By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What 3rd party exclusives can MS realistically buy for Next Xbox

What developer / publisher will MS most likely pay for exclusives?

EA 62 40.26%

Activision 27 17.53%

Ubisoft 2 1.30%

Bethesda 12 7.79%

Capcom 4 2.60%

Square Enix 5 3.25%

Epic 21 13.64%

2K 5 3.25%

Other 15 9.74%

Total:153

Should have included an option for "all of them".

I can see MS paying every single big publisher for exclusive content, whether it's full fledged games or just timed exclusive/platform exclusive DLC.

MS has already made the Xbox "the" CoD platform. Without buying outright exclusive access to the game, they can bring the same kind of deal to EA for Battlefield, Rockstar for GTA again, Bethesda for their games again, Epic for more exclusive content, etc etc. Outright exclusive games would be the best deal for them but only for the biggest of titles.

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
Wright said:
Almost none that you've listed up there. I remember they tried with Epic, but they weren't successful.

It would be cool if they get their hands on Capcom.

They were successful with Epic.....they locked down Gears of War last gen.

Im not asking if MS is buying the developer lol. Im asking which of those developers / publishers theyll pay for an exclusive.  It could be any of those.

Oh! Didn't get you xD I thought it was unrealistic to buy any company of the above xD

I still think they could with Capcom. After all, 360 games tend to get exclusive content from Capcom.

crissindahouse said:

i have no clue which developer they will pay money to get an exclusive but if we talk about which games, probably new ips where the publisher doesn't really know if it will be a huge success or not to be safe with some extra cash but i think if microsoft will pay for more as one exclusive game they will be only timed exclusive (maybe one year). that would be cheaper for microsoft and would be also better for the publisher if that game will be a huge success on xbox because they surely want to make more games then and sell them on every console which would be bad without the first game on the system.

but i don't think ubisoft since they get already a lot of money from sony for exclusive content in their games.

MS does have a collection of IPs they could farm out to some prolific third party developer to make games for them.  I doubt MS will be able to get an established IP exclusive for anything more than a few months.  As for Ubisoft, never count out money.  Money solves a lot of relationships especially if UB has a new IP they would like to kick off with someone else money.

Machiavellian said:
crissindahouse said:

i have no clue which developer they will pay money to get an exclusive but if we talk about which games, probably new ips where the publisher doesn't really know if it will be a huge success or not to be safe with some extra cash but i think if microsoft will pay for more as one exclusive game they will be only timed exclusive (maybe one year). that would be cheaper for microsoft and would be also better for the publisher if that game will be a huge success on xbox because they surely want to make more games then and sell them on every console which would be bad without the first game on the system.

but i don't think ubisoft since they get already a lot of money from sony for exclusive content in their games.

MS does have a collection of IPs they could farm out to some prolific third party developer to make games for them.  I doubt MS will be able to get an established IP exclusive for anything more than a few months.  As for Ubisoft, never count out money.  Money solves a lot of relationships especially if UB has a new IP they would like to kick off with someone else money.

yeah or something like that but to be honest, it seems as if microsoft has to act now since they had to screw some ideas and first games so it would be easier to get some games at the release window if they just buy them instead of giving an ip to a third party to develop a game with this ip. that would take some years and i don't think that microsoft already knew about the problems in 2011 or early 2012.

I dont think we will see many exclusive games, just exclusive content.

Around the Network

EA would be a good partner. If the licenses allow, nextbox could be HUGE.

Carl2291 said:

Jeff Gertsmann just said on the newest episode of the Bonus Round that there were major 3rd party exclusives coming this gen. Its hard to believe with how few and far between theyve been for the past 5 or so years but they are coming back apparently big time

BenVTrigger said:
Carl2291 said:

Jeff Gertsmann just said on the newest episode of the Bonus Round that there were major 3rd party exclusives coming this gen. Its hard to believe with how few and far between theyve been for the past 5 or so years but they are coming back apparently big time

I hope so, because its always good to push competition.

I would like them to do something with SEGA.

I doubt they can do anything with Ubisoft. Sony and Ubisoft seem to have a great relationship atm seeing as both Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs have exclusive content on the PS3/PS4.

Also Didn't EA have some sort of early DLC always being available first on PS3 for BF3? Doubt they would do anything that's "exclusive" but maybe early content, yeah sure. EA is too money hungry to create exclusive deals with one company.

Activision same thing that's been happening this generation. One month early DLC on Call of Duty for 360. I personally don't care but there are people out there who buy the 360 version just to play the DLC first.

Japanese developer? No.

Bethesda? I have no idea.