By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is sony going to learn their lesson with the PS4 and not over price it?

It's NOT the price, it's the Software.

Thats why I love the Sega Dreamcast & PS2 & DS & 3DS.

I also like the GameCube, but I don't know what the hell the Wii & PS3 was suppose to be before 2012.

Around the Network

My guess for the entry-level model launch price is $399 too.
Premium model at $499-549.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:

They said they wouldn't sale it more then $599.99¢, so I'm thinking that there will be a $599.99¢ model as well.

Well, we will know soon enough come E3 about pricing and release date and so fort.

I'm loving side-by-side comparison going down in E3 2K13, between PS4 & Wii U & 720, with both the PS4 & 720 making their first time appearance.

I don't think it is so much about price. Sony has to deliver the right product for the market. PS3 and Vita both were in a bad position when they launched.

When the PS3 launched it was not very impressive. The 360 had games that looked on par, and in some cases better, it had a much better network, and a much smoother UI. So not only was the 360 cheaper, it also seemed like a better product.

In the case of the Vita, I have said for a long time it would sell like crap. It is competing directly with the smartphone market, and there is no phone version of it. People already have smartphones that get madden, and COD like games every year, they also get games like plants v zombies, and angry birds. Most people don't have room to carry a wallet, a phone, and a handheld, so they will just be satisfied with what there phone offers. Now if they were to offer it as a phone, then we would see a major change in sales. That would make it a more popular device, and would even help the sales of the stand alone unit.

With PS4 Sony looks to have hit the nail on the head. A great mix of hardware, a very capable UI, and massive software support. Even at $499 people will see how much of an improvement this is over PS3/360. There is nothing else in this segment that provides a service beyond what we will see from PS4 and XB3. I also expect to see much more focused marketing this time around, so people will actually have an idea of what this thing is about.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
I don't think it is so much about price. Sony has to deliver the right product for the market. PS3 and Vita both were in a bad position when they launched.

When the PS3 launched it was not very impressive. The 360 had games that looked on par, and in some cases better, it had a much better network, and a much smoother UI. So not only was the 360 cheaper, it also seemed like a better product.

In the case of the Vita, I have said for a long time it would sell like crap. It is competing directly with the smartphone market, and there is no phone version of it. People already have smartphones that get madden, and COD like games every year, they also get games like plants v zombies, and angry birds. Most people don't have room to carry a wallet, a phone, and a handheld, so they will just be satisfied with what there phone offers. Now if they were to offer it as a phone, then we would see a major change in sales. That would make it a more popular device, and would even help the sales of the stand alone unit.

With PS4 Sony looks to have hit the nail on the head. A great mix of hardware, a very capable UI, and massive software support. Even at $499 people will see how much of an improvement this is over PS3/360. There is nothing else in this segment that provides a service beyond what we will see from PS4 and XB3. I also expect to see much more focused marketing this time around, so people will actually have an idea of what this thing is about.

Well, with the Vita it has the same features as the 3DS for gaming, but the 3DS has more features like Play coins & 3D & virtual surround sound Speakerphones for when you don't use the 6 speaker sound earphone jack.

And the 3rd party support has their reasons......the PICA200 does 160 million triangles while the PS Vita GPU does 140 million triangles. They both got 4-core 1 GHz CPUs but the Vita uses a AMD CPU which is the worse kind of 3rd party CPU you can use, but it's also the cheapest.

But the PS Vita is more familiar to work on, which already has its games pushing up to 133 million triangles like Uncharted Golden Abyss, while Resident Evil: Revelations 3D polygon count only push up to 130 million triangles. But as developers get more familiar sI the PICA200 they will be able to push more. right now 3DS games like Star Fox 64 3D & Kid Icarus: Uprising pushes more then 100 million polygons. Nano Assault EX pushes a good amount of polygons too. Plus the both got Standard Defintion graphics so that doesn't help.

At the end of the day it's really about the Library of games, i.e. PS2 & DS & 3DS. Everything else is worthless, unless you introduce mainstream motion gaming & mainstream glasses-free 3D gaming, but introducing new mainstream features only works the first time. Luckily the 3DS has the best of all worlds down the line, including upcoming full 3D movies to purchase to watch on it, plus upcoming 3D Streaming movie library from Hulu Plus.

Around the Network
Kaizar said:

And the 3rd party support has their reasons......the PICA200 does 160 million triangles while the PS Vita GPU does 140 million triangles. They both got 4-core 1 GHz CPUs but the Vita uses a AMD CPU which is the worse kind of 3rd party CPU you can use, but it's also the cheapest.

It has an ARM CPU. Not an AMD CPU, they are very very very different beasts.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

£299 UK price point.. that would be perfect.

JGarret said:
Overpriced =/= expensive.

The PS3 was expensive, not overpriced.

THIS...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Kaizar said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

They said they wouldn't sale it more then $599.99¢, so I'm thinking that there will be a $599.99¢ model as well.

Well, we will know soon enough come E3 about pricing and release date and so fort.

I'm loving side-by-side comparison going down in E3 2K13, between PS4 & Wii U & 720, with both the PS4 & 720 making their first time appearance.

Oh, I didn't read that statement...
Well, unless they were just self-ironic, it could make sense: as long as they offer also an entry-level model not exceeding $400 (at most $450 if they are willing to sacrifice a little bit of sales in exchange of not selling HW at a loss since the start), an expensive premium model will just generate more revenue without damaging sales numbers.

Despite being a PC gamer, I'm very interested too, PS4 and XB720 HW, with some more MHz and GB RAM to make up for PC's lower efficiency, will become a sure-fire value gaming PC config, able to give 8th gen console performances and make happy whoever just wants PC's flexibility, general purpose and low SW price without needing also high-end performances, and all this with a low power consumption that during 7th gen was achievable only sacrificing performances down to little more than entry-level.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!