By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is sony going to learn their lesson with the PS4 and not over price it?

Zero999 said:
Shinobi-san said:
Zero999 said:
Shinobi-san said:

Firstly we dont know the exact break down on the Wii U. So those numbers are total guesses.

And secondly the WiiU is a bad example as most of its cost is in the gamepad. WiiU - Gamepad = signigicantly reduced price.

And i'm not saying the numbers are not plausable, they are. But most people are saying 450 - 499 at a loss? I don't see that happening given what we know about the PS4 components.

But then again my knowledge on retail costs are very limited so maybe everyone else is right

dude, don't make me laugh. the wii u gamepad is more expensive than your regular dualshock but the difference should be 30-35 dollars tops(to fabricate, not retail separetely). i took into consideration that retailers profit about 30% in their sales, wich means they buy wii u for 230. if selling it for 230 means a small loss for nintendo, it should cost them 240-250 to produce. it's not complicated.

also, 499 wouldn't be at a loss, 450 would be some loss and 399 a big loss.

You saying the gamepad isnt the main cost factor for the wiiU? Then what is?

It has the same CPU as the Wii, a low end GPU from the old AMD 6000 series, 2gb cheap DDR3 RAM.

Am i missing something here?  I'm sure there are other costs...but the component costs are the main costs and theres REALLY nothing in the WiiU that costs a lot apart from the Gamepad. Or do you have information that says otherwise?

I stand by my initial statement: The WiiU is a bad example.And again we don't know if WiiU is still sold at a loss. Maybe initially but its been out for a while.

bolded1: the most ridiculous thing i've read in a while. if it was true then congratulations for nintendo for developing in 2000 a cpu stronger than the ones in ps360.

bolded2: the gpu is heavily custumized and nobody really knows wich series it's based on.

bolded 3: 2gb ddr3 RAM + 32mb eDRAM

the controler has the components of a regular controler + camera, speakers, microphone, nfc, motion sensors, touch screen and maybe a more expensive than ususal battery. while the list is long, none of those is really expensive. just imagine a 3ds without a gpu and cpu wich are arguably the most expensive parts. we'd get a machine that could retail at 80-90 dollars at a profit, wich means development cost  is in the 60-70 area. as i stated before, if much, wii u gamepad costs $40 more to produce than a regular controler.

now just remember, what you call cheap 2gb memory is still way more expensive than the 512mb on ps360. what you call low end gpu is still way more expensive than the ones on ps360, same with the cpu. i don't know abot xbox360 price right now but i'm sure it could retail for 150 at a profit, so what's wrong in a new machine with more expensive parts everywhere being 299 at a small loss. wii u price is right.

Dude how is what i said ridiculous?

All rumours point to the WiiU CPU being considerably weak and based on the same CPU as the Wii.

Also the GPU is heavily rumoured to be based on a low end 6000 series AMD gpu. If this info is wrong then please link me correct info, but last i checked this is what the general consensus was on tech forums. Also the games we have seen so far on the Wii U seem to match the specs.

Also @ bolded are you even taking in what you saying, the gamepad has a shit load of stuff more than the usual 360/PS3 controller. I can't see how anyone can argue that the gamepad isnt the main cost factor. Common sense says it is.

And i didnt say the WiiU's price isnt right? I just said its a bad example.

And for the last time, we don't know if the WiiU is still selling at a loss.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
Zero999 said:
Shinobi-san said:
Zero999 said:
Shinobi-san said:

Firstly we dont know the exact break down on the Wii U. So those numbers are total guesses.

And secondly the WiiU is a bad example as most of its cost is in the gamepad. WiiU - Gamepad = signigicantly reduced price.

And i'm not saying the numbers are not plausable, they are. But most people are saying 450 - 499 at a loss? I don't see that happening given what we know about the PS4 components.

But then again my knowledge on retail costs are very limited so maybe everyone else is right

dude, don't make me laugh. the wii u gamepad is more expensive than your regular dualshock but the difference should be 30-35 dollars tops(to fabricate, not retail separetely). i took into consideration that retailers profit about 30% in their sales, wich means they buy wii u for 230. if selling it for 230 means a small loss for nintendo, it should cost them 240-250 to produce. it's not complicated.

also, 499 wouldn't be at a loss, 450 would be some loss and 399 a big loss.

You saying the gamepad isnt the main cost factor for the wiiU? Then what is?

It has the same CPU as the Wii, a low end GPU from the old AMD 6000 series, 2gb cheap DDR3 RAM.

Am i missing something here?  I'm sure there are other costs...but the component costs are the main costs and theres REALLY nothing in the WiiU that costs a lot apart from the Gamepad. Or do you have information that says otherwise?

