By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bioshock Infinite 3.7million shipped

Slimebeast said:
echoesfromthepast said:
Slimebeast said:
echoesfromthepast said:
Slimebeast said:

Ahhh... could you elaborate on that jab?

I hate cinematic games too, at least those who hold your hand. I really hope Bioshock Infinity isn't such a game.

Sure - I played the game on PC and here is my real-quick assessment.
It's extremely linear and extremely cinematic. Lots of people like that and I get that. But linear cinematic games make me feel like I'm just watching and not doing. I play video games to experience. Not to watch. Now, it was a beautiful game. But I value gameplay in my games and this one was just a room-to-room shoot-em-up with a four hour story painted on it.

It was a beautiful game though and had a high production value - the heroine was likeable - I think that might be what hooked a lot of people.

Sad to hear this beacuse I had anticipated a fantastic experience with Bioshok Infinite, but I value gameplay in my games too.

There is a high probability that you'll love it because the majority of people seem to love it. Might have something to do with the current generation of gamers here - so ignore me - I've just become extremely critical of video games in my post-xenoblade life. Ever since I started analyzing my experiences - I blame extracredits

I am happy it opened your eyes. I am one of the more vocal critics of the trends in modern games too and we need more awareness on this topic or else games will become even more dumb and cinema-focused. I will definitely still play Bioshock Infinity though as I am still able to sometimes enjoy cinematic experiences for what they are.

Is Extracredits some gaming site?

It's a miniseries that takes a deeper look at games; how they are made, what they mean and how we can make them better. It's really good.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/show/extra-credits

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

Around the Network

I finally found an article that explains my exact thoughts about this game - feel free to give it a quick read if you want to know where I'm coming from with my disappointment about gameplay

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/the-failure-of-bioshock-infinite-writing-games-like-movies/

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032