By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - CVG writer says “there are some really special things lined up for Wii U

Argh.

Pokemon releases on October. Looks like I'm skipping 3D Mario for a couple months.

Prolly getting WWHD instead.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network
Otakumegane said:
Argh.

Pokemon releases on October. Looks like I'm skipping 3D Mario for a couple months.

Prolly getting WWHD instead.

What the fuck is Nintendo thinking? How am I supposed to buy all these games this year???

I hope my christmas bonus will be good...

i cant wait... seriously... i cant... i might go back to the sony's side on HC :/

Wind Waker HD - day one buy for sure

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

Chark said:
cunger said:

I was never really worried about the system....  Nintendo soft launches their systems now but does it before competition arrives and this way they can sort out the bugs and then released the killer apps versus their competitors launches.  It's a reasonable strategy.

Well that's not true. Wii, Gamecube, N64. They might have managed it with Wii U, but its the expection.

They did this with the 3DS

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

Around the Network

there is nothing less special than a new mario for a nintendo console.
like a gran turismo for playstation or halo for xbox.

a new miyamoto ip would be something special.

tres said:

that may be the case but gamers christmas is e3 lol.

Thanks for this analogy idea, now I know how to phrase this.

If E3 is Christmas for gamers, Nintendo is skipping the chimney this year and coming through the front door. It's not as flashy, it won't feel as magical, but at least we still get the presents.

cunger said:
Chark said:
cunger said:

I was never really worried about the system....  Nintendo soft launches their systems now but does it before competition arrives and this way they can sort out the bugs and then released the killer apps versus their competitors launches.  It's a reasonable strategy.

Well that's not true. Wii, Gamecube, N64. They might have managed it with Wii U, but its the expection.

I never claimed that they used to do soft launches.  I'm saying that they now do softlaunches. It's the 3ds strategy all over again. That much is quite obvious.  The wii was a success a lot sooner than they expected it to be. But even the Wii had several promised features which were not yet available when the console launched.   Thanks to a controller that an idiot could try once and love and the delay of a gamecube zelda game the system was an instant success.

I guess if you count 3DS. That strategy isn't that great in my opinion. The competition could be launching with a really strong software lineup, they would have to also be doing soft launches for Nintendo's strategy to be effective. As for working out bugs, that was probably the best for Nintendo, but Sony and MS aren't heading into this gen with limited experience to the level of hardware they are pushing. Their online infastructures are established and the consoles will be fully tested before launch. There could still be bugs, but I think they are better set up to handle them. It's good Nintendo is priming itself up to compete this holiday rather than going in blind or something, but it will be hard for them to go head to head. Two console launches and Wii U remarketing, what a crazy year this will be.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

*crossfinger* New Starfox release in the Fall. :3

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Chark said:
cunger said:
Chark said:
cunger said:

I never claimed that they used to do soft launches.  I'm saying that they now do softlaunches. It's the 3ds strategy all over again. That much is quite obvious.  The wii was a success a lot sooner than they expected it to be. But even the Wii had several promised features which were not yet available when the console launched.   Thanks to a controller that an idiot could try once and love and the delay of a gamecube zelda game the system was an instant success.

I guess if you count 3DS. That strategy isn't that great in my opinion. The competition could be launching with a really strong software lineup, they would have to also be doing soft launches for Nintendo's strategy to be effective. As for working out bugs, that was probably the best for Nintendo, but Sony and MS aren't heading into this gen with limited experience to the level of hardware they are pushing. Their online infastructures are established and the consoles will be fully tested before launch. There could still be bugs, but I think they are better set up to handle them. It's good Nintendo is priming itself up to compete this holiday rather than going in blind or something, but it will be hard for them to go head to head. Two console launches and Wii U remarketing, what a crazy year this will be.

It's true that it appears to be a challange for Nintendo but I'm not convinced it will be. Sony and Microsoft will be launching much more expensive systems and systems that you will want to pay a subscription fee if you buy them. Not too many people think about spending 600 dollars (games included) on launch day for a system and are going to cheap out on the subscription fee.  Also there is a limited supply of consoles which you can ship in a launch window. I also understand that Nintendo will start their push well in advance of the ps4/durango launches. 3D Mario will arrive before October and I think these consoles usually launch mid to late november. If they also have a compelling bundle with New Super Mario Bros and a white wiiu console for 299.99 or less I think you'll see Nintendo acheive success here.   The reason question is how well the 360 and ps3 can can versus wiiu this Christmas if Sony and Microsoft is marketing their new expensive consoles and Nintendo is highly great games for Wiiu.  These consumers aren't going to buy a launch day expensive system and may very well turn to wiiu.