I stand by my initial statement: The WiiU is a bad example.And again we don't know if WiiU is still sold at a loss. Maybe initially but its been out for a while.

bolded1: the most ridiculous thing i've read in a while. if it was true then congratulations for nintendo for developing in 2000 a cpu stronger than the ones in ps360.

bolded2: the gpu is heavily custumized and nobody really knows wich series it's based on.

the controler has the components of a regular controler + camera, speakers, microphone, nfc, motion sensors, touch screen and maybe a more expensive than ususal battery. while the list is long, none of those is really expensive. just imagine a 3ds without a gpu and cpu wich are arguably the most expensive parts. we'd get a machine that could retail at 80-90 dollars at a profit, wich means development cost  is in the 60-70 area. as i stated before, if much, wii u gamepad costs $40 more to produce than a regular controler.

now just remember, what you call cheap 2gb memory is still way more expensive than the 512mb on ps360. what you call low end gpu is still way more expensive than the ones on ps360, same with the cpu. i don't know abot xbox360 price right now but i'm sure it could retail for 150 at a profit, so what's wrong in a new machine with more expensive parts everywhere being 299 at a small loss. wii u price is right.

All rumours point to the WiiU CPU being considerably weak and based on the same CPU as the Wii.

Also the GPU is heavily rumoured to be based on a low end 6000 series AMD gpu. If this info is wrong then please link me correct info, but last i checked this is what the general consensus was on tech forums. Also the games we have seen so far on the Wii U seem to match the specs.

Also @ bolded are you even taking in what you saying, the gamepad has a shit load of stuff more than the usual 360/PS3 controller. I can't see how anyone can argue that the gamepad isnt the main cost factor. Common sense says it is.

you said the cpu was the SAME as the wii and what exactly is "weak"? because it certainly is more capable than the ones in current consoles, it might not be proporcional to the gpu but it's not weak.I also explained with details why the gamepad doesn't add much to the price and in the end you don't explain why the wii u is a bad example. we have the rumored specs for both systems and the oficial price for one so it's safe to have a rumoured price difference.

Zero999 said:
Shinobi-san said:
Zero999 said:

you said the cpu was the SAME as the wii and what exactly is "weak"? because it certainly is more capable than the ones in current consoles, it might not be proporcional to the gpu but it's not weak.I also explained with details why the gamepad doesn't add much to the price and in the end you don't explain why the wii u is a bad example. we have the rumored specs for both systems and the oficial price for one so it's safe to have a rumoured price difference.

How do you know its more capable than the current gen CPU's? But then again i was the one to say its weak but i cant prove it... I'm just going by the rumours, developers interviews and the games that has released so far. We dont even know how much better the GPU is...but just like the CPU all evidence says its stronger than what current gen has to offer.

And yes, you managed to list all the components of the gamepad but that doesnt mean its cheap? Even with your own calculations $40 more than what current controllers cost would still make the gamepad the single most expensive part in the WiiU would it not? Take out that extra $40 and the wiiU could cost ~$250 (sold at a loss or profit is up for debate, because we both dont know)? And i think your cost estimate of the gamepad is lowballing it.

Its not like they just stuck a shitty screen on a shitty controller. The thing actually has some heft to it and a very good feel in the hand. That doesnt come cheap. The screen is also quite decent. And it must be this way, because this is what Nintendo's main attraction for the console was.

The reason why i said the WiiU is a bad example is because of the gamepad cost. Sony doesnt have an equivalent. It doesnt need more explanation than that. Its just that we disagree on the cost of the gamepad.

Where i do agree with you is that the PS4 will cost more than the WiiU. But i dont think a 450 - 499 pricepoint automatically means a loss for sony. Which is what i had a problem with in my initial post.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:
Zero999 said:

But i dont think a 450 - 499 pricepoint automatically means a loss for sony. Which is what i had a problem with in my initial post.

But  Sony already confirmed that they will take a loss with PS4.

pezus said:
Chris Hu said:
pezus said:
Devil_Survivor said:
pezus said:

Yes, PS4 will launch at $199.

People know that when they buy Sony consoles they are paying for more than having the right to play the games that are on it. Don't expect PS4 to launch at WiiU's price because the console will simply be more expensive to make

What's your reasoning behind that prediction because I haven't seen anyone say it would lanuch at that price point? BTW who is the girl in your video in your sig :)?

Heh, it's not a prediction. Just a small sarcasm

That is Alizée. Congrats, you are the 50th person to ask me! Here's your prize:

Ugh, French is the worst sounding romance language.  Italian is so much better even Spanish is better as long as its not annoying Mexican Mariachi music.  And I'm saying that despite having French ancestry and a French surname.

o.O There is no language here. Just moving images

But I like how French sounds. Especially when the sounds come from hot women

Italian woman are so much hotter.  Also I'm just going to pretend that your avatar is Katy Perry she isn't one of the best female singers either but at least she doesn't sing in French plus that who I though your avatar was at first anyway.

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:

How do you know its more capable than the current gen CPU's? But then again i was the one to say its weak but i cant prove it... I'm just going by the rumours, developers interviews and the games that has released so far. We dont even know how much better the GPU is...but just like the CPU all evidence says its stronger than what current gen has to offer.

