By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Namco on Dark Souls 2 marketing: "treating it as a massive AAA title, would be nice to attract Skyrim players"

naruball said:
I think some people who haven't played the game simply don't get it. I despise hard difficulty and always choose normal over hard in any game. When I first played Demon's Souls, I cursed more than I actually played the game. I didn't give up though and after beating my first boss after tons of efforts and a really long time, I got one of the best feelings in the world. Had there been another difficulty, I would have chosen that instead and the game wouldn't have been anything special to me.

It's like having a strict, demanding teacher/supervisor over a normal one. At first you hate them, but then when you improve and do well at their tests/ get compliments from them, it means the world to you. It's also kind of like having the option between a free room in a hotel or camping in a forest. Both sound interesting, but when thinking about the cold, you may choose the comfiness of the hotel, but if you don't have that option and Have to camp outside, you may experience some of the most memorable moments of your life.

You do bring up a valid point (the first good one I've seen in this thread).

Let's be honest though, you probably would have played it again on the hardest difficulty after playing it through on normal, right?

When it comes to something important such as school, work, or a serious life issue, I definitely do not give up even if something seems impossible. But for gaming; I do that for fun. For me, personally, if I spend the majority of my game time cursing or getting angry/frustrated, then it's just not worth that feeling of accomplishment. 

Everyone likes different games and plays in a different way. Why can't we just accept that fact?

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
naruball said:
I think some people who haven't played the game simply don't get it. I despise hard difficulty and always choose normal over hard in any game. When I first played Demon's Souls, I cursed more than I actually played the game. I didn't give up though and after beating my first boss after tons of efforts and a really long time, I got one of the best feelings in the world. Had there been another difficulty, I would have chosen that instead and the game wouldn't have been anything special to me.

It's like having a strict, demanding teacher/supervisor over a normal one. At first you hate them, but then when you improve and do well at their tests/ get compliments from them, it means the world to you. It's also kind of like having the option between a free room in a hotel or camping in a forest. Both sound interesting, but when thinking about the cold, you may choose the comfiness of the hotel, but if you don't have that option and Have to camp outside, you may experience some of the most memorable moments of your life.

Let's be honest though, you probably would have played it again on the hardest difficulty after playing it through on normal, right?

When it comes to something important such as school, work, or a serious life issue, I definitely do not give up even if something seems impossible. But for gaming; I do that for fun. For me, personally, if I spend the majority of my game time cursing or getting angry/frustrated, then it's just not worth that feeling of accomplishment. 

Everyone likes different games and plays in a different way. Why can't we just accept that fact?

As I said in an earlier post. The game is actually pretty easy if you really get into it. The thing is if difficulty was a choice then most people would choose the path of least resistance. Only like 20% of Souls people would go with the hardest imo. The difficulty also goes along with the pvp aspect. As in pvp and you do not have the right gear and you make a mistake then you could get one shotted. So if you went on easy then you could roflstomp your way to all the good gear and then invade all the hardcore people with very little gear.

yo_john117 said:
SnakeDrake said:
yo_john117 said:

If they add different difficulty levels, have a more standardized save system, and allow for pausing the game whilst in single player, then I will give this series another chance.

Demons Souls and Dark Souls had so much potential but the lack of the above made the games quite simply unplayable for me.

If they added the things you mentioned then i will abandon the series. 

Honestly, that's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of. Since when did options become such a sin in gaming?

For masochistic people like you (which I am assuming that you are since you are a fan of the absurd difficulty from the game :P ), the game would be just as hard as before.

Whining about these options is just as pointless as whining about all of the optional assists in the recent Forza games. Having them there does not affect you in any way whatsoever. It's actually quite a selfish notion to have the mindset that only you (and others like you, obviously) are allowed to have fun with the game.

but there is absolutly no way to add the "option" of a lower difficulty without completely destroying the franchise.

..believe it or not but the game is easy as hell.   they could add an option to give you 10x the life and you know what..  you still wouldn't think the game was any easier.  the game is based on extreemly highly scripted enemy AI that is really punishing in one way and completely vulnerable in some other.   at it's core it is a puzzle game: when to attach and when to block, where to hide for saftey, timing, spell/element vulernability, hidden weakspots, subtle world cues, and an amazing souls/player interaction to help you learn from other's mistakes.  learn how to exploit each enemy type and win. 

first play though, i died a million times.  second play though, dying is purely about being careless.

you don't like the game.  fine.  but changing it's difficulty would be like a mario game without jumping.  it wouldn't be the same gameplay.  it would be just a generic third person action game.

yo_john117 said:
naruball said:

i absolutely can accept that.  so please go play a different franchise more suitable to your tastes and let me enjoy my game.

yo_john117 said:
naruball said:

I get what you're saying, but I hate hard mode just as much as you do. My best friend bought this game for me and I only played it in order to properly thank him for it. Because of the difficulty, I didn't want to play it at all (so did not even cosnider buying myself). I still don't see the point of hard mode for me personally, so I'm with you.

BUT, Demon's Souls is an exception and I can only say this now, after having played it. If they make Dark Souls 2 easier, I suggest you don't bother with the game at all. Like several of us pointed out, it's nothing special. The difficulty makes the experience unique. When I play Demon's Souls, I turn off the lights, make sure that my flatmate is asleep or away and really get in the moment. All the dark areas become terrifying, because if you die, you lose 40 minutes of your life. The fear of death from a damn monster hidden somewhere makes you appreciate all the little sounds, the music, the light (or lack of) etc. If you have a respawn point somewhere close, the battle, the darkness, the enemies have nothing to offer to you. They lose all their magic. I know this doesn't make sense to you and I'm sure some people who have played it don't necessarily agree with me, but I do think that the majority does feel this way.

So, I'm just gonna say this one last time. I hate difficult games. I don't feel entitled and if they make an easier more, I won't think "them casuals ruining my game". I'll just know that that mode will ruin what makes this game special. I don't know if you've played Journey, but it's like taking away the random players you come across. It's also like playing Journey to get to the end instead of enjoying the journey (what you experience till you get there).

Around the Network
naruball said:

It's also like playing Journey to get to the end instead of enjoying the journey (what you experience till you get there).

Perfect analogy. 

When I read the title I instantly thought they were going after the Call of Duty crowed. But then I read the article and noticed they mentioned Skryim. Makes more sense. Good idea.

naruball said:

I played the game, new game+ and a third round for a  bit until I got bored. And I don't get the fuss about changing difficulty. I got stuck a couple of times, didn't give up but unlike you I didn't get a sense of achievement, only a sense of wasted time before I could get on with exploring again. I don't care about tests or compliments anymore, I know what I like and what I don't, just let me enjoy the game the way I want to? What does it take away from your experience if there is an option to skip a boss or lower the difficulty temporarily?

I still don't like the Capra Demon, Ornstein and Smogg, the 4 kings and the bed of chaos. Annoying encounters that only took away from fun game time for me, no sense of achievement whatsoever after finally beating them. Also the reason I didn't bother with the DLC, having to go through those again.

Thaimasker said:
naruball said:

It's also like playing Journey to get to the end instead of enjoying the journey (what you experience till you get there).

Perfect analogy. 

Not really. First play through I pushed on forward to see the story. That got me interested and another 19 play throughs followed exploring every nook and cranny, trying all kinds of different things with different people. The best thing about Journey is you are free to play it the way you want.

KylieDog said:
Rafux said:
If you want to pause just quit the game to the title screen or stay in a bonfire

Like I said, bad game design. 

bro just let it go u have been going on about this since forever lol xd