in uncharted 2 are still unmatched in any other game. uncharted 2 brought movie like set pieces to a whole new level, a level where games like assassin's creed, resident evil, splinter cell, max payne, tomb raider, remember me, killzone all tried to mimick. 

characte driven games were also all influenced by UC2, naughty dog basically showed the industry how its done, and from that point forward a ton of games have tried to copy and learn from their style. 

UC2 also made major breakthroughs in terms of technology, the DOTS (dynamic object traversal system) is probably the biggest innovation in game and level desgin in the entire generation. 

the "centimatic" experience has changed dramtically since UC2, its growth in the industry has been rapid ever since UC2's success. thats undeniable. now i made a thread about whether naughty dog can change the industry twice in the same generation, a lot of developers have made huge changes to the industry, but i cant think of any who did it in the same gen. thats the entire reason for this thread

I'm not going to argue with you based on your loose ass definition of the word fact. Besides, I was more or less trying to tell you why you were taking flak from some people for your post. 

Anyhow. Nintendo with Mario 64 and Zelda OoT comes to mind

but If you're 22 your too young to remember