By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bioshock Infinite 3.7million shipped

echoesfromthepast said:
Slimebeast said:
echoesfromthepast said:
Slimebeast said:
echoesfromthepast said:
I watched that game too - fairly decent as far as movies go

Do you often decide to watch the games on YouTube instead of playing them?

I didn't watch it on youtube, I played it. I was taking a jab at the game itself but apparently I attracted a lot of negative attention because of it

Ahhh... could you elaborate on that jab?

I hate cinematic games too, at least those who hold your hand. I really hope Bioshock Infinity isn't such a game.

Sure - I played the game on PC and here is my real-quick assessment.
It's extremely linear and extremely cinematic. Lots of people like that and I get that. But linear cinematic games make me feel like I'm just watching and not doing. I play video games to experience. Not to watch. Now, it was a beautiful game. But I value gameplay in my games and this one was just a room-to-room shoot-em-up with a four hour story painted on it.

It was a beautiful game though and had a high production value - the heroine was likeable - I think that might be what hooked a lot of people.

Each to their own but I can't agree with this either. I played it on PC as well, and it really isn't that cinematic, very rarely was the gameplay dragged away from me. The only annoying cinematics was when I tried a new vigor, but that could be skipped so wasn't too much a problem. When I think of cinematic games, I think of MGS4 and to an extent Uncharted.

And 4 hours, thats BS. I spend 30 hours on the first run through, which admittently was with a fair bit of exploring (which you obviously didn't do as you wouldn't have described it as a room-to-room shooter either) but its a game with enough content and story that its worth doing that exploring. 

My only real beef with the game was actually with its story which was clunky in parts, though for an FPS pretty good. To anyone thinking of buying or renting this game, it really isn't as echoesfromthepast described it, it wouldn't have got the Metacritic score if it was. 

Oh and if you're finding the enemies are bullet sponges, then turn the difficulty up.

Around the Network
Player1x3 said:
Slimebeast said:
Quite bad for such a highly praised iconic game.

Almost 4 million in less than 2 months is bad?

He must work for Square Enix.  If they owned COD they'd say it's below expectations.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Same as Tomb Raider, but probably with profits

I hate this game - it's a trash picking simulator and a clunky shooter. I would never pay 6 usd for this game let alone 60! Bioshock series is the most overrated this gen. I understand that 1 and 2 are liked for the survival horror but Infinite has nothing going for it.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

kowenicki said:
and yet apparently you did?

I borrowed it.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network
m0ney said:
I hate this game - it's a trash picking simulator and a clunky shooter. I would never pay 6 usd for this game let alone 60! Bioshock series is the most overrated this gen. I understand that 1 and 2 are liked for the survival horror but Infinite has nothing going for it.

At least it has m0ney going for it. 

kowenicki said:
Slimebeast said:
Quite bad for such a highly praised iconic game.

“enjoyed significantly higher first month sell-through than any other BioShock release.”

Yes but that was very much expected since it's a sequel to a surprise hit back in 2007 when the first Bioshock released on a smaller console install base and during a slow season (August if I remember correctly). Sales of highly anticipated sequels are more frontloaded.

IMO this should have shipped more than Borderlands 2 which I think is a good comparison. And certainly deserved to ship and sell a lot more than that game.

Someone compared the numbers to Max Payn3 3, which was a game that underperformed.

Slimebeast said:
echoesfromthepast said:
Slimebeast said:
echoesfromthepast said:
Slimebeast said:
echoesfromthepast said:
I watched that game too - fairly decent as far as movies go

Do you often decide to watch the games on YouTube instead of playing them?

I didn't watch it on youtube, I played it. I was taking a jab at the game itself but apparently I attracted a lot of negative attention because of it

I hate cinematic games too, at least those who hold your hand. I really hope Bioshock Infinity isn't such a game.

It's extremely linear and extremely cinematic. Lots of people like that and I get that. But linear cinematic games make me feel like I'm just watching and not doing. I play video games to experience. Not to watch. Now, it was a beautiful game. But I value gameplay in my games and this one was just a room-to-room shoot-em-up with a four hour story painted on it.

It was a beautiful game though and had a high production value - the heroine was likeable - I think that might be what hooked a lot of people.

Sad to hear this beacuse I had anticipated a fantastic experience with Bioshok Infinite, but I value gameplay in my games too.

There is a high probability that you'll love it because the majority of people seem to love it. Might have something to do with the current generation of gamers here - so ignore me - I've just become extremely critical of video games in my post-xenoblade life. Ever since I started analyzing my experiences - I blame extracredits

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

echoesfromthepast said:

There is a high probability that you'll love it because the majority of people seem to love it. Might have something to do with the current generation of gamers here - so ignore me - I've just become extremely critical of video games in my post-xenoblade life. Ever since I started analyzing my experiences - I blame extracredits

Thanks echoes for the post. I'll remember not to pick up Xenoblade. Seems like too good of a game. Could ruin my future interactive entertainment experiences.

echoesfromthepast said:
Slimebeast said:
echoesfromthepast said:
Slimebeast said:

Sad to hear this beacuse I had anticipated a fantastic experience with Bioshok Infinite, but I value gameplay in my games too.

I am happy it opened your eyes. I am one of the more vocal critics of the trends in modern games too and we need more awareness on this topic or else games will become even more dumb and cinema-focused. I will definitely still play Bioshock Infinity though as I am still able to sometimes enjoy cinematic experiences for what they are.

Is Extracredits some gaming site?