And yes, you managed to list all the components of the gamepad but that doesnt mean its cheap? Even with your own calculations $40 more than what current controllers cost would still make the gamepad the single most expensive part in the WiiU would it not? Take out that extra $40 and the wiiU could cost ~$250 (sold at a loss or profit is up for debate, because we both dont know)? And i think your cost estimate of the gamepad is lowballing it.

Its not like they just stuck a shitty screen on a shitty controller. The thing actually has some heft to it and a very good feel in the hand. That doesnt come cheap. The screen is also quite decent. And it must be this way, because this is what Nintendo's main attraction for the console was.

The reason why i said the WiiU is a bad example is because of the gamepad cost. Sony doesnt have an equivalent. It doesnt need more explanation than that. Its just that we disagree on the cost of the gamepad.

Where i do agree with you is that the PS4 will cost more than the WiiU. But i dont think a 450 - 499 pricepoint automatically means a loss for sony. Which is what i had a problem with in my initial post.

bolded: maybe but when you said it's a "major" part of the cost it sounded like wii u would be a lot cheaper if it wasn't the case, and a $50 difference in exchange for a selling point seens a better trade off. 

the price of the controller doesn't make wii u a bad comparison, just disconsider the ps4 hard drive (it will probably have one) and the difference should dissapear. then we can check the price differences of the other parts and the result is the same.

bolded 2: no arguing with that,i think sony could break even at 450 or have a small loss, 499 would have some profit and 399 would already be a big loss.

p.s: almost forgot, it's just common sense the cpu is better than last gen consoles. you can say it's based on the wii cpu but by that same logic we can also say pentium 4 is based on pentium 1/2/3 and that doesn't make it less superior right?

Otakumegane said:
PS4 will be 449-499.

Don't know what it is with people saying 399 when that's obviously a big loss and they are looking at a flat operating net income. Not gonna take huge losses with this thing.

The parts for the PS4 cost $450 or atleast similar parts cost about the same.  Sony also made the comment that sounded like they're going to take a small loss, so the system may very well cost $399.

Zero999 said:

p.s: almost forgot, it's just common sense the cpu is better than last gen consoles. you can say it's based on the wii cpu but by that same logic we can also say pentium 4 is based on pentium 1/2/3 and that doesn't make it less superior right?

Actually the Pentium 4 wasn't based on the Pentium 1, 2 or 3. The Pentium 4 was based upon the Netburst architecture which Intel made from the ground up and that ended up slow, hot and power hungry.
The Pentium 1, 2 and 3 used the P6 architecture which was efficient and at the same clock speed was faster than a Pentium 4, Intel saw this and used the Pentium 3 as the basis for the Pentium M which then eventually evolved into the Core 2 series whilst the Pentium 4/D and hence Netburst Architecture was killed off and never to be seen again. (I.E. Horrible example.)

As for the PowerPC CPU's, we all know they are relatively slow, most generally use In-Order Designs with a relatively long pipeline that can clock heavily, heck the Cell isn't even faster than a 7 year old Core 2 Quad in double precision.
However, what they do provide is great price/performance in the low end, perfect for a cost sensitive device such as a console.

Remember though, it's not the CPU driving the awesome graphics or holding you back to 720P or lower resolutions, it's the GPU and to a lesser extent the Ram.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

kupomogli said:
Otakumegane said:
PS4 will be 449-499.

Don't know what it is with people saying 399 when that's obviously a big loss and they are looking at a flat operating net income. Not gonna take huge losses with this thing.

The parts for the PS4 cost $450 or atleast similar parts cost about the same.  Sony also made the comment that sounded like they're going to take a small loss, so the system may very well cost $399.

retailers need to profit. for the price to be 399 they would have to buy it for much less.

Pemalite said:
Zero999 said:

Actually the Pentium 4 wasn't based on the Pentium 1, 2 or 3. The Pentium 4 was based upon the Netburst architecture which Intel made from the ground up and that ended up slow, hot and power hungry.
The Pentium 1, 2 and 3 used the P6 architecture which was efficient and at the same clock speed was faster than a Pentium 4, Intel saw this and used the Pentium 3 as the basis for the Pentium M which then eventually evolved into the Core 2 series whilst the Pentium 4/D and hence Netburst Architecture was killed off and never to be seen again. (I.E. Horrible example.)

As for the PowerPC CPU's, we all know they are relatively slow, most generally use In-Order Designs with a relatively long pipeline that can clock heavily, heck the Cell isn't even faster than a 7 year old Core 2 Quad in double precision.
However, what they do provide is great price/performance in the low end, perfect for a cost sensitive device such as a console.

Remember though, it's not the CPU driving the awesome graphics or holding you back to 720P or lower resolutions, it's the GPU and to a lesser extent the Ram.

whatever, saying it's based on something else isn't an argument to diminish tech pieces.

about the bolded part: there are 7 billion people in the world and i don't recall any of them asking your opinion about that. try trolling someone else.