By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Namco on Dark Souls 2 marketing: "treating it as a massive AAA title, would be nice to attract Skyrim players"

They really said balls deep. LOL, hahahaha.

Too many of these games are coming out too late in the PS3 life cycle. I want to get it, but I'm hoping they rerelease it for the PS4; it seems like it would be much better as a PS4 launch title.

I also think this game has the potential to be a much bigger game than its predecessor. I'm not saying they should change the entire game design to accomodate different consumers; but I think anything that maintains the forumla but still enhances elements for broader appeal is warranted.

One the things that was amazing in Dark Souls was the story; the problem is that story is buried in layers and layers of obscure presentaion. Now I think thats one areas they've said will recieve more exposure. I'm sure it will be great if done properly, yet still true to From Software roots. And I'm pretty keen on knowing what else From Software have up their sleeve, since the creator of the series isn't working on this game, hes working on something else; hopefully a new RPG to rival FF.

Around the Network

When I first played Demon's and Dark Souls, I knew going in what the point of the series was; a punishing rewarding RPG experience. It was not going to play like any other game or series I had played before.

If they allow easy mode, then disable online play so these guys can love their easy mode.

After 450hrs between both games, I have not wished for pausing. Though its not a big issue.

IMO of course. And I'd go as far as saying the fanbase' as well.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

^ Yeah I never cared for pausing either. 

I liked the Way to find the story. Its pretty much the polar opposite of Ni No Kuni. Instead of hours of cutscenes just from starting up the game or going to point a to point b, You have to work for the little details and come up with conclusions yourself and discuss among others. Basically fitting pieces into the puzzle and yeah they said they'll make it a little easier to find but still sticking to basically the same way of getting the story/lore.

Mr Khan said:
Good for them, but it would be super-nice if they could, you know, treat their other RPGs like this

If only.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

yo_john117 said:

If they add different difficulty levels, have a more standardized save system, and allow for pausing the game whilst in single player, then I will give this series another chance.

Demons Souls and Dark Souls had so much potential but the lack of the above made the games quite simply unplayable for me.

Pfft, you just couldn't handle the heat.

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
spurgeonryan said:
I was just going to say what Yo_john said. The difficulty has to be customizable. Beat it on hard and get something really cool, but have the option for easy as well. Might help.

But that won't work!  The game is built around an invading/summoning system that requires a set difficulty level.  I am tired of difficulty settings in all open world and RPG games.  Certain games are meant to be played a certain way, and making it so you can sponge bullets or die in one hit is pointless.

This is how the game is meant to be played!

P.S. You can save, just quit!  It is saving constantly!

The invading part didn't work at all for me and I hated it. Since I didn't know what I was doing at first I levelled up too fast which is quite pointless in Dark souls as I found out later. Thus the game constantly matched me with people with end game gear and weapons. I could stab them for 1% of their health, while they only needed to wave their fully upgraded magic weapon at me for 70% of my health.
So every time the msg popped up I simply logged off from psn, which saves the game and boots you to the start screen, logged back in and continued where I left off.

Do you think that is preferable to an option to turn invasions off?

PS Co-op didn't work either because of the dumb match making. I summon help and mr. ng++ comes to slay my first run bell tower monster before I could even get on the roof. That was good game design, not. It was a great game with horrible match making.

The game tricked me one time though, invader alert, I log off, invader is still there. It was a scripted one, and one I could actually fight and stand a chance against. Great moment.

Fix the matchmaking, make it work with difficulty levels and actual capabilities of characters.

yo_john117 said:
SnakeDrake said:
yo_john117 said:

If they add different difficulty levels, have a more standardized save system, and allow for pausing the game whilst in single player, then I will give this series another chance.

Demons Souls and Dark Souls had so much potential but the lack of the above made the games quite simply unplayable for me.

If they added the things you mentioned then i will abandon the series. 

Honestly, that's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of. Since when did options become such a sin in gaming?

For masochistic people like you (which I am assuming that you are since you are a fan of the absurd difficulty from the game :P ), the game would be just as hard as before.

Whining about these options is just as pointless as whining about all of the optional assists in the recent Forza games. Having them there does not affect you in any way whatsoever. It's actually quite a selfish notion to have the mindset that only you (and others like you, obviously) are allowed to have fun with the game.

+1. Well said. I love the atmosphere and would like to play but i don't have the time and patience for it. 

green_sky said:
yo_john117 said:
SnakeDrake said:
yo_john117 said:

Honestly, that's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of. Since when did options become such a sin in gaming?

For masochistic people like you (which I am assuming that you are since you are a fan of the absurd difficulty from the game :P ), the game would be just as hard as before.

Whining about these options is just as pointless as whining about all of the optional assists in the recent Forza games. Having them there does not affect you in any way whatsoever. It's actually quite a selfish notion to have the mindset that only you (and others like you, obviously) are allowed to have fun with the game.

+1. Well said. I love the atmosphere and would like to play but i don't have the time and patience for it. 

B-but you're not allowed to love the game for its atmosphere, story, ect.! It's completely and utterly defined by brutal difficulty. [/sarcasm]

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

yo_john117 said:
SnakeDrake said:
yo_john117 said:

Perfect comment. i'd probably insist on the hard but waht's the difference if others can adjust difficulty? and a system like tales of symphonia, where you can change difficulty anytime would be nice. if a part of the game is really infuriating you could lower the challenge on that part alone and them keep going on hard after that.

F0X said:
green_sky said:
yo_john117 said:
SnakeDrake said:
yo_john117 said:

Honestly, that's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of. Since when did options become such a sin in gaming?

Whining about these options is just as pointless as whining about all of the optional assists in the recent Forza games. Having them there does not affect you in any way whatsoever. It's actually quite a selfish notion to have the mindset that only you (and others like you, obviously) are allowed to have fun with the game.

B-but you're not allowed to love the game for its atmosphere, story, ect.! It's completely and utterly defined by brutal difficulty. [/sarcasm]

without the brutal difficulty that atmosphere wouldn't exsist. 

KylieDog said:
Why do people call things like no pause ability challenging? That is not actual challenge, is bad game design.

Lol who said Not pausing is apart of the challenege? I never even needed to pause and didn't even notice it.

Sure I can see why people would like to pause in offline mode but it isn't a deal breaker..not for me atleast