By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Namco on Dark Souls 2 marketing: "treating it as a massive AAA title, would be nice to attract Skyrim players"

If you want to pause just quit the game to the title screen or stay in a bonfire, actually why don't you learn to play the game first.

I really hope From doesn't casualise Dark Souls 2 just look at that disastrous bomb called DmC.

Around the Network
Thaimasker said:
F0X said:
green_sky said:

+1. Well said. I love the atmosphere and would like to play but i don't have the time and patience for it. 

B-but you're not allowed to love the game for its atmosphere, story, ect.! It's completely and utterly defined by brutal difficulty. [/sarcasm]

without the brutal difficulty that atmosphere wouldn't exsist. 

Not necessarily true. The aesthetics of the game would still be grim and depressing regardless of actual difficulty.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

KylieDog said:
Why do people call things like no pause ability challenging? That is not actual challenge, is bad game design.

I don't think anyone has stated that the lack of a pause is there to make the game more challenging.  I think they haven't included one in the previous games because the game is designed first and foremost as an online game (access to messages, summoning, invading, etc.), where pause may be difficult to implement because the player is potentially connected to other players.  Perhaps they could include a pause feature in the offline mode, but honestly, you can easily quit the game and save your progress exactly where you left off during most occasions.  If you really have to leave the game during a boss fight, the penalties for death aren't nearly as bad as they were in Demon's Souls (which had fewer checkpoints and a reduction in health in soul form).

You guys are totaling missing the key point here. Having different difficulty's would not effect you. It just wouldn't. You guys would still be playing on the hardest difficulty (or rather "classic" difficulty which would play just like Dark Souls) and nothing would be lost for atmosphere. Not a single thing would change for people that want it to be just like Demons/Dark souls.

But for people like me, we would also get to enjoy the game because of the different difficulty system and whatnot.

And honestly the people that are saying that having different difficulties would hamper the atmosphere of the game on lower difficulties are acting incredibly selfish and arrogant. You have no right whatsoever to dictate whether or not I would enjoy something.

What do you think I will enjoy more. A game that I can't play (sure I could beat it if I gave it enough time but I HATE redoing levels/sections over and over again. The difficulty in those two games is just a sad excuse to make the game longer) and end up not getting very far despite finding the gameplay very fun or a game that I can beat fully without giving it the stupid amount of time and I still find the gameplay and atmosphere fun.

This type of entitlement is exactly what is wrong with "core" gamers. You guys think a game is only allowed to cater to your distinct, exact needs. It's madness.

KylieDog said:
Why do people call things like no pause ability challenging? That is not actual challenge, is bad game design.

As a Monster Hunter fan, i disagree. You have to earn your respite.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

I think some people who haven't played the game simply don't get it. I despise hard difficulty and always choose normal over hard in any game. When I first played Demon's Souls, I cursed more than I actually played the game. I didn't give up though and after beating my first boss after tons of efforts and a really long time, I got one of the best feelings in the world. Had there been another difficulty, I would have chosen that instead and the game wouldn't have been anything special to me.

It's like having a strict, demanding teacher/supervisor over a normal one. At first you hate them, but then when you improve and do well at their tests/ get compliments from them, it means the world to you. It's also kind of like having the option between a free room in a hotel or camping in a forest. Both sound interesting, but when thinking about the cold, you may choose the comfiness of the hotel, but if you don't have that option and Have to camp outside, you may experience some of the most memorable moments of your life.

F0X said:
Thaimasker said:
F0X said:
green_sky said:

+1. Well said. I love the atmosphere and would like to play but i don't have the time and patience for it. 

B-but you're not allowed to love the game for its atmosphere, story, ect.! It's completely and utterly defined by brutal difficulty. [/sarcasm]

without the brutal difficulty that atmosphere wouldn't exsist. 

Not necessarily true. The aesthetics of the game would still be grim and depressing regardless of actual difficulty.

Aesthetics /=/ atmosphere. DS isn't about sitting there and soaking up the view. Don't even try to argue that Difficulty/achivement isn't the bread and butter and the major selling point about the game. as for the lore. That itself is hard to find and pick apart. If you don't have the patience and time to play the game well then you surely won't to figure out the lore by yourself

KylieDog said:
Rafux said:
If you want to pause just quit the game to the title screen or stay in a bonfire

Like I said, bad game design. 

It adds stress to the game and it would not work if you are playing online, the souls series have a little bit of survival horror too and not being able to pause enhance the feeling of always being treated.

naruball said:
I think some people who haven't played the game simply don't get it. I despise hard difficulty and always choose normal over hard in any game. When I first played Demon's Souls, I cursed more than I actually played the game. I didn't give up though and after beating my first boss after tons of efforts and a really long time, I got one of the best feelings in the world. Had there been another difficulty, I would have chosen that instead and the game wouldn't have been anything special to me.

It's like having a strict, demanding teacher/supervisor over a normal one. At first you hate them, but then when you improve and do well at their tests/ get compliments from them, it means the world to you. It's also kind of like having the option between a free room in a hotel or camping in a forest. Both sound interesting, but when thinking about the cold, you may choose the comfiness of the hotel, but if you don't have that option and Have to camp outside, you may experience some of the most memorable moments of your life.

Yep. I don't think  1 person here that has beat the game would disagree. 

Without the difficulty/achivement  DS wouldn't be anything special. Plain and simple...Unless your really into the lore which most people that would pick easy wouldn't even be willing/able to figure out.

SvennoJ said:
Captain_Tom said:
spurgeonryan said:
I was just going to say what Yo_john said. The difficulty has to be customizable. Beat it on hard and get something really cool, but have the option for easy as well. Might help.

But that won't work!  The game is built around an invading/summoning system that requires a set difficulty level.  I am tired of difficulty settings in all open world and RPG games.  Certain games are meant to be played a certain way, and making it so you can sponge bullets or die in one hit is pointless.

This is how the game is meant to be played!

P.S. You can save, just quit!  It is saving constantly!

The invading part didn't work at all for me and I hated it. Since I didn't know what I was doing at first I levelled up too fast which is quite pointless in Dark souls as I found out later. Thus the game constantly matched me with people with end game gear and weapons. I could stab them for 1% of their health, while they only needed to wave their fully upgraded magic weapon at me for 70% of my health.
So every time the msg popped up I simply logged off from psn, which saves the game and boots you to the start screen, logged back in and continued where I left off.

Do you think that is preferable to an option to turn invasions off?

PS Co-op didn't work either because of the dumb match making. I summon help and mr. ng++ comes to slay my first run bell tower monster before I could even get on the roof. That was good game design, not. It was a great game with horrible match making.

The game tricked me one time though, invader alert, I log off, invader is still there. It was a scripted one, and one I could actually fight and stand a chance against. Great moment.

Fix the matchmaking, make it work with difficulty levels and actual capabilities of characters.

There were issues with the servers early on; they were fixed via a patch.

If you want to avoid being invaded play in hollow form or offline.  That’s the risk you take by playing un-hollowed which is a design decision.

Some of the people who had 'end game gear' (I wouldn't call it that) were using the bottomless box glitch, which has been patched.  Those players are called low level griefers and are frowned upon by most souls players.  Also its possible that players beat the game at a low level and obtained that gear legitimately.

I believe From is going back to a single dedicated server which will improve the online aspect of the